Alaska - Best Vacation Ever!

57 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

We just returned home on Monday night from the best Alaska cruise and land tour ever!  We had great weather the entire time.  I will do a review when I have a little more time.

Alaska is my wife and I's favorite place to cruise!!  What route did you take?  Both times we flew into Anchorage and sailed out of Seward on the Radiance of the Seas on the southern route to Vancouver.  The first time we took the bus to Seward and thought that was the coolest bus ride ever.  The second time we took the train to Seward and were speechless - BEST TRAIN RIDE EVER!!  Sitting at a four top table in a glass topped train car with two very nice attendants serving food and drinks the entire time was an incredible experience.  It was hard to believe it was a five hour ride, it went by so fast.

Next June we will be sailing the round trip route out of Seattle on the Ovation, it has a slightly different itinerary so we can experience a few different stops.  We look forward to your review!

We did the Northbound from Vancouver to Seward then we did the 3-night post land tour.  We got to do so much on the land tour that we really did get our monies worth. We got to ride the dome train from Talkeetna to Anchorage.  The views were amazing and the food was excellent!

We had AT&T signal almost the entire trip with the exception of a few hours on 2 different days on the ship and deep inside Denali National Park.  We were pleasantly surprised about that.  Our phones alerted us when it went to Cellular at Sea so we just turned on airplane mode; however, in a few hours when we checked - AT&T was back.

The only negative thing about the Radiance was the mattress!!! It felt like plywood - no joke! 

Whale watching was fun too!  (Sorry picture is sideways - I don't know how to fix that).

Orcas.jpg

I have to agree!  I have been to quite  few Caribbean islands and I still have my favorites but so far to date the Alaskan cruise we have been on has been my absolute favorite!  We am absolutely amazed at the beauty and am looking forward to going back!!!  What I find absolutely amazing is that even though I managed to take some absolutely beautiful pictures I feel that they really did not capture the true beauty of that place! 

CON_0529.JPG

Seeing Denali is almost as good as winning the lottery.  Very few folks get too see it. Going back in hopes of seeing Denali.  The interior trip is pricey but worth the money.  July is best time to go especially if you like salmon.  Otherwise the last cruise of the season is when you will get great bargains on merchandise in the ports and on the ship.  

1 hour ago, fonemanbob said:

Seeing Denali is almost as good as winning the lottery.  Very few folks get too see it. Going back in hopes of seeing Denali.  The interior trip is pricey but worth the money.

Agree 100% with every word! Loved the land tour.

5 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

Seeing Denali is almost as good as winning the lottery.  Very few folks get too see it. Going back in hopes of seeing Denali.  The interior trip is pricey but worth the money.  July is best time to go especially if you like salmon.  Otherwise the last cruise of the season is when you will get great bargains on merchandise in the ports and on the ship.  

5 hours ago, bhageerah said:

Thanks for that tip! Never would have though about doing one of the last of the season....makes perfectly good sense!!  

You can also get great cruise fares end of season.  I just went on Explorer then I saw Radiance for $499 pp, Southbound.  It went as low as $449 pp.   If you can be flexible and travel on a few weeks notice there are some great fares.