“Moments on Mariner” – Mariner of the Seas– August 13-17, 2018

Lovetocruise2002

7 hours ago, Sweety said:

We looked at those suites. They look very roomy. We booked the panoramic suites on deck 10. No balcony.

Do you mean the panoramic suites on Deck 12? And yes those are brand new too. 

15 minutes ago, KLA said:

We have our first ever JS on Mariner in October and I am absolutely LOVING the pictures! That room is SO BIG! ?

Also - from that night 1 MDR menu, that grilled polenta veggie dish was one of my absolute FAVORITES from Adventure in February. We are only planning on doing night 1 in the MDR (in favor of Izumi and Jamie's the next two nights) so I'm really excited that that's the one on our menu!!! 

The room is surprisingly spacious. I expected it to feel not as wide as it is. Not sure how the square footage compares but it even feels slightly bigger than the Junior suite we had on Anthem. The balcony also feels a bit deeper. 

Also, regarding the menus, @PRC had posted in a FB group that they have a 7 night menu that they rotate through in no particular order. It may not be your Night 1 menu. If you scroll through the FB insiders posts to the beginning of July when he was on, he posted all 7 menus.  However, the menu for dinner is posted on screens outside all the dining rooms in the morning, so you could check and move stuff around. 

7 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I got the spaghetti bolognese twice in the MDR. It's surprisingly good.

D12 is a huge pasta fan. She already said that she might be getting that again this week.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The room is surprisingly spacious. I expected it to feel not as wide as it is. Not sure how the square footage compares but it even feels slightly bigger than the Junior suite we had on Anthem. The balcony also feels a bit deeper. 

How are you liking her compared to Oasis? It sounds like you are having a ball!

Good morning @Lovetocruise2002

Just returned to the office today after a short weekend trip to the cottage and noticed your live blog aboard Mariner ? Totally agree with your thoughts on sailaway from Miami, really going to miss this experience as my next two cruises are out of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral ? Loving your review, hope Day Two is a fantastic one! 

29 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

How are you liking her compared to Oasis? It sounds like you are having a ball!

Well nothing compares to Oasis class but this ship definitely has an Oasis class feel to it with the new additions. IMO, it is perfect for the first time cruiser who wants a taste for cruising.  We are having a great time so far. No complaints.

3 minutes ago, accio7 said:

Good morning @Lovetocruise2002

Just returned to the office today after a short weekend trip to the cottage and noticed your live blog aboard Mariner ? Totally agree with your thoughts on sailaway from Miami, really going to miss this experience as my next two cruises are out of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral ? Loving your review, hope Day Two is a fantastic one! 

Thank for following along. Today D9 turns 10 so it's all about swimming, slides, and Sorrento's pizza. ?

Day 2 Nassau:

No plans to get off the ship today.  Getting ready to head off to Deck 12 to check out the slides. We had breakfast in the MDR today. I found myself missing CK this morning. There is a sit down menu for breakfast but also a small section of cold cuts, bread, and fresh fruit. Here is the menu. I actually forgot to take food pics ? We ordered the Express Breakfast. It was ok. The best part was that we did not have to fight the crowd in the WJ. 

IMG_7202.thumb.JPG.b7c388aa6f95ded5c3af52befc43a47e.JPG

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Also, regarding the menus, @PRC had posted in a FB group that they have a 7 night menu that they rotate through in no particular order. It may not be your Night 1 menu. If you scroll through the FB insiders posts to the beginning of July when he was on, he posted all 7 menus.  

Oh!! Thanks for the heads up on that! That's a bit different from the past. 

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Well nothing compares to Oasis class but this ship definitely has an Oasis class feel to it with the new additions. IMO, it is perfect for the first time cruiser who wants a taste for cruising.  

I think that was exactly the strategy when they AMPED Mariner and immediately placed her into the 3/4 night FL short cruise market.  

Instead of having people experience the oldest and smallest ships as their first cruise as they test the waters on cheap short cruises, have them experience something that leaves them with a desire to cruise again, and again.  If they later try NCL or Carnival in this same short cruise market, they will be left with a 'should have sailed Royal' moment.

13 minutes ago, RRoman7 said:

Thank you for this post!  We are sailing on the 11/19/18 Mariner so all of this info and the menu info is so helpful!  Keep on having a blast!

You're welcome. We are gathering lots of ship photos today and will try to post tomorrow or Thursday. Stay tuned ?

1 minute ago, bellemiche said:

Happy 10th birthday! ?

I passed it along that Ms. S wished her a happy bday ?

Just now, twangster said:

I think that was exactly the strategy when they AMPED Mariner and immediately placed her into the 3/4 night FL short cruise market.  

Instead of having people experience the oldest and smallest ships as their first cruise as they test the waters on cheap short cruises, have them experience something that leaves them with a desire to cruise again, and again.  If they later try NCL or Carnival in this same short cruise market, they will be left with a 'should have sailed Royal' moment.

^^this. As usual, you said it way better ?

Tip time...if you do not have your heart set on getting off the ship, then stay on. Barely any lines this morning. Kids have already swam, gone on slides, climbed the Lucky Climber, all with little to no lines and crowds. Now they are playing ping pong with no one around. 

Pool crowd:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bkLu5jF4TlFhYVJPT2V3UWJ8MXlwSmRZcnlkTXF4V-UMsaTQMSL0Xm-UHWHQkWBApUiyKLxJX8QZc4x0gfn1

Slides:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bkLvJjF4TlFhYVJPT2V3UWJ8MWRqeFhuQXllcGpHWvDD25g5QBjwSrcrGrinmTaU-smcNXai_uYl7dYGnzVc

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Tip time...if you do not have your heart set on getting off the ship, then stay on. Barely any lines this morning. Kids have already swam, gone on slides, climbed the Lucky Climber, all with little to no lines and crowds. Now they are playing ping pong with no one around. 

YES, best tip ever!!  Was on DCL in 2006 and we got back onboard REAL early on the Nassau stop. we were the ONLY 3 people at the pool.  typically it is over run by children!

7 minutes ago, rjac said:

Uhh, was there an "abandon ship drill" that you folks missed or were you in a really great port that sucked everyone off the ship? :3_grin: 

We were in Nassau. Until midnight tonight. The pools filled up in the afternoon but it was super quiet in the morning when we took the pics. 

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We were in Nassau. Until midnight tonight. The pools filled up in the afternoon but it was super quiet in the morning when we took the pics. 

I actually love being on the ship when we are in port. For me at least in the past, if I've been there done that, nothing like an empty ship! I love all your pics (or hubby's!) and the weather really looks so great for all of you! I hope they sang Happy Birthday to your daughter tonight at dinner. She must be over the moon with all the attention, something she will never forget!

4 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I actually love being on the ship when we are in port. For me at least in the past, if I've been there done that, nothing like an empty ship! I love all your pics (or hubby's!) and the weather really looks so great for all of you! I hope they sang Happy Birthday to your daughter tonight at dinner. She must be over the moon with all the attention, something she will never forget!

She was pretty excited all day! The sang for her at breakfast and dinner ?

Dinner Night 2:

I have to be honest...dinner was a little less than ok tonight. Food is subjective, and my opinions are my own, but both Hubby and I thought that there was nothing that stood out tonight in quality or flavour.  Tonight I missed CK a lot.  Service however was 10+!  We sat with the same waiter again, Jonathan, who went above and beyond expectations. D10 was in a bit of a mood by dinner (bday excitement all day and mood crashing right in time for dinner) and he went out of his way to make her smile. 

IMG_7247.thumb.JPG.aee0fa0d7c1293501f87fefd037d9ecf.JPG

Iceberg Wedge:

IMG_7249.thumb.JPG.a444b164a5922319e84915527d7774f5.JPG

Duck À L'Orange: the quality of meat was not great with this one. 

IMG_7251.thumb.JPG.9cb66f0a17fcbdb09c7011bc7a761713.JPG

Vegetable Casserole: this was probably my favourite dish tonight. 

IMG_7252.thumb.JPG.d4bf5c73353810cbdb72ead01779b86f.JPG

Beef Tenderloin:

IMG_7254.thumb.JPG.7f4e3a4f68bef372fb63b0ba372e6689.JPG

Grand Marnier Soufflé: 

IMG_7258.thumb.JPG.91c7e0fd2b47c989b1df0a9e8180f62e.JPG

Apple Pie:

IMG_7257.thumb.JPG.643962a1fc76408d784cdb1ce9eba20e.JPG

Royal Cheesecake:

IMG_7259.thumb.JPG.2fda0465cb81a0cf7c200604ebff478a.JPG

I am still confused as to which we should check off on the post cruise survey that the server asked for good ratings. Our server has mentioned several times that if we are happy to make sure we give a good rating. We would regardless as he has been wonderful and it is well deserved but I also don't want to get him in trouble by what I answer. Thoughts anyone?

Random stray thoughts as I am waiting for Gallery of Dreams to start....

- The elevators are slow on this ship. 

- While sold out, the ship has not seemed full most of the time. I am not sure where all the people have dispersed to? @bellemiche even gave me a heads up that the Diamond lounge has been quite empty, although I cannot verify that. I am still lowly Emerald for this sailing. With 9 minutes left till showtime, the theatre is less than 1/2 full. 

- In speaking with crew, they have maintained about 40% of their crew from Asia. Most of the seem quite happy and relaxed. 

- Life jackets are readily available for kids at the pools. Pools are saltwater and there is no shallow end (if you are a child).

- Tons of people are sneezing without covering up properly ??

I think that's all for now ?

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am still confused as to which we should check off on the post cruise survey that the server asked for good ratings. Our server has mentioned several times that if we are happy to make sure we give a good rating. We would regardless as he has been wonderful and it is well deserved but I also don't want to get him in trouble by what I answer. Thoughts anyone?

When you do the survey, you can rate the quality of the food. That is separate from the service part. There is also a spot to write your own comments, so you could mention his name and how great he was and also mention that you didn't enjoy the food that much. 

1 hour ago, bellemiche said:

When you do the survey, you can rate the quality of the food. That is separate from the service part. There is also a spot to write your own comments, so you could mention his name and how great he was and also mention that you didn't enjoy the food that much. 

Well actually what I am unsure of is whether or not to mention that they asked for a good rating. Isn't there a question about that?

Tonight's show was called "Gallery of Dreams" and Hubby and I were reminded why we like Royal so much. Those of you who were following on Periscope a few weeks ago know that we sailed the MSC Seaside and did not care too much for their entertainment. Tonight's show on Mariner was not the broadway type shows that you would find on Oasis or Quantum class ships, yet it did not disappoint. Vocals were strong, it was much more theatrical, the live orchestra was there, the set changes, just overall a better experience. Hubby says, "The analogy would be if you were watching a TV that you thought was pretty good and then you put it up against a better TV and you're like...WHOA." His words, not mine ? 

Anyway, here are two clips for those of you  not on Periscope. And @Kim&N8 I saw your question, but could not answer. It was called "Gallery of Dreams".

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bkOAvTF4TlFhYVJPT2V3UWJ8MXlOeGFYcWVST1hKau1VOeGCdBJSCCDfWYS97LvLnz0QTu2GZhgo-eBuWPpV

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bkOA5zF4TlFhYVJPT2V3UWJ8MU9kSnJweWJBdnpLWCaQMzDIZqtyqrzJdfLGuFLg8TU-xC5ED2QX_i-zNuIJ