Climbing the Coba Pyramid & cenote swim

Smithfamof6

We will be cruising in November to Cozumel. Has anyone done the Coba pyramid & cenote swim excursion? I know it takes awhile to get there. Is it worth it time wise? We are only in port for 9 hours & this excursion is 8 hours. I’m estimating about 1/2 of the excursion is travel time. We have 4 children between 15-10. 

I cannot speak to this particular excursion so my experience may not be typical but I have been to a couple of cenotes over the years and while they are, indeed, swimming holes, usually inside of a cave, I have found them to be less than appealing.  I have found the water to be kinda of icky and it is often a difficult ingress and egress to get into/out of the water.  The ones I've been to would be very difficult for [small] children to access.

The various Mayan pyramids, on the other hand, are well worth the trip - at least once.  I am not familiar with Coba.  I'm sure it would be a great excursion.  Yes, they are a very long bus ride away and you must take the infamous ferry from COZ to Playa del Carmen so it's a very long day.  BUT if you're going all the way to the Yucatan and you may or may not be back again, it would be a shame to not see something as significant as these wonderful pyramids.

The cenote...at least for me....not so much.

My wife and I went on this excursion last February.  We chose it because we had never visited Mayan ruins and Coba was the only option we could find that still allows you to climb a  pyramid.  Between the ferry and the bus rides a very large portion of your day is spent travelling.   We found Coba very interesting but did not feel we were provided enough time to fully explore the ruins.  I would return to Coba, but not on a cruise excursion when time is so limited.  We did climb the pyramid which we enjoyed and was the highlight of the excursion.  The cenote  swim was ok.  The entrance/exit is a circular staircase wide enough for only one person.  Inside the cenote is some low level lighting and a wooden deck to facilitate getting in and out of the water.  The water was cool and clean but after a few minutes of swimming we were done and got out.   Personally, I would have preferred skipping the cenote swim to spend more time at the ruins.  Hope this helps.

Up.jpg

Down.jpg

If you're interested in Mayan Ruins I would recommend going to Chichén Itzá, its a long trip (and you can't climb the ruins) but not for nothing is one of the new 7 wonders of the world.

If you want a shorter trip you should definitely have to go to Tulum. They're very close to Cozumel, right next to the ocean. Beautiful site. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2018 at 8:09 AM, Smithfamof6 said:

We will be cruising in November to Cozumel. Has anyone done the Coba pyramid & cenote swim excursion? I know it takes awhile to get there. Is it worth it time wise? We are only in port for 9 hours & this excursion is 8 hours. I’m estimating about 1/2 of the excursion is travel time. We have 4 children between 15-10. 

So did you do this? What did you think? We're thinking of doing this in March.