Watching Amazon Fire TV in my stateroom?

In theory, yes, but it takes some work.  

First you need to bring a Samsung or universal remote control from home to change inputs to the HDMI input on the cabin TV.  

You'll likely also need to disconnect the gray cable on the back of the TV that looks like a telephone connection.  This is a data control cable that allows you to interact with the TV (review your account, order movies, etc).

Naturally you'll need a Voom Surf and Stream plan.  Fortunately Fire TV sticks do tend to work with 'captive portals' where you need to enter your Voom passcode however it can be tricky sometimes.  

It's not something I'd ever tell my parents to attempt but for a semi techie person who understands the underlying why and why nots when it doesn't go perfectly it is doable.  

Using the same Voom code for your phone can get tricky at times as well.  

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the info.  I do the same all the time in hotels while out on business.  My husband and I never watch movies because of our busy careers, but on vacations it’s something we love to do!  On both the Oasis and Harmony we’ve been able to stream movies on an iPad from Netflix, Hulu and Prime without issue, but now knowing the televisions aren’t just monitors without HDMI ports, we’ll be bringing our Fire stick!

16 hours ago, Pamlvt said:

Thanks for the info.  I do the same all the time in hotels while out on business.  My husband and I never watch movies because of our busy careers, but on vacations it’s something we love to do!  On both the Oasis and Harmony we’ve been able to stream movies on an iPad from Netflix, Hulu and Prime without issue, but now knowing the televisions aren’t just monitors without HDMI ports, we’ll be bringing our Fire stick!

Previous post said you need a universal remote and to unplug the network cable -- assuming it was the same Samsung style TV I had on Symphony, you may be able to get by changing the input using the TV power button on the right-hand underside of the TV. Push it once and you should get the menu, keep doing short presses until it highlights "Change Input", then HOLD the button in, it should change to HDMI. The timing is tricky the first time, but it's incredibly simple after.