MDR "jerk"!

Lynn T

Perusing the menus for my upcoming cruise on the Royal app I see one night has jerk pork, and the next night has jerk chicken!  So, for those who have tried them, which "jerk" is the best?!? 

Guessing the spice level will not be excessive but we love jerk!  Will be hard to live up to the jerk cart man at Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica though!

LOL

With that thread title I was wondering what I did in the MDR...

In my experience cruise line 'jerk seasoning' is pretty mild.  Pick your cruise line.  Truth is 'Jerk' isn't something that comes from a bottle so don't expect the real thing.

I did an excursion in Jamaica on Carnival that included a "jerk" lunch.  It was so mild.  The restaurant told me people complained to the cruise line so they had to tame it down.  

went on a shore excursion in Jamaica that included lunch jerk chicken was on the menu I loved it I like food spicy and had thirds but I noticed most of the others opted for the pasta side including my son after we were done there was a herd of locals waiting to dig in to the leftovers oh by the way lunch was included but a can of coke was 5.00 it was the dune buggy ride out of fahlmouth not really in fahlmouth over 1 1/2 hour away by rocket propelled mini bus

52 minutes ago, Sweety said:

I am Jamaican. I jerk all the time. Each year I make a special jerk dish after my juniors take the ACT/SAT. This year I jerked chicken breast, cut them in cubes and mixed with broccoli and cheese. I put the mixture in phyllo sheets and made my own Lawson hot pockets. The students loved them. See picture.

OMG,   @Sweety , you may now be giving @Lovetocruise2002 a run for her money as my second favorite teacher (daughter is my first)!  I had to laugh when after returning from vacation in Jamaica and then going to "Caribbean night" at Bahama Breeze restaurant here. Almost got on a plane back right then and there. Another meal I tried in Jamaica that I never had before was curried goat. It was delicious. I think you said on another thread where you live. If you cook that also, I just may travel the 800 miles and invite myself to dinner!

7 minutes ago, Skid said:

OMG,   @Sweety , you may now be giving @Lovetocruise2002 a run for her money as my second favorite teacher (daughter is my first)!  I had to laugh when after returning from vacation in Jamaica and then going to "Caribbean night" at Bahama Breeze restaurant here. Almost got on a plane back right then and there. Another meal I tried in Jamaica that I never had before was curried goat. It was delicious. I think you said on another thread where you live. If you cook that also, I just may travel the 800 miles and invite myself to dinner!

Hey!  I feed my kids too!  Does that put me back in the running? ?

6 minutes ago, Skid said:

Yes, I can make curried goat. Also, my husband favorite is red snapper stuffed. My Mom is from New Orleans. Yes I can make gumbo.

On 8/1/2018 at 12:57 PM, Lynn T said:

Guessing the spice level will not be excessive but we love jerk!  Will be hard to live up to the jerk cart man at Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica though

Just had this at the Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall on a shore excursion, my wife had the jerk chicken and I had jerk pork, amazing, could have had more spice for me, but it was perfect for my wife.

Thought I'd circle back here, just back from my Allure cruise (sigh....).  My best-ever MDR waiter Latoya from Jamaica advised against the jerk pork as it would be dry.  But said the chicken the next day would be great.  It absolutely was!  Best food all week.  Fairly spicy, too!!!

Also this trip I tried some of the soups in the Windjammer - being so hot I usually steer clear.  But the black bean soup was outstanding, and I also loved the mushroom soup.

30 minutes ago, Lynn T said:

Thought I'd circle back here, just back from my Allure cruise (sigh....).  My best-ever MDR waiter Latoya from Jamaica advised against the jerk pork as it would be dry.  But said the chicken the next day would be great.  It absolutely was!  Best food all week.  Fairly spicy, too!!!

Also this trip I tried some of the soups in the Windjammer - being so hot I usually steer clear.  But the black bean soup was outstanding, and I also loved the mushroom soup.

Woohoo for jerk.