(REAL) Cuban Cigars

Lindsay

There is a shop in the Jamaica port where you can purchase AUTHENTIC Cuban Cigars.  Whenever we go, my husband buys a box.  He has smoked/given them all away and now misses his little cuban compadres.

In September, I am going out of Galveston with my Mom to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Rotan.  Does anyone know if there is a store at port (or beyond) where I could purchase some cuban cigars for the hubs at home with the kiddo?

2 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Does anyone know if there is a store at port (or beyond) where I could purchase some cuban cigars for the hubs at home with the kiddo?

There will be lots of places to buy Cuban cigars near the cruise port in Cozumel and Costa Maya.  I don't think you will have to go very far to find some.

the little indoor shops area of the port had at least 6 places to buy cigars and tequila but a word of caution the prices will vary wildly many shops are duplications of other shops in the tiny mall owned and operated by the same people and way different prices never pay there asking price bargain the worse they can do is say no when you turn to leave many times you will pay what you want this also depends on how many ships are in port many ships equals many people and much harder to bargain

carpe diem -    in the majority of ports, these "authentic" cubans will be very over priced and questionable at best unless he is aware of the subtle nuances to tell a fake from a legit.   i'd be more than happy to share (offline) my overseas sources that are without question, legit Cuban cigar distributors.   That being said,  up until the past 10-15 years,  quality of true cubans has rapidly declined as they became more readily available through mass production.   I used to be a huge fan but now i've found so many more non-cuban cigars that are leaps and bounds much better than the current  stock thats out in the market place unless you can find an aged box going back before the cigar "boom" period.    I digress, as this is one of my passions (current stash is well over 2000+ cigars)  and i could ramble on for hours.   In short, when i buy them,  I never buy them at port for reasons mentioned above.   Majority of mine come in from Switzerland via Cuba at a near domestic cigar prices ($6 - $9 a stick)   legit, better quality,  properly maintained and best of all, much more reasonable priced.   more than happy to share my connections and he can see for himself.

My brother-in-law likes a nice cigar and I’d love to pick up a couple of cubans for him.  But I know less than nothing about cigars (except the wonderful memories of my Nonno smoking stogies in the garage!). Can I beg some guidance?

20 hours ago, Todd W said:

carpe diem -    in the majority of ports, these "authentic" cubans will be very over priced and questionable at best unless he is aware of the subtle nuances to tell a fake from a legit.   i'd be more than happy to share (offline) my overseas sources that are without question, legit Cuban cigar distributors.   That being said,  up until the past 10-15 years,  quality of true cubans has rapidly declined as they became more readily available through mass production.   I used to be a huge fan but now i've found so many more non-cuban cigars that are leaps and bounds much better than the current  stock thats out in the market place unless you can find an aged box going back before the cigar "boom" period.    I digress, as this is one of my passions (current stash is well over 2000+ cigars)  and i could ramble on for hours.   In short, when i buy them,  I never buy them at port for reasons mentioned above.   Majority of mine come in from Switzerland via Cuba at a near domestic cigar prices ($6 - $9 a stick)   legit, better quality,  properly maintained and best of all, much more reasonable priced.   more than happy to share my connections and he can see for himself.

Yes!  I would love to discuss this offline. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d2172821-Reviews-La_Casa_Del_Habano-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Out of your 3 stops this is the only "Official" Cuban cigar distributor on Cozumel, you will have to leave the port and go downtown to get here, but don't buy any "Cubans" from anyone or any place else, I'm not even sure that the humidor on the bottom floor is legit, but I know the one on the top floor is.

When the waiters and people on the bottom floor ask you in for lunch, just tell them you want to visit the humidor on the second floor (Which is also part of the restaurant, BTW), don't expect them to give you recommendations, you will have to know what you want, they can point out a specific brand, but that is about it.

If you or your husband researches, La Casa Del Habano is one, if not the only authorized Cuban cigar distributor for the whole Caribbean. It is the only store I will visit to buy my Cubans if at all possible. I did find a really good store on this last cruise in Grand Cayman, awesome selection and service, very knowledgeable staff.

There is also a La Casa Del Habano in the Falmouth Jamaica port shops now if anyone is interested.

BTW, everything @Todd W says above I'll add a "Ditto"...

On 8/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, Todd W said:

Building on this, there are some very good cigars from neighboring countries.  The climate is nearly identical.  Cuban cigars to me are over hyped and most people wouldn't know the difference from a DR cigar.  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:20 PM, Todd W said:

Dear Sir advice and guidance would be appreciated as i am going to Cuba in May and would like to buy a small sample box for home, not looking to buy the most expensive cigar but on a budget.. your knowledge would be gratefully received. many thanks Colin 

1 hour ago, deckhook said:

Dear Sir advice and guidance would be appreciated as i am going to Cuba in May and would like to buy a small sample box for home, not looking to buy the most expensive cigar but on a budget.. your knowledge would be gratefully received. many thanks Colin 

it's really hard to recommend based on not knowing what you will come across while in Cuba or the pricing you will see when you get there.     I'm unaware of what your cigar palate or previous smoking history is but just know 99% of the Cuban's i've smoked are very mild cigars.    That being said,  I only smoke cigars now that pack a punch so what i like in a Cuban may not be relevant to your tastes.  That being said, my favorite Cubans in no special order are Trinidad Reyes,  Hoyo De Monterey petite robustos,   Romeo y Julietta short churchills,  Diplomatico #2,  Montecristo #2,  Partagas serie P,   Ramon Alones special select,  H Upmann Mag 46 and Cohiba Behike $ Cohiba Siglo Vi.    assuming what you find are legit Cuban's, you can't go wrong with any of these.

19 minutes ago, Todd W said:

Hoyo De Monterey petite robustos, 

Yes

19 minutes ago, Todd W said:

Montecristo #2

and yes, this has turned in to my go to Cuban.

For the OP, @deckhook , I have not actually been to Cuba but buy a lot of the cigars at surrounding islands, the only caution I was given for buying Cuban cigars was to buy them from an actual store, possibly one close to the cruise terminal, DO NOT buy them from anyone selling them on the street, I was told these cigars could have anything in them that looks like tobacco, but it would not be tobacco..

18 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Yes

and yes, this has turned in to my go to Cuban.

For the OP, @deckhook , I have not actually been to Cuba but buy a lot of the cigars at surrounding islands, the only caution I was given for buying Cuban cigars was to buy them from an actual store, possibly one close to the cruise terminal, DO NOT buy them from anyone selling them on the street, I was told these cigars could have anything in them that looks like tobacco, but it would not be tobacco..

@tiny260   John I don't know a thing about you personally but your affinity for cigars is all I need to know man.    Hopefully one day in the future we can ponder the meaning of cruise life over a couple of cigars and spirit while at sea!

15 minutes ago, Todd W said:

@tiny260   John I don't know a thing about you personally but your affinity for cigars is all I need to know man.    Hopefully one day in the future we can ponder the meaning of cruise life over a couple of cigars and spirit while at sea!

Look forward to it.

I just remember what it was like when I first started cigars and cruising, can't count how many time I probably bought fake's, this was before cell phones and being able to research labels and such. Cohiba's were the worst it seemed like.

I also agree with some other comments above, I believe non-cuban' cigars have caught up, Arturo Fuente Opus X is one of my favorites.

• 9 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, Todd W said:

I would love more information offline! I was looking for a particular brand from Cuba that my friend smokes and while it looked right in the packaging and the one I smelled was right, what they sold me in the pack was not. So I want to make up for that. 

• 1 month later...

Cruised two weeks ago to Caymans, Costa Maya and Cozumel. La Casa Del Habano stores in GC and Cozumel - real deal. Got bait and switched in Costa Maya. Open box of Cohiba Esplendidos passed my eye test - 9 white boxes, holograms on band, etc. As soon as the guy pulled out his calculator I should have walked (it’s not like jewelry), but my “defenses” were down. I wanted three from the open box, but he talked me into a separate box of 5. Later noticed the green seal had no bar code and peeled off too easily. Not a bad mild smoke, but NOT the real thing (I’ve been to La Casa in Havana so I know what real tastes like). Paid $120 for the box of 5 in Costa Maya. Avoid.

• 2 years later...

Just came from Cozumel, there is a La Casa Del Habano Cozumel which was a $30 taxi ride round trip on the second floor above Fat Tuesdays. Granted I may be ignorant but the prices were crazy for Cohibas especially the models you cannot get stateside (Siglo VI, Moderos, etc.). I paid $98 for two sticks and am waiting to burn them once I get home.  Look for videos on how to spot fakes because anywhere you port is littered with them.  Biggest items I saw were glass tops on the boxes (easiest give away), no double face on the Cohiba logo, the inner logo spells out the word Cohiba, the green sticker/label was sketchy, and there should be a factory mark of some kind. While I Cozumel at the port I stumbled into a place on my way back from LCDH and they were trying to charge hefty price tags for clear fugazzi’s.  When I called them on it they tried to play the high low game of price but there was no way I was paying any amount for bugs, scraps, hair, and whatever else was piece mealed into their fake sticks.