Canceling BOGO-Sailing in 5 days

new to RC

I purchased the BOGO dining plan but am having second thoughts. It appears that some people have been stuck at venues they did not want.  If this happens, can we cancel our reservations on the ship and get a refund, or do I have to make the decision before I leave.  I have about 24 hours to cancel.    We are sailing on the Navigator on August 26.  Many thanks.  

I would imagine the only people who get 'stuck' are those who leave it to the last minute and try to change at the actual dining time. 

Upon boarding simply visit any specialty restaurant and deal with it as soon as you board.  That's what everyone else is doing.  If you wait until dinner time to make changes the non-procrastinators have likely obtained the popular venues and dining times.  

Be aware that not all dining venues are included in BOGO.  Izumi Hibachi for example is not.  You won't be able to eat there.  Some people who didn't read the terms and conditions may consider this getting stuck at venues they don't want but only because they didn't read the terms and conditions.  

The BOGO is a good way to experiment with specialty dining.  It has to be used on day 1 and day 2, you can't push reservations later into the sailing.  It's offered because the specialty dining venues tend not to be very busy on the first two nights so this is there way to get people to visit these restaurants.

Navigator has a decent amount of specialty restaurants so the BOGO can be a good approach.  Some smaller ships don't have as many restaurants and the BOGO is less appealing on those ships.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I would imagine the only people who get 'stuck' are those who leave it to the last minute and try to change at the actual dining time. 

I tend to agree.  In my experience, the dining packages have a lot of options to choose from as long as you book it all as soon as possible.

I recommend booking your reservations on embarkation day in the afternoon.  

Unless you are someone who needs to eat at a specific restaurant at a specific time(i.e. Chops Grille  on day two at 6:30pm and any other day or time will not work for you), the dining package is well worth it.

We've always done BOGO and , honestly, never had a problem.  We took care of our reservations as soon as we got on board (well, first we got a drink?). They are usually very flexible and often will not make you stick to the first 2 nights.  We've often done night 1 or 2 and pushed the second night until later in the week.  We've always had Izumi included.  Maybe that's something new??  Have fun!

16 hours ago, janza said:

We've always done BOGO and , honestly, never had a problem.  We took care of our reservations as soon as we got on board (well, first we got a drink?). They are usually very flexible and often will not make you stick to the first 2 nights.  We've often done night 1 or 2 and pushed the second night until later in the week.  We've always had Izumi included.  Maybe that's something new??  Have fun!

I'm glad you posted --- I'm tempted to take this promotion, however, Day 2 is Formal Night, and on this upcoming cruise, we're contemplating NOT bring our formal attire ..... so, if we can move the second one to later in the week (non-formal night) -- that would be much better.

On 8/22/2018 at 7:15 AM, coneyraven said:

I'm glad you posted --- I'm tempted to take this promotion, however, Day 2 is Formal Night, and on this upcoming cruise, we're contemplating NOT bring our formal attire ..... so, if we can move the second one to later in the week (non-formal night) -- that would be much better.

We have never brought formal wear. I'm on vacay. Chinos, chino shorts, and polos.

If your sailing offers it, it will be listed in the Cruise Planner under "dining".  The only catch to doing a BOGO is that you must dine the first and second nights of the cruise (although I have heard of some people being allowed to push the second day back....but it is entirely at the discretion of the folks onboard).  The BOGO is also limited in which restaurants qualify but if you're interested in eating at Chops and/or the Italian restaurant (whichever one your ship has) then you'll be fine.  Izumi hibachi doesn't qualify, Chef's Table doesn't qualify and it's hit or miss as to whether Wonderland will work with BOGO.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update.  We did keep the BOGO and really enjoyed it.  I went to Chops as soon as we boarded and made reservations for Giovannis the first night and Chops the second night.  The next morning, I saw that lobster was on the MDR menu for that night and went back to Chops and rescheduled.  BOGO is supposed to be restricted to nights one and two, but i had no trouble switching it to night 4.