Dynamic Dining cancelled for the rest of the fleet

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot less experience cruising than all ya'll, but I was less than impressed in the MDR last year. As I stated in my post cruise review, I'm not much of a fancy schmancy guy. I like normal food in large portions. The MDR is good for the 16" plate with 2" of food on it, artistically presented, and I'm more of a All You Can Eat guy. So for me, the Wind-jamaire was perfect. I thought it was great, even for dinner. The thing about the DD cancellation is it was such a huge corporate decision, and they didn't really give it a lot of time to become anything special. Very odd.

I agree that they seemed to have put a lot of resources into DD to just up and abandon it. I'm not complaining. I love traditional dining but it does seem like a very expensive experiment. I can't see them undoing the big renovation. That would be insane. My guess is that we just have 3 separate main dining rooms now...and forever (on the O class, anyway)

I have a lot less experience cruising than all ya'll, but I was less than impressed in the MDR last year. As I stated in my post cruise review, I'm not much of a fancy schmancy guy. I like normal food in large portions. The MDR is good for the 16" plate with 2" of food on it, artistically presented, and I'm more of a All You Can Eat guy. So for me, the Wind-jamaire was perfect. I thought it was great, even for dinner. The thing about the DD cancellation is it was such a huge corporate decision, and they didn't really give it a lot of time to become anything special. Very odd.

I always recommend ordering multiple entrees because the portions are on the small side (and I love food).

Agree with Matt, one of the nice things with MDR is you can basically get what you want.

Feel like the portions are small, order double,

Cant decide between the beef or the chicken, order both.

I definitely try not to be wasteful and/or gluttonous but frequently order a salad and an appetizer, or two appetizers if there are several that look good.

I cant remember which menu it is but there is a chicken tikka salad that always conflicts with something else that I like, so I usually order both and eat most of both ;)

Lobster night is of course infamous for ordering multiples ... my mother and son had a close run contest last Thanksgiving. IIRC the final score when to her on the strength of 3 lobsters vs his 2 but he did go 4 rounds on the shrimp and she stopped at 2.

LOL I'm aware of the eat as much as you want, order another this or another that, but I guess I would say I was a bit self conscious. I can do major damage at the Wind-jamaire, but to actually ask for another entree, or another appetizer made me feel funny lol. Maybe this year I'll go for it.

I feel exactly the same way! Last cruise I started with breakfast next cruise will be dinner! Well maybe lunch :) 

I started a little self conscious but over time have come to realize that its not a big deal. I actually find I am more active on a cruise than I am at home (pool, shore excursions, stairs, walking around the ship vs. desk job) so I really don't "blimp out" on the cruise. Not saying you should order two of everything, but an extra appetizer or entrée is not a big deal.

As our waiter would say in response to every request on our last cruise "why not?"

The dining room staff won't bat an eye if you order multiple entrées.  I've done it a couple of times when I couldn't decided; however, I usually end up splitting with my wife and that's how we sample the menu.  I'm much more likely to order two appetizers instead and I tell the server that it's fine to bring both at the same time; if you don't, he or she will serve them by course which can slow things down.

We also found it to be helpful to cruise through the Windjammer before dinner to have a look at the menu items.  While not everything will be found in the Windjammer, a good number of items are and you can get an inkling for what the items look like and even a taste if you're so inclined.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy never liked the idea of it or even My Time Dinning. These ships have move than enough choices with traditional main Dinning Room times. It you do not want early or late sitting on any night go to one of the other choices, or even room service. Things like photos and events get all messed up with my time dinning and  dynamic dinning. Also with these none traditional choices people seem to stay within their own group. I still have contact with people I met 30 years ago through seating at traditional dinning. Most of the cruises we have done over the last few years people seem to isolate themselves. Happy to see Dynamic dinning being reduced.