Shore excursions and valuables

Stuman

Hi everyone, I have a question about water excursions and your valuables. I'm going to St. Kitts in November and we are doing the dolphin experience.

Has anyone done this excursion? Do they have lockers for your valuables and a place to change out of your bathing suit? We want to stay off the ship and walk around St. Kitts and not be in our wet bathing suits.

Interested in your experiences with the dolphins.

Hi @Stuman, welcome to the boards if you weren’t already!

I did that excursion just this past April, the “push pull and swim” option. You do get a single small but pretty deep cubby-hole style locker to put all of your stuff into, but only one for your family. It was just big enough to hold everyone’s outer clothes plus the small purses / bags / backpacks we all had. There are men’s and ladies’ rooms in the small snack hut next to the souvenir area, which you’ll have to use for changing as there is no other dedicated changing area. We just kept our swimsuits on as we planned to go back to the ship afterward, but no reason you couldn’t go with your plan. Not much outside the port village, really, and the people there are very pushy with trying to get you to go into a store, take a taxi, take a pic with a monkey, etc.

The dolphin excursion itself was great, and we all really enjoyed it. The dolphins were friendly and fun to watch and interact with, and the people running the show clearly know and care about them a lot. You’ll need to decide if you want to buy pictures or not ahead of time, and depending on how close to return time you’re running you may not have time to try and haggle for things like the full CD with all images.

I will say on the latter, the photographers take a LOT of pictures. We had around 250 or so on our CD, and out of those I judged about 50 if them to be keepers. Just going by those 50, the price I paid for the disc ($210, IIRC, as we had no time to haggle) was actually not unreasonable. That works out to $4 per keeper, and they’re stored on the disc at full resolution (12 or 16 megapixel as I recall; not at my home computer, so will have to confirm later, but more than large enough to crop as desired and still get a good 8 x 10 or slightly larger print).

Forgot to note that the locker included a key on an elastic wrist strap that I kept on me the whole time we were in the water. And the lockers were in an open, visible area outside, right by the docks. I think that they had a couple of staff keeping an eye on the area while everyone was going through the activities, but won’t swear to it.