Coco Cay vs Labadie

I was watching LovetoCruise’s scope for Coco Cay and she said that she was surprised how small it appeared. Made me wonder which is bigger.  So here are two screenshots from Google Maps that are at the same scale. 

Coco Cay

E4170177-2D6E-427B-9C20-03EAC244C592.thumb.png.8288e4309c5981b33f274a10613a381e.png

Labadie

691D86BE-2B27-442B-ACFD-4ABE19A1C895.thumb.png.496ba82e9126efdea9c44052fcbb973f.png

Coco Cay is significantly bigger then Labadie in physical area but the developed area is slightly smaller. This is part of the reason I loved Coco Cay.  If you kept walking you would eventually leave the rest of the visitors behind and have your own little slice of paradise. Once the “Perfect Day” expansion is complete, the developed area on Coco Cay will be significantly larger than Labadie 

So why does Coco Cay seem smaller.  It is an optical illusion. Coco Cay is an island and flat while Labadie is a peninsula and has more varied geography. 

While I know I will love the new Coco Cay in its own way, part of me is going to miss the undeveloped nature of what it used to be.

1 hour ago, StayFrosty said:

While I know I will love the new Coco Cay in its own way, part of me is going to miss the undeveloped nature of what it used to be.

I agree....the last visit to Coco Cay was the first time I actually spent exploring all over..its big and so relaxing and quiet...felt like a tropical island oasis......and not like WDW.

But that doesn't make Royal any money.....sad to see it change......Labadee to me was busy and commercialized compared to Coco Cay....but now I think it will be the other way around!

I think CocoCay has seemed smaller because there is little to do there other than beach. 

With things like zip lines, water slides and the coaster, plus more distinct areas such as Columbus Cove, Labadee feels bigger.

I'm really looking forward to the Perfect Day expansion so there is more than just beach.   Fresh water pools, swim up bars, water park and more food options are all appealing.  I've never been a huge fan of the buffet lunch on either but now with better restaurants CocoCay may very well win the battle over Labadee.  

19 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm really looking forward to the Perfect Day expansion so there is more than just beach.   Fresh water pools, swim up bars, water park and more food options are all appealing.  I've never been a huge fan of the buffet lunch on either but now with better restaurants CocoCay may very well win the battle over Labadee.  

I am looking forward to it for this reason, too.  Like Sabrina, we really aren't beach people and the option to do many other things, besides laying on the beach, is appealing to me.  It will be interesting, however, to see how the logistics are handled with the "restaurant and bar" areas on Coco Cay seeing as how there are no regularly stocked and maintained areas on Coco Cay - everything has to be brought from the ship.  Or perhaps that will change now ?  I am also interested in finding out how much of the new Coco Cay will be included in the Star Class amenities.  We will be on Anthem in Feb. 2020 in Star Class and I am hoping that all of the amenities (except some of the "pay" thrill rides and the cabanas, etc.) will be included.  I haven't heard a peep about this.  I imagine it's all still being evaluated.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am looking forward to it for this reason, too.  Like Sabrina, we really aren't beach people and the option to do many other things, besides laying on the beach, is appealing to me.  It will be interesting, however, to see how the logistics are handled with the "restaurant and bar" areas on Coco Cay seeing as how there are no regularly stocked and maintained areas on Coco Cay - everything has to be brought from the ship.  Or perhaps that will change now ?  I am also interested in finding out how much of the new Coco Cay will be included in the Star Class amenities.  We will be on Anthem in Feb. 2020 in Star Class and I am hoping that all of the amenities (except some of the "pay" thrill rides and the cabanas, etc.) will be included.  I haven't heard a peep about this.  I imagine it's all still being evaluated.

At Labadee they store some things there.  The OA class ships are used to 'stock' certain consumables including food for the 500 full time employees.  This was explained to us on during an all access tour on Harmony.  

Once CocoCay has a pier and begins accepting OA class, I suspect the same will occur.  OA class will bring supplies that are stocked on the island while the buffet lunch will still come from the ship du jour.

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2018 at 1:20 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The only edge I will give to Labadee is that they have Barefoot Beach there, and it's more quiet, whereas Coco Cay did not have a suites area. 

On 8/21/2018 at 8:45 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am also interested in finding out how much of the new Coco Cay will be included in the Star Class amenities. 

@Lovetocruise2002 and @WAAAYTOOO , I've been reading and trying to research and have not found anything yet, so I thought I would ask you two, I have never been to Coco Cay but will be stopping there in October of 2019, right before everything is scheduled to be completed.

Is there really not going to be a private "Suite Area" on Coco Cay like Barefoot Beach on Labadee? All I can find is the mention of the Coco Beach Club, but it says it is not exclusive, for a fee anyone can go, the over water cabanas they mention seem cost prohibitive, I think $750-1500 depending on the season. Did I miss something?

John, from all I have read, it looks like there will NOT be an exclusive suites area in the new Coco Cay configuration.  I am interested to see how it comes out, too.  The “old” Coco Cay Suites area was much smaller than the suites area at Labadee, but I liked it better, myself, for that very reason.  The Coco Cay Suites area had its own bar, restrooms and buffet area and it was all very close.  What was NOT close was the beach area, but that was not a problem for me as I rarely go swimming anyway.  I do not know the status of the “old” suites/cabana area of Coco Cay.  We’ll be going to Coco Cay twice in Feb but I don’t expect the new area to be open by then. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

25 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The Coco Cay Suites area had its own bar, restrooms and

HI Raye, we too will be there in February,  We are in an Owners Suite on Grandeur.  Is this something we have to pre-book as I don't see it on the Cruise Planner or does the Concierge do it? Never been there before so I have zero frame of reference.  Also you said it was close.  It is close enough for hubby who will be in a scooter or wheelchair? Thanks Raye!

2 hours ago, tiny260 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 and @WAAAYTOOO , I've been reading and trying to research and have not found anything yet, so I thought I would ask you two, I have never been to Coco Cay but will be stopping there in October of 2019, right before everything is scheduled to be completed.

Is there really not going to be a private "Suite Area" on Coco Cay like Barefoot Beach on Labadee? All I can find is the mention of the Coco Beach Club, but it says it is not exclusive, for a fee anyone can go, the over water cabanas they mention seem cost prohibitive, I think $750-1500 depending on the season. Did I miss something?

I agree with Raye.  From what I have read, and heard from others, there will not be.  

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

With Suite passengers, Pinnacle and the ships that offer Star class stopping there (I'm on Harmony and looked at Symphony, both will have stops) I can't imagine RCCL not offering some sort of perk, even if it's just free access to the Beach Club. Like Raye says, wait and see.

It was discussed a lot on that FB group that your wife and I belong to.  Many there are also disappointed that they are not offering anything as of yet.

16 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

HI Raye, we too will be there in February,  We are in an Owners Suite on Grandeur.  Is this something we have to pre-book as I don't see it on the Cruise Planner or does the Concierge do it? Never been there before so I have zero frame of reference.  Also you said it was close.  It is close enough for hubby who will be in a scooter or wheelchair? Thanks Raye!

Lorraine, if you want a cabana then I strongly recommend that you have your Concierge book it ahead of time.  If you just want to hang out in the suites area, you don't have to do anything.  As I said above though, I'm not even sure that area is still there !  From some of the things I've read, they have moved the cabanas from the rocky area that was not near the beach to a location right ON the beach.  So I have no idea of the status of Coco Cay at all.  This is definitely a good question for the Concierge.

If it is in the same old location (doubtful, actually) it was pretty close to the tender disembark area and it would have been accessible with the big wheeled chairs.  But if they moved the area somewhere else, I have no idea where it is, how far it is or if it is still chair accessible.  I won't be going to Coco Cay until Feb. so I will have to rely on others who might go before me or just wait.

As to John's question about Star Class access/perks, this is something that I am very interested to find out as we will be there 3 times on Anthem in SC. I also cannot believe that they would not give the SC SOME kind of benefit.  It may just be as simple as granting eating/drinking rights to extend to the bars and restaurants on the island.  This is what I strongly suspect will happen but I also cannot see them giving complimentary access to any of the paid attractions.  My guess is that they haven't made any decisions about such things yet !

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If it is in the same old location (doubtful, actually) it was pretty close to the tender disembark area and it would have been accessible with the big wheeled chairs.  But if they moved the area somewhere else, I have no idea where it is, how far it is or if it is still chair accessible.  I won't be going to Coco Cay until Feb. so I will have to rely on others who might go before me or just wait.

Thanks Raye, I will just wait. Don't want to spend $$ we can't have access to. I'm hoping Francis is still the Concierge when we sail.  I think we are the last sailing before her unexpected drydock.  Not even sure the pier will be completed from what I'm reading here.LOL!