“Moments on Mariner” – Mariner of the Seas– August 13-17, 2018

Lovetocruise2002

Very interesting...usually a big complaint for years was the lack of late night food options when sailing Royal. Now its like they have gone overboard the other way...offering free late night food as well as snacks you can pay for. Cant have It both ways.....

I have a feeling that there isn't much after 1am??(WJ and Playmakers not serving food?)....which is when usually when the bars/clubs start to empty out(or later).....

Were they offering any discounts or deals at Playmakers?..Their food looks better but not sure I am ok with spending that kinda money for food when there is free food still available.

1 minute ago, cruiselife said:

Have you noticed if the pub has been any less crowded than on other ships with Playmakers being right there? I thought it seemed odd to have both venues because they seem so similar and I would assume attract similar clientele.

The pub was quiet the first two nights but last night is was quite busy. Playmakers has been about 1/2 full each night that we have passed by.

Just now, monctonguy said:

Very interesting...usually a big complaint for years was the lack of late night food options when sailing Royal. Now its like they have gone overboard the other way...offering free late night food as well as snacks you can pay for. Cant have It both ways.....

I have a feeling that there isn't much after 1am??(WJ and Playmakers not serving food?)....which is when usually when the bars/clubs start to empty out(or later).....

Were they offering any discounts or deals at Playmakers?..Their food looks better but not sure I am ok with spending that kinda money for food when there is free food still available.

WJ runs until 12:30am and after that it's just Cafe promenade.

Unless I could arrange some kind of B2B on her, I don't see how I could justify sailing her with airfare for 4, but I have to say she really looks impressive after all the changes!

That sundae on the Playmakers menu is interesting. Five scoops of Ben & Jerrys, which is presumably a large plus a medium, plus the toppings listed and the souvenir bucket its served in. Price actually seems surprisingly reasonable, given the large + medium at B&J's is $7.25, and I'm assuming there is a surcharge there for toppings if you get more than one or two.

The new Solarium looks fantastic! I hope that's something they'll do for the AMPED program on all of the ships getting updates.

I had no idea Boleros had such a great drink menu. Does that look similar to what you've seen on other ships? I'll definitely have to stop at the one on Anthem for a mojito or two, just to mix it up with my usual margaritas. And speaking of... the tequila selection there beats anything I saw at any other bar on Freedom!

26 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Unless I could arrange some kind of B2B on her, I don't see how I could justify sailing her with airfare for 4, but I have to say she really looks impressive after all the changes!

That sundae on the Playmakers menu is interesting. Five scoops of Ben & Jerrys, which is presumably a large plus a medium, plus the toppings listed and the souvenir bucket its served in. Price actually seems surprisingly reasonable, given the large + medium at B&J's is $7.25, and I'm assuming there is a surcharge there for toppings if you get more than one or two.

The new Solarium looks fantastic! I hope that's something they'll do for the AMPED program on all of the ships getting updates.

I had no idea Boleros had such a great drink menu. Does that look similar to what you've seen on other ships? I'll definitely have to stop at the one on Anthem for a mojito or two, just to mix it up with my usual margaritas. And speaking of... the tequila selection there beats anything I saw at any other bar on Freedom!

The Boleros menu looks pretty standard to me. I like their peach Margarita there. And keep an eye on airfare. We paid less than $1000 for all 4 of us. About $232pp RT. from DTW.

I am defn even more excited now for my Oct cruise on her....they have defn given it a tropical look and feel but still not to much so it doesn't feel totally different

I defn jealous of the airfare you pay!..thanks to high airfare out this way, I have yet to be able to afford a week long cruise.....when its close to $1200 for 2 ppl just to get their and back, it makes for a very expensive vacation before you even get onboard! (last time I checked WJ wanted $1187 per person...still haven't booked yet..may have to start walking...lol)

25 minutes ago, KLA said:

That's actually pretty awesome ?

Kayla...all I can say is cruise like crazy before you have kids ?

25 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I am defn even more excited now for my Oct cruise on her....they have defn given it a tropical look and feel but still not to much so it doesn't feel totally different

I defn jealous of the airfare you pay!..thanks to high airfare out this way, I have yet to be able to afford a week long cruise.....when its close to $1200 for 2 ppl just to get their and back, it makes for a very expensive vacation before you even get onboard! (last time I checked WJ wanted $1187 per person...still haven't booked yet..may have to start walking...lol)

Solution...move to Ontario and become "ontarioguy" instead ?

I can't remember, did you book the 3 or 4 night sailing?

Thank you for providing insights and photos on this new ship! Our sailing is on Labor Day in a few weeks and I couldn't be more excited! My kids (5 and 7) are really excited to try the Skypad. By any chance did you run into any sales for the Escape Room challenge? I've never done one, and I am looking forward to participating in the one on the ship!

Thanks again!

Late to this party and binging on your blog today now that everyone is settled in school.  Haven't even tried to watch your scopes but maybe in a few days!  Great job on the blog and pictures!

I can't believe your RT plane ticket price.  That really makes it a great deal as that is around my price one way.  I would agree with @JLMoran to somehow make it a B2B to make it worth the airfare.

While I know Harmony is your favorite, would you go on Mariner again?   For the price, it seems to be an great option.  

10 minutes ago, jackienav05 said:

Thank you for providing insights and photos on this new ship! Our sailing is on Labor Day in a few weeks and I couldn't be more excited! My kids (5 and 7) are really excited to try the Skypad. By any chance did you run into any sales for the Escape Room challenge? I've never done one, and I am looking forward to participating in the one on the ship!

Thanks again!

There were no sales for the Escape room that we came across. Just specialty dining. Today we were offered kids eat free!

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Kayla...all I can say is cruise like crazy before you have kids ?

Solution...move to Ontario and become "ontarioguy" instead ?

I can't remember, did you book the 3 or 4 night sailing?

haha...if I move I am becoming "floridaguy".......I would be cruising every weekend!

4 day cruise...really hoping to go all out this winter and do a 7 day one..that's the goal..have seen some "cheap" airfare to San Juan out of Halifax so that may be the way to do it....

16 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Late to this party and binging on your blog today now that everyone is settled in school.  Haven't even tried to watch your scopes but maybe in a few days!  Great job on the blog and pictures!

I can't believe your RT plane ticket price.  That really makes it a great deal as that is around my price one way.  I would agree with @JLMoran to somehow make it a B2B to make it worth the airfare.

While I know Harmony is your favorite, would you go on Mariner again?   For the price, it seems to be an great option.  

I would under the right conditions. I would still pick a 7+night sailing any day over Mariner but if I am looking for a quick getaway and the airfare is good then yes, I would definitely sail her again.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

That would put a damper on your day! Now you have to just figure out how you can wiggle in another on Christmas break! LOL 

That definitely won't happen! We have too big of a family to leave them at Christmas. 

1 hour ago, bellemiche said:

If only our flights for our March cruise on Harmony were that low!!! ? 

I know! Whatever we saved this time we're going to more than make up for next cruise!! ?

Dinner Night 4:

Wine List

IMG_7353.thumb.JPG.ef3689e8254f6b47be1aca273e5b80f9.JPG

IMG_7354.thumb.JPG.f6a578c17b5cf23d68481788eca72405.JPGMenu:

IMG_7355.thumb.JPG.e38f383c4932459615f4e753d94c0b8f.JPG

Greek Salad:

IMG_7357.thumb.JPG.0799a6987b32a3f6e351071acc312013.JPG

Pork Tacos:

IMG_7356.thumb.JPG.e8b62399b533c71fcf6e7909e98644cd.JPG

Chicken Cordon Bleu:

IMG_7358.thumb.JPG.a8597f8a9e190b4d0b36d404fe3b0640.JPG

Garlic Tiger Shrimp:

IMG_7359.thumb.JPG.910b7dfde6bb37459ac893aaa89b8eac.JPG

Tagliatelle:

Probably the best dish this cruise. 

IMG_7360.thumb.JPG.f9855831d4ab3fb8335c47c01a0ffca6.JPG

Warm Donuts:

IMG_7361.thumb.JPG.89e73de3f313bca6c630fe85a7fd28b0.JPG

Overall dinners in the MDR were satisfactory.  We were not "wowed" by anything but it was not terrible either. Service was beyond excellent. That was all to the credit of our waiter, Jonathan. Best waiter so far on any Royal Caribbean cruise, and that includes CK. And yes, I did miss CK ??

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Dinner Night 4:

Wine List

IMG_7353.thumb.JPG.ef3689e8254f6b47be1aca273e5b80f9.JPG

IMG_7354.thumb.JPG.f6a578c17b5cf23d68481788eca72405.JPGMenu:

IMG_7355.thumb.JPG.e38f383c4932459615f4e753d94c0b8f.JPG

Greek Salad:

IMG_7357.thumb.JPG.0799a6987b32a3f6e351071acc312013.JPG

Pork Tacos:

IMG_7356.thumb.JPG.e8b62399b533c71fcf6e7909e98644cd.JPG

Chicken Cordon Bleu:

IMG_7358.thumb.JPG.a8597f8a9e190b4d0b36d404fe3b0640.JPG

Garlic Tiger Shrimp:

IMG_7359.thumb.JPG.910b7dfde6bb37459ac893aaa89b8eac.JPG

Tagliatelle:

Probably the best dish this cruise. 

IMG_7360.thumb.JPG.f9855831d4ab3fb8335c47c01a0ffca6.JPG

Warm Donuts:

IMG_7361.thumb.JPG.89e73de3f313bca6c630fe85a7fd28b0.JPG

Overall dinners in the MDR were satisfactory.  We were not "wowed" by anything but it was not terrible either. Service was beyond excellent. That was all to the credit of our waiter, Jonathan. Best waiter so far on any Royal Caribbean cruise, and that includes CK. And yes, I did miss CK ??

No Lobstar ??

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I would under the right conditions. I would still pick a 7+night sailing any day over Mariner but if I am looking for a quick getaway and the airfare is good then yes, I would definitely sail her again.

Agree with you! Did you get to try the WJ for dinner? I was impressed with the WJ buffet offerings at night.

We wrapped up our last night on Mariner with a drink at the Schooner Bar. We were lucky as Billy Pando is on this sailing and he is well known amongst RCperiscopers so we had to check him out. Not much luck two nights ago as it was my daughter's bday and last night he did not play. So with our last night, we left the kids in the stateroom and headed down to see Billy. I've heard him on Periscope many times, and was already impressed. As a piano player myself, I simply love to just sit and listen. In person, and live, he did not disappoint. I could have sat for hours if I did not have my kids with me. Hopefully one day we will run into Billy again. 

To top off the evening and the cruise, I had my first Kraken Lava Flow in honour of @Matt and all who are sailing Mariner before him. I scoped it as requested by @PRC so those of you who are interested can watch the replay. Sad to report that I could not taste the difference between Kraken and any other rum. But then I am not a rum expert either. Lol. 

Final Thoughts:

I am repeating myself but overall, RC has a great product here in Mariner. As many of you know, I am a huge OA class fan and I am quite critical about the ships I sail. Happy to report that Mariner is smaller but does not feel that small. With all the new additions, she has an OA class feel to her. Rest assured, I am not turning into a small ship girl, but I would not hesitate at all to recommend Mariner to anyone, especially those sailing for the first time. 

The crew on this ship is excellent. Not one single crew member that I came across seemed overworked or tired or rude. All were excellent and friendly and very personable. The CD, Hugo, was a hoot! Such a character! An amazing amount of energy. Very funny and animated guy. 

My kids had a great time on Mariner.  They really liked the Sky Pad. When we talked over dinner, they said they still prefer Anthem over Mariner because of the Sea Plex and the fact that they did not care for the salt water pools on Mariner. Other than that, they fully enjoyed themselves. One random thought I did have here regarding kids is that they should have put in Splashaway Bay. If I had younger kids, it would bother me that there would be not as many outdoor activities for the younger kids. My sister (her kids are 4,6) said that she would not sail Mariner for that very reason (lack of water activities for young kids).

Our stateroom location on Deck 11 (1104) was a perfect location. The hallway was so quiet and private and it was great being so close to the solarium, pool, and WJ.  It was nice having the room new and fresh. This sailing I did realize that with tween girls, it is getting very difficult to share a room with one bathroom. Thank goodness I have a patient husband. There were times this cruise where things got quite dicey with the kids. Lol. First world problems.

Thank you all for following along with us this cruise. Like I've said before, having you with us makes it more fun. 

Sadly there really will be no more cruising or blogging for us for the next 6 1/2 months ? For real this time!  Heading back into the classroom to shape our next generation. But the wait will be worth it because our next cruise over March break will be our very first Star Class sailing on my favourite ship, Harmony of the Seas. And of course, I will be back to blog and scope that ?

Thank you so much for being so generous with your time.

My husband and I have really enjoyed your blogs and scopes.

We prefer Oasis class ships as well however thanks to all your wonderful information we are

considering booking the Mariner.Have a safe trip home and we are looking forward to hearing all about your

Star class experience on Harmony next year.

55 minutes ago, ABT said:

Thank you so much for being so generous with your time.

My husband and I have really enjoyed your blogs and scopes.

We prefer Oasis class ships as well however thanks to all your wonderful information we are

considering booking the Mariner.Have a safe trip home and we are looking forward to hearing all about your

Star class experience on Harmony next year.

Glad you enjoyed following along. If you haven't booked Mariner yet, stay tuned, @twangster is sailing her in a few weeks and he has a huge track record of making people spend money ?