Got Netflix?

KathyC

Who's ready for the premier of "Like Father?" If you have Netflix, you may spot a familiar face or three!  Friday August 3rd, the movie that was filmed during the Royal Caribbean Blog Harmony of the Seas Group Cruise last September is finally here!  A few of us from the group volunteered as extras, so keep your eyes out and you may see some of us! 

My husband and I can be seen possibly three times.  Two different scenes.

1 -There is a scene where Kelsey & Kristin are on the Rising Tide.  Tony & I are in the background, in front of the metal face that moves.  I'm in a bright pink t-shirt & white shorts.  We're pretty far back, so little chance of being seen. 

2 - In that same scene, we're in evening clothes sitting at the Bionic Bar.  We're at a table with four other people, if you are facing the bar, on the left.  The Rising Tide starts to rise at the end of the scene thus blocking those of us at the bar area.  If anything, you'll see our heads.

3 - Sitting at that same spot as in 2, this second scene is part of a montage. This is the time there is the greatest chance of seeing us, but also the greatest chance you won't, LOL. Since it's part of a montage, no dialog is spoken, so it's easily cutable.  As for why it's the greatest chance of getting on screen, is because the scene starts with the camera facing directly at our table.  We were told that we are "featured" at the beginning, so were performing a specific action of toasting each other as the camera was directly on our table.  The camera faces us, then slowly pans around the bar (where the stars of the movie were all placed) and ends between us and the bar. 

Other blog cruise members were in pool scenes early in the week.  I'm hoping they will pop on and fill in details.  

We made it in twice!! Once, we're far in the back - see #1 above - and the second time is #2 above - you can actually see our faces!  We're in the back, but it's us! 25:43 

The opportunity #3 above, all background folks were cut, and that part of the scene lasted a few seconds.

But even better, Beth & Gordon had MAJOR scene time!!  Go to 27:27 and it ends around 28:30.  I'm pretty sure Joshua is walking behind them!!!!

3 minutes ago, Oliver said:

Just watched it. It was a cute movie. Not a movie I would watch more than once. And not a movie I would say was going to make anybody think deep thoughts afterwards, but that’s ok.

Agree.  Cute, fun at times, but definitely not a big screen movie.  Perfect for home watching.  Reminds me of a Hallmark Channel movie. 

The definitely took some liberties with the movie; Boleros - is NOT Boleros.  Must be a stage somewhere cause it's not on the ship.  Not that I can remember anyway.  Royal definitely did not approve the script, as if they did they wouldn't have let them say how crappy her internet connection was so often (after all, Voom is supposed to be the best, right?)  Also, you'll NEVER see Harmony sail into NY harbor.  Not unless they raise the Verrazano Bridge, that is. 

I saw it last night...cute and very predictable. The only thing I laughed at was the cell phone stuff. Throw it in the water and magically it still works; I don't think so. I haven't seen Kelsey Grammer in a long time so nice to see he still gets work.

I just don't understand the necessity for throwing in profanity when clearly it is not warranted or needed. Do people really talk like that all the time?

4 hours ago, Tim B. said:

I saw it last night...cute and very predictable. The only thing I laughed at was the cell phone stuff. Throw it in the water and magically it still works; I don't think so. I haven't seen Kelsey Grammer in a long time so nice to see he still gets work.

I just don't understand the necessity for throwing in profanity when clearly it is not warranted or needed. Do people really talk like that all the time?

I agree. The profanity wasn't necessary for this movie. We watched it aboard the Oasis in the Aqua Theatre. They did announce that it was M for mature audiences but there were still quite a few young children there. Everyone was turning and looking around after she was yelling (insert swear words) at the taxi. ?

@KathyC aka KathLuvsGH I watched those scenes 3 times and I still couldn't find you or Tony! lol  It's like a game of "Where's Waldo?" ?

I will try to find you again later today.  I'm going to show my girls parts of it.  The ship parts since they are cruising Harmony for the first time in March.

All in all, I thought the movie dragged for the most part.  But every time ship stuff came on, I had the biggest smile on my face.  And one of favourite CK waiters got major screen time!!

I watched it last night with my wife. We enjoyed seeing the ship and the quick clip of the zip line on Labadee, but agreed the movie was only so-so. Honestly, I was kind of surprised that Kristen Bell took the part given the work she'd been getting lately. Maybe she just wanted something small that would let her do some acting but not take her away from her family for too long?

I wanted to ask, was the restaurant where the formal night dinner happened in Wonderland, or was it just a set on a sound stage? That free-standing door they all walked through and some of the decor made me think it might be Wonderland, but never having been there I couldn't say for sure.

And I looked for people who I might have recognized from profile pics, but didn't spot anyone. I even remembered to look when the scene with the Rising Tide bar happened, but not knowing what KathyC looks like (unless she strongly resembles a red wine glass being filled ?), I had no clue.

Just now, JLMoran said:

I wanted to ask, was the restaurant where the formal night dinner happened in Wonderland, or was it just a set on a sound stage? That free-standing door they all walked through and some of the decor made me think it might be Wonderland, but never having been there I couldn't say for sure.

That was Wonderland

DaySeven-31.jpg

6 hours ago, bellemiche said:

Everyone was turning and looking around after she was yelling (insert swear words) at the taxi. ?

Since that part was pretty close to the beginning of the movie I was wondering what I was in for. At the time I was by myself, wife was at work, and I looked at the dogs and said, did you hear that, they just looked at me and said, hey, where are our treats...ugh - dogs! What are you going to do with them.

9 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I watched it last night with my wife. We enjoyed seeing the ship and the quick clip of the zip line on Labadee, but agreed the movie was only so-so. Honestly, I was kind of surprised that Kristen Bell took the part given the work she'd been getting lately. Maybe she just wanted something small that would let her do some acting but not take her away from her family for too long?

And I looked for people who I might have recognized from profile pics, but didn't spot anyone. I even remembered to look when the scene with the Rising Tide bar happened, but not knowing what KathyC looks like (unless she strongly resembles a red wine glass being filled ?), I had no clue.

Kristen brought her family - husband and two kids.  One day we passed her sitting on the stairs playing with a daughter on the landing.  We saw the hubby the day we filmed the Bionic Bar scene (which lasted all of 5 seconds in the final cut) when he returned from Jamaica. He came over to her and greeted her with a rather large and lengthy kiss.  LOL  

Here is a shot of the tv (sorry not a great picture) where you can see us.  We are in the group of people in the background watching what's going on.  If you start on the right and count to the left, I am the 2nd person (sleaveless shirt, brown hair) and my hubby is next to me. 

I agree the movie was so-so; I equivocate it to a Hallmark Channel Movie but with curse words.  LOL 

Like Father.jpg

We watched it last night. I thought it was very good. One thing that struck me was it’s no wonder RC went along with this venture, the movie was like a 2 hour commercial. I especially liked the scene where the Rising Tide started to move, and there’s this couple on the top left of the screen in the Schooner Bar,,,,,,,,,,?

3CCE3179-997A-42EB-8D23-0D09E88CD0D8.jpeg

On 8/4/2018 at 2:48 AM, Tim B. said:

Actually many phones are water resistant enough to survive a few minutes in a few feet of water so I'll give them that one, but there are many other inconsistencies. That's the Hollywood effect.  Virtually all movies stretch the truth or bend facts to support the story line.

I downloaded the movie while on Empress then watched it on the flight home.  I didn't want to waste precious cruise time watching a movie like this on my phone, or on a cruise

They played it on the pool deck Friday night aboard Empress.  

On 8/4/2018 at 2:48 AM, Tim B. said:

Sadly yes.  I met a woman who cusses constantly and drops F bombs into every sentence.  

On 8/3/2018 at 8:00 PM, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

We made it in twice!! Once, we're far in the back - see #1 above - and the second time is #2 above - you can actually see our faces!  We're in the back, but it's us! 25:43 

The opportunity #3 above, all background folks were cut, and that part of the scene lasted a few seconds.

But even better, Beth & Gordon had MAJOR scene time!!  Go to 27:27 and it ends around 28:30.  I'm pretty sure Joshua is walking behind them!!!!

It was so crazy to see us on there! I think we got the sappy couple in love thing down. It made the early wake up call while on vacation worth it ? Jordan, Heather, and Josh All made the scene as well. 

47722F71-0195-4129-BBF0-03D1B2E9E09E.jpeg

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Virtually all movies stretch the truth or bend facts to support the story line.

When I saw them wake up from their drunken stupor already on board the ship, I just couldn't get past that moment. Not having gone through boarding once and knowing that if you have one piece of paper or travel document mismatch, you'll be denied boarding. Did the dad just happen to bring his passport, and does his name miraculously match the name of the guy who jilted his daughter at the altar? What did he use for a Set Sail Pass? Did Kristen Bell's character just magically bat her eyelashes at the guard (while still blackout levels of drunk) and get him / her to simply turn a blind eye?

Seriously, I have seen WAY too many episodes of Cinema Sins!

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

When I saw them wake up from their drunken stupor already on board the ship, I just couldn't get past that moment. Not having gone through boarding once and knowing that if you have one piece of paper or travel document mismatch, you'll be denied boarding. Did the dad just happen to bring his passport, and does his name miraculously match the name of the guy who jilted his daughter at the altar? What did he use for a Set Sail Pass? Did Kristen Bell's character just magically bat her eyelashes at the guard (while still blackout levels of drunk) and get him / her to simply turn a blind eye?

Seriously, I have seen WAY too many episodes of Cinema Sins!

When Oasis class sails from NYC magic things happen, in fact anything can happen.  

16 minutes ago, Kim&N8 said:

Thanks @twangster does that bridge block both NJ and NYC ports?

Yes, all cruise ports in the greater NYC area reach the sea by traveling under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge.

Royal tends to use Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ which is in between the bridge and the Statue of Liberty (South of where the ship is shown sailing in the movie).  The movie would make it appear the ship is heading to the Manhattan cruise port that currently Royal typically doesn't use.     

Quantum class are their largest ships that can fit under the bridge.  Anthem for example, currently uses Cape Liberty in NJ.  However I suspect the movie wanted to show Manhattan to make it instantly recognizable.   

The ship speed heading up the river looks awfully fast as well.  That's likely because they had some stock footage of the ship somewhere sailing in open water and used that in the computer generated effect.  

Totally fake.

Saw this last night. Gripping drama it wasn't, but the ship was showcased rather perfectly. And I really enjoyed seeing "my" Caribbean cruise ports again!

Pretty sure that Oasis class ships aren't ever going to grace Aussie ports, so it was nice to enjoy this one vicariously!

4 hours ago, June May said:

Saw this last night. Gripping drama it wasn't, but the ship was showcased rather perfectly. And I really enjoyed seeing "my" Caribbean cruise ports again!

Pretty sure that Oasis class ships aren't ever going to grace Aussie ports, so it was nice to enjoy this one vicariously!

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Never say never...

Actually...I just read today on another forum that,  "Richard CEO Royal Caribbean told French Media around 6 months ago Australia should see Oasis Class by 2020"

Rumours...but never say never...

On 8/5/2018 at 10:46 PM, twangster said:

Definitely a special effect. No Oasis class ship can fit under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge.  

Are we sure that isn't a myth?  I know that no Oasis Class ship has ever gone to NY, but is it really because of the bridge?

QM2 sails out of NY most of the year, and Wikipedia claims that both ships are 72m (236ft) tall.

35 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Are we sure that isn't a myth?  I know that no Oasis Class ship has ever gone to NY, but is it really because of the bridge?

QM2 sails out of NY most of the year, and Wikipedia claims that both ships are 72m (236ft) tall.

QM2 is 150,000 gross tons,  236' high total (keel to top of funnel) minus 33' draught = 203' above the waterline.  

OA class is ~225,000+ gross tons,  236' from the waterline plus 31' draught for a total of 267' (keel to top of funnel)

The bridge clearance (from the waterline ) is 215ft.  

Definitely no myth OA can't go there.

422385265_VerrazanoNarrowsbridge.thumb.jpeg.66e758132a051b56674d87d5a677bc78.jpeg