Cruise Dilemma-Need Opinions

HI All!  I really would like peoples opinions for my dilemma.  Some of you may know my hubby is currently handicapped, can't walk well still trying to figure it out, hopefully soon.  We are booked on January 26th on the Equinox (sorry sister ship) for Western Caribbean from Miami.  My husband thinks it will be a burden and hassle to fly currently (more for me than him).  So I was looking and our wonderful Lady G (Grandeur) has a cruise February 14th doing the East Coast Nassau etc.  It's available for the cabin I want and we re only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Baltimore.. My concern is a few things. Spending all that money to be on a cruise in the cold weather (and still maybe cool in FL and Nassau) and the itinerary doesn't thrill me except maybe Port Canaveral and Charleston. Also, as I booked the Equinox a year ago I got a Sky Suite with discounts for about $2300PP, including their 4 perks for Suites (drinks, gratuities, $300OBC and WiFi for 2) so even with flights etc Both come out to a wash financially.  There's a comfort level playing in with Grandeur as we were just on it and he saw how they treated handicapped people which was beyond anything, they were wonderful.  I suspect it might be the same on Equinox.  I haven't listened to Matt's Podcast either today which I thought was "timing is everything"! 

Any insight and opinion is welcome as I've gone back and forth now since the weekend and my head is about to split open! LOL  Thank you very much!   

3 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Spending all that money to be on a cruise in the cold weather (and still maybe cool in FL and Nassau) and the itinerary doesn't thrill me except maybe Port Canaveral and Charleston.

At the end of the day, you will be on a cruise ship and having done a few winter cruises from the north, it's still a lot of fun!  Certainly better than being home and cold!

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

At the end of the day, you will be on a cruise ship and having done a few winter cruises from the north, it's still a lot of fun!  Certainly better than being home and cold!

So true Matt.  I assured him he would not be a burden traveling to Miami to me.  People do it all the time, I just want to do what he's most comfortable with. But the Grandeur has a special place for us so maybe that's what we should do.

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

So true Matt.  I assured him he would not be a burden traveling to Miami to me.  People do it all the time, I just want to do what he's most comfortable with. But the Grandeur has a special place for us so maybe that's what we should do.

What does your gut tell you? In past experience, your gut feeling is the one you should go with and don't look back after that ?

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What does your gut tell you? In past experience, your gut feeling is the one you should go with and don't look back after that ?

Honestly Sabrina, I always follow my gut, but this time my gut keeps going back and forth especially when I saw your sailaway yesterday from Miami. Like these are Third World problems right!!! 

this time my gut keeps going back and forth especially when I saw your sailaway yesterday from Miami.

I've had situations like that.  It's good, but not perfect.  As long as you can live with the downsides, I say go for it.  Going on a cruise is still better than not going on one, and paying through the nose for a superior option doesnt make sense either.

Also, my gut always tells me I'm hungry.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

HI All!  I really would like peoples opinions for my dilemma.  Some of you may know my hubby is currently handicapped, can't walk well still trying to figure it out, hopefully soon.  We are booked on January 26th on the Equinox (sorry sister ship) for Western Caribbean from Miami.  My husband thinks it will be a burden and hassle to fly currently (more for me than him).  So I was looking and our wonderful Lady G (Grandeur) has a cruise February 14th doing the East Coast Nassau etc.  It's available for the cabin I want and we re only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Baltimore.. My concern is a few things. Spending all that money to be on a cruise in the cold weather (and still maybe cool in FL and Nassau) and the itinerary doesn't thrill me except maybe Port Canaveral and Charleston. Also, as I booked the Equinox a year ago I got a Sky Suite with discounts for about $2300PP, including their 4 perks for Suites (drinks, gratuities, $300OBC and WiFi for 2) so even with flights etc Both come out to a wash financially.  There's a comfort level playing in with Grandeur as we were just on it and he saw how they treated handicapped people which was beyond anything, they were wonderful.  I suspect it might be the same on Equinox.  I haven't listened to Matt's Podcast either today which I thought was "timing is everything"! 

Any insight and opinion is welcome as I've gone back and forth now since the weekend and my head is about to split open! LOL  Thank you very much!   

Here's something that hasn't been brought up yet.  February is still winter; you run the risk of bad weather and having flight issues. If you stay with a port you can drive to, you'll have more of a peaceful trip in.  if you know bad weather is coming, you can always drive in the night before and grab a cheap hotel nearby.  If flying is already going to make your husband uncomfortable, maybe Lady G is a better choice.  Save flying for other times of the year?

The only other thing that comes to mind to ask is why are you going on the cruise - is it just to get away?  Or was there something special abut the Equinox that you wanted to sail on her? Are any of the ports on your bucket list that you really want to go to?  If the answer for the latter two questions is yes, then go on Equinox.  If the answer is yes to the first question, stick with what you are comfortable with and go on Lady G.  You already know you'll have an amazing time, and no matter what, it WILL be warmer than up north!  So it's a win!  

13 minutes ago, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

The only other thing that comes to mind to ask is why are you going on the cruise - is it just to get away?  Or was there something special abut the Equinox that you wanted to sail on her? Are any of the ports on your bucket list that you really want to go to?  If the answer for the latter two questions is yes, then go on Equinox.  If the answer is yes to the first question, stick with what you are comfortable with and go on Lady G.  You already know you'll have an amazing time, and no matter what, it WILL be warmer than up north!  So it's a win!  

Kathy, that is EXACTLY what I was fighting.  Flying in bad weather, getting nervous.  He just didn't want to put a burden on me with walkers, wheelchairs etc. The ports of call on Equinox I've been to, hubby hasn't but he has a comfort level Grandeur.  As you can see we booked on many more cruises, the next one we fly to will be for his birthday Nov 2019!

Sooooo, doing my happy dance, I just booked the Grandeur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:15_yum: 

Doing my Happy Dance! I listened to my gut (my real gut not the one that felt guilty canceling a cruise i've had booked since last August! LOL)  I booked Miss Lady G!  GS, the same one we had in May!!  It will be wonderful.  I can't explain it, the January Equinox cruise has been bothering me long before hubby couldn't navigate as well.  Call it intuition, or whatever, and has nothing to do with the ship itself at all, it was just bothering me.  Lady G here we come!!!  

11 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Doing my Happy Dance! I listened to my gut (my real gut not the one that felt guilty canceling a cruise i've had booked since last August! LOL)  I booked Miss Lady G!  GS, the same one we had in May!!  It will be wonderful.  I can't explain it, the January Equinox cruise has been bothering me long before hubby couldn't navigate as well.  Call it intuition, or whatever, and has nothing to do with the ship itself at all, it was just bothering me.  Lady G here we come!!!  

Good for you. Enjoy it.

Hi, I am the one that did the latest blog podcast about traveling/cruising using a wheelchair. Sorry I didn’t see this post earlier, I would have loved to help with your decision. You certainly can’t go wrong with Lady G! There is a lot to be said for knowing what you are getting into and feeling comfortable! 

Having sailed the Equinox I can tell you that you would have been in great hands! Especially with the reservations you had. So definitely try another time. Flying with someone that requires a wheelchair, can be  intimidating for sure, but it is easier than one might think, and doesn’t have to be a burden on your partner. If you have any questions I am more than happy to help!

Happy cruising! 

18 minutes ago, Laurac22 said:

Hi, I am the one that did the latest blog podcast about traveling/cruising using a wheelchair. Sorry I didn’t see this post earlier, I would have loved to help with your decision. You certainly can’t go wrong with Lady G! There is a lot to be said for knowing what you are getting into and feeling comfortable! 

Having sailed the Equinox I can tell you that you would have been in great hands! Especially with the reservations you had. So definitely try another time. Flying with someone that requires a wheelchair, can be  intimidating for sure, but it is easier than one might think, and doesn’t have to be a burden on your partner. If you have any questions I am more than happy to help!

Happy cruising! 

Hi Laura! I am still trying to listen to the Podcast. I think we would have been fine with Equinox but this is all so new to us I wanted him to feel comfortable. We are leaving in two weeks on Summit and now I plan to do Equinox when she comes out of drydock. By then either he’s walking again or we will have a Comfort level.

so sweet of you to reach out and again I plan on listening to the podcast.

Hi Laura! I am still trying to listen to the Podcast. I think we would have been fine with Equinox but this is all so new to us I wanted him to feel comfortable. We are leaving in two weeks on Summit and now I plan to do Equinox when she comes out of drydock. By then either he’s walking again or we will have a Comfort level.

so sweet of you to reach out and again I plan on listening to the podcast.

Great! If you have any specific questions after listening to the podcast, let me know! 

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

Kathy, that is EXACTLY what I was fighting.  Flying in bad weather, getting nervous.  He just didn't want to put a burden on me with walkers, wheelchairs etc. The ports of call on Equinox I've been to, hubby hasn't but he has a comfort level Grandeur.  As you can see we booked on many more cruises, the next one we fly to will be for his birthday Nov 2019!

Sooooo, doing my happy dance, I just booked the Grandeur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:15_yum: 

Yay!  I can't wait to give her a try.  April 2019!!