Cape Liberty Area Hotel

Hi

We will be cruising out of NJ 10/27 on the Anthem.  We will be driving down the night before from Boston area (close to RI border).  WE will be driving in via Tappen Zee Bridge .  This has been the highly recommended route for us.  Does anyone have a good hotel recommendation in the vicinity of the port.  We will be driving in and parking our car at the cruise port.  We will be 2 couples requiring 2 rooms.  We are hoping to get a place that is easy on/off the highway and hopefully free parking and includes a breakfast would be nice.  As far as price I have seen many options under $150 range and hoping to stay in that ballpark.  Our travel agent recommended the Fairfield in North Bergen.  Someone else said we should stay in Paramus which is a little longer drive the next morning. How is staying along the Garden State Parkway?  Is that a good commute into the port?   Is it better to get as close as possible on Friday night?  Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

7 minutes ago, Karen4120 said:

As far as price I have seen many options under $150 range and hoping to stay in that ballpark.  Our travel agent recommended the Fairfield in North Bergen.  Someone else said we should stay in Paramus

I"m from the area, my office is in Paramus. (although I live in DE now), Don't stay at Fairfield, North Bergen please.  There is a very nice Fairfield Suites on Rt 17 in Paramus has a restaraunt next door for dinner.  It's literally just north of the Garden State Parkway.. It's not that  much farther staying there.  I personally am staying at the Embassy Suites in Newark (as @Lovetocruise2002 says).  Not sure of pricing right now, I"m arriving Labor day weekend and I'm paying about $180.  If you decide Newark, don't take the Tappen Zee, take the George Washington unless you're coming down from Boston on 84 to 684 which would make sense to take the Tappen Zee.  If you're doing 95, then that's good for the GW Bridge.  Hope this helps.

Yes the directions we have are 84 to 684 to 287.  I believe when I checked the Emb. Suites the prices were out of our budget.  We will be arriving around 10 ish so it really is just a nice clean place to sleep that we are looking for.  I will check their prices again.  Also will check out the other suggestions listed here.  I really appreciate all the feedback.  

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I recommend a hotel near Newark Airport. Lots of good business hotels there and a quick drive to the port.

If you go this route, there is a Country Inn & Suites at the airport. That hotel chain is one of our favorites (part of Radisson’s line). Hotels are always clean, rooms are pretty spacious for the price, complimentary breakfast is pretty decent, and rates are reasonable.

17 hours ago, Karen4120 said:

Hi

We will be cruising out of NJ 10/27 on the Anthem.  We will be driving down the night before from Boston area (close to RI border).  WE will be driving in via Tappen Zee Bridge .  This has been the highly recommended route for us.  Does anyone have a good hotel recommendation in the vicinity of the port.  We will be driving in and parking our car at the cruise port.  We will be 2 couples requiring 2 rooms.  We are hoping to get a place that is easy on/off the highway and hopefully free parking and includes a breakfast would be nice.  As far as price I have seen many options under $150 range and hoping to stay in that ballpark.  Our travel agent recommended the Fairfield in North Bergen.  Someone else said we should stay in Paramus which is a little longer drive the next morning. How is staying along the Garden State Parkway?  Is that a good commute into the port?   Is it better to get as close as possible on Friday night?  Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

You can save a lot of money by adding just 30 minutes to embarkation morning. Would it be so bad to drive 45 minutes or so ?  Staying near the airport, ANY airport, will probably run you twice what it would cost to stay in north Jersey. 

17 hours ago, Karen4120 said:

Hi

Karen

As an example, we have stayed in a hotel on the way to Galveston. Hotels in Galveston can run several hundred dollars. We save a fortune by staying in a town called Webster, about 30 minutes short of Galveston island. 

Thanks All!  Today I found a great rate for Country Inn and Suites in Newark, NJ.  It was $92 for Oct.  That's a win for sure!  I know its under renovation but we can deal with one night of whatever for the price and a cruise the next day :)  Thanks everyone for all the input.

1 hour ago, Karen4120 said:

Thanks All!  Today I found a great rate for Country Inn and Suites in Newark, NJ.  It was $92 for Oct.  That's a win for sure!  I know its under renovation but we can deal with one night of whatever for the price and a cruise the next day ? Thanks everyone for all the input.

You'll be right at Jersey Gardens, it looks like.  Definitely do not go out and explore if you're coming in at 10pm.  

On 8/2/2018 at 9:56 PM, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

You'll be right at Jersey Gardens, it looks like.  Definitely do not go out and explore if you're coming in at 10pm.  

That's surprising to hear that a Country Inn & Suites would locate itself in what sounds like a rough neighborhood. All the ones I've stayed at (admittedly, none in NJ) have been in nice areas that we never felt worried about walking around as we went out to dinner or just got some night air.

1 hour ago, Blondie511 said:

I am looking at the country inn and suites now too!  Do they provide a shuttle to the cruise port?  Should I Uber?  Generally, we like to leave our car at the hotel and take a shuttle to the port, but maybe that can’t happen.  Anyone know?  

I can't answer whether they have a complimentary shuttle, but given KathyC's comment I think it would be prudent to park at the Cape Liberty on-site garage. The price is reasonable and it's well-lit and secure.

9 hours ago, JLMoran said:

That's surprising to hear that a Country Inn & Suites would locate itself in what sounds like a rough neighborhood. All the ones I've stayed at (admittedly, none in NJ) have been in nice areas that we never felt worried about walking around as we went out to dinner or just got some night air.

I can't answer whether they have a complimentary shuttle, but given KathyC's comment I think it would be prudent to park at the Cape Liberty on-site garage. The price is reasonable and it's well-lit and secure.

It's not in a neighborhood, but adjacent to a large outlet shopping mall, Jersey Gardens.  It's next to the airport, and people who stay there are travelers passing through. 

No where in Newark do you really go out at night.  I would not leave a car parked there, but only in a guarded lot.