Cancelled cruises?

kjw83

We are booked for our first ever cruise in April, on the Harmony. I was reading on here about cruises being cancelled bc they were chartered..and now I`m pretty nervous. How often does this happen?! How close to the time of the cruise can it happen?

I agree with the size..however, its pretty common that Indy or Navigator or Marnier are chartered....so I wouldn't say they are that much smaller.......its always something to consider when booking for sure to be honest. Especially if you are not flexible with vacations times or flights etc...

It can happen pretty much anytime to be honest...sometimes quite last minute as happened recently and cause quite an upset for some people. It was well discussed here on the boards.

Remember that the reason it is such a big deal and such an uproar is that it so rarely happens so close to the set sail date.  If it frequently happened only 8 months before the sailing date it would have been met with "sorry this happened, it sucks, but it's fairly common" rather than outrage.  It is far more likely to happen over a year in advance, as the cruise line wants to cancel as few people as possible and the chartering company wants time to fill the ship.

I do encourage you to continue reading here and learn more about cruising before going, a lot of tips and knowledge are on this site and forum that can help things go smoothly.  Trip insurance is also worth considering.  A lot of things can happen and with a cruise any delays in travel can potentially scrub the entire trip.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, kjw83 said:

We are booked for our first ever cruise in April, on the Harmony. I was reading on here about cruises being cancelled bc they were chartered..and now I`m pretty nervous. How often does this happen?! How close to the time of the cruise can it happen?

I am booked April 12, 2019. I am not worried about the cruise being cancelled.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:33 AM, tiny260 said:

I don't think you have to worry about Harmony being chartered, it would take a very very large corporation to be able to charter harmony for a week.

The smaller ships are a different scenario...

My ship in April 2020 is Oasis...the size of Harmony and it has now been chartered and I"m out of a cruise. I was going to try smaller to keep from getting chartered again but not sure what to do. I could never have imagined Oasis could get chartered! And unlike an above post I don't have the luxury of being able to group cruise. THAT said I LOVE cruising and will not give up on RC. Just going to use survival skills to try and pick my cruise ship better.

Typically charters tend to take a ship from shorter cruises and on small(er) ships.  It is rare to see an Oasis class ship charter because they are 7 nights and it costs a LOT of money to charter one but it can happen.  

By a large margin most cruises operate normally so I wouldn't worry about.

From http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

548090158_chartcosts.thumb.jpeg.3657da738a38022c62b608d2685ccf47.jpeg

5 hours ago, dejagatkins said:

With that kind of money, I'd love to know what group chartered our 7 day Oasis group! Looked on my account and they renamed it from 7 day to a 4 day Symmetry charter. Hmm

Well google tells me there is a company named Symmetry International Inc. that may have worked with RCCL in the past on design, that would be a solid chance who chartered (and would have the money) to take an oasis ship. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:55 AM, dejagatkins said:

My ship in April 2020 is Oasis...the size of Harmony and it has now been chartered and I"m out of a cruise. I was going to try smaller to keep from getting chartered again but not sure what to do. I could never have imagined Oasis could get chartered! And unlike an above post I don't have the luxury of being able to group cruise. THAT said I LOVE cruising and will not give up on RC. Just going to use survival skills to try and pick my cruise ship better.

How in the world does a ship that holds 6,000 pax get chartered?

On 8/11/2018 at 6:55 AM, dejagatkins said:

How did you find out your cruise was chartered?  We are booked on the Serenade 8 Nov 19 and I often keep my eye on price changes about two weeks ago my sailing disappeared from RC website.  I’m not sure what it means,  can my sailing be canceled and we just haven’t been told yet?

A well known storm chaser died on a Harmony full ship charter last year.  Most ship charters don't have the draw to fill a ship that size so they tend to charter smaller ships (compared to OA class).  

RC isn't alone here, Carnival, NCL and Celebrity do them as well.   Even an Azamara luxury cruise ship has been chartered.   

99.9% of cruises operate normally.  

4 hours ago, MamaKeys said:

How did you find out your cruise was chartered?  We are booked on the Serenade 8 Nov 19 and I often keep my eye on price changes about two weeks ago my sailing disappeared from RC website.  I’m not sure what it means,  can my sailing be canceled and we just haven’t been told yet?

We got an email. So don't overlook your emails. They gave us clear options in the email and the number to call when we are ready to decide what to replace it with. They promised same price on similar cruises and an on board credit. They said I have till Aug 22nd to decide. So don't ignore dates they give you. I just today got the follow up call that the email said they would make to me. Very professional right on top of it for me. (and we are talking 2020--way out there) I don't like the cancellation but we are going to go for an 11 day instead of the original 7 day and do some new ports with a smaller ship. So we are kind of excited now.

4 minutes ago, MamaKeys said:

So they give you cruises to choice from huh?  Not to big of a deal DH and I are retired so dates are not a big deal.  I can understand being bummed about it being cancelled since I know I carefully choose mine.  But at least it sounds like they make it relatively smooth

Yes, first they give similar options, then they say I can choose a totally different one and still get the on board credit. Or I can just say cancel and I get my $500 non refundable deposit back.

MamaKeys,

I, as well as another blog member WAAAYTOOO, had either two or three cruises cancelled. They cancelled my first on, put me on another, cancelled that one, put me on a third one and cancelled that.

Listen or read carefully about the offers the cruise line gives you. If you don't pick the two or three cruises they offer to switch you do, you can book your own or your TA can book another cruise but it will be at today's price. Your cruise that was cancelled might have been booked a year ago, which would have been less the today's price for the same cruise. You end up paying the increase cost and only get OBC for the trouble. After 3 cancelled cruises I was offered a 14 day Panama Canal, but I had to go on the date they offered and I did, a great cruise, no extra cost. I think RCCL knew after three cancellations that they had better do something amazing and they did.

Candie

Oh geez.  I would have to agree after all those cancellations they owed you something good and so glad they came through.  I talked with my TA yesterday and he had no explanation on why my cruise disappeared.  He contacted Royal and they told him they don’t know why it has disappeared either.  So our TA has said it’s just a waiting game now.  I got a really good price on this one too so hopefully I can find another good one if I have too.