Bumper cars and roller skating - bad ideas?

Matt

I found an interesting blog post by Arthur Frommer (author of many guide books) where he wrote about Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas' entertainment innovations being essentially bad ideas.

Groucho Marx once said the he would not join a club that would have him for a member.  I frankly feel that I would not want to sail on a ship whose passengers have been persuaded to book aboard by roller skating rinks and circus schools.  I somehow prefer mixing with people of a bit more substance.    

Obviously I don't agree with Mr. Frommer and having listened to his weekly radio show often, I know he's a bit of a troglodyte when it comes to new trends in travel (especially cruises).  

I really feel that while not everyone may absolutely want to go roller skating or go to circus school everyday, I do think offering more choices is always a good thing for us (consumers).  Plus the fact Royal Caribbean (and the cruise industry) continue to push the envelope in terms of what can be on a cruise ship is always a good thing for us.

I found an interesting blog post by Arthur Frommer (author of many guide books) where he wrote about Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas' entertainment innovations being essentially bad ideas.

Obviously I don't agree with Mr. Frommer and having listened to his weekly radio show often, I know he's a bit of a troglodyte when it comes to new trends in travel (especially cruises).  

I really feel that while not everyone may absolutely want to go roller skating or go to circus school everyday, I do think offering more choices is always a good thing for us (consumers).  Plus the fact Royal Caribbean (and the cruise industry) continue to push the envelope in terms of what can be on a cruise ship is always a good thing for us.

I've read a few things Mr. Frommer has said over the years. I know his idea of travel and cruising is not exactly the direction travel and cruising is currently going. But obviously Royal Caribbean is doing something right and people are responding with booking cruises onboard their ships. You can't help but smile when you read something from a person from a different era who is just slightly out of touch with today's world.  :)

I've read a few things Mr. Frommer has said over the years. I know his idea of travel and cruising is not exactly the direction travel and cruising is currently going. But obviously Royal Caribbean is doing something right and people are responding with booking cruises onboard their ships. You can't help but smile when you read something from a person from a different era who is just slightly out of touch with today's world.  :)

I tend to agree with what you said.  When it comes to how to tour places, I like his advice of not settling for super-touristy stuff but his view on cruising is certainly dated, to say the least.  

So what's this guys idea of fun ?, I can only think it must be on a ship with 3 classes and bars that don't allow women. Thank god we dont have ships like that anymore. I think he is missing the point of a cruise which is TO HAVE FUN !!!!!!!. Bring on the Bumber Cars , parades , skating and as many fun things as RC can come up with.

• 6 years later...
On 10/10/2013 at 12:13 AM, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

So what's this guys idea of fun ?, I can only think it must be on a ship with 3 classes and bars that don't allow women. Thank god we dont have ships like that anymore. I think he is missing the point of a cruise which is TO HAVE FUN !!!!!!!. Bring on the Bumber Cars , parades , skating and as many fun things as RC can come up with.

I don't know, the "ship within a ship" trend for new builds is growing. I wouldn't be surprised with the Quantum Ultra having something like that in China and the new Icon class ships going forward. 

While I doubt that I am in total agreement with Mr. Frommer about the cruise recreation options, I do see something to his point.  One of the reasons we liked our first cruise so much was it was a true get-away.  Since it pre-dated the onboard internet, it seemed  like a real escape from the daily grind.  Our favorite cruise was also one of those early ones.  It was 14 day Panama Canal and it only had 4 port days, so very relaxing.  It is nice to have the option to do things but there still should be some room to relax.  Sometimes it is nice just to lie on a deck chair, sip a cocktail and watch the water.  No worrying about “gotta get to....” or “gotta post that...”.  So while he maybe focused on certain aspects that I do not agree with, I can also find a theme in his statement about the “loss of relaxation” and there is some truth to that aspect.

Everything changes...and not always for the better. And just cause you don't agree or like someone's opinion, doesn't make you or yours the right one.

That being said, I would say that my favorite cruises were the ones about 3-4 years ago.....on Radiance and Vision class ships., before all the theme park upgrades. I felt that there was enough balance for those that want a totally relaxing vacation and those that would be bored by just relaxing and needed a few things to do throughout the cruise to keep them interested.

Now, its non-stop noise and activity...especially people video chatting back home(thanks to voom):40_rage:...besides the solarium, there aren't many places to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet. 

it's not that I have an issue with adding these type of options per se...I actually enjoy some of them....but its gone ALL that way now it seems.

And no, I am not old or out of touch or naive......

Old thread so interesting...

I still manage to have a relaxing time on ships with all the bells and whistles.  It helps me that there are activities to occupy other people that seek them.  That leads to fewer people competing for the areas where I want to relax.  I did bumper cars once and enjoyed it but it's not something I feel compelled to do every cruise.  I've zip lined before and it was fun but not something I do every cruise.  

This is actually one of the things I love about where Royal has gone.  There is as much or as little to do as I want.  I can choose to go skydiving or zip lining or I can choose to relax in the solarium while other people are going skydiving or zip lining.  The simple presence of attractions and activities has zero impact on my ability to enjoy the core elements of cruising - the smell of the ocean, the sun, relaxing.

I will be introducing some family to cruising in the coming years.  They can choose to jump into these activities or they can choose to sit back and do little.  They won't be limited by my choice of ship.  It's perfect for multi-generational family cruising.  

I'm on a bumper car ship right now.  We had to skip Antigua because of winds today.  Guess where all the kids are right now?  Bumper cars 9am to noon.  I love it.  They are all in the SeaPlex leaving other areas kid free.  Did I mention how much I love the bumper cars?   And I have no plans to drive one this cruise. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

There is as much or as little to do as I want.  ...  The simple presence of attractions and activities has zero impact on my ability to enjoy the core elements of cruising - the smell of the ocean, the sun, relaxing.

Exactly - use what you want to use and ignore what doesn't appeal to you.

Best thing about an aft-facing balcony on sea days is the ability to just enjoy the ocean without the crowds. Best thing about the pool deck on sea days is the ability to enjoy the crowds (people watching is fun to do).

32 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Best thing about an aft-facing balcony on sea days is the ability to just enjoy the ocean without the crowds.

Only one correction to that statement -- "Best thing about any balcony on sea days is the ability to enjoy the ocean without the crowds."

I've only had side balconies, albeit on the "hump", and had zero complaints about my view of the ocean or my ability to hear its sounds and smell its smell with no other passengers mucking it up for me. I'll agree it's a lot more expansive a view from an aft balcony, but any ocean view on a (non-virtual) balcony is better than no ocean view from no balcony.