Return flight to early ?

Michel

Hello group

I will be disembarking the Allure in Port Everglades in Jan. 2016 and found a return flight at 10:50 AM.

Am I playing it to tight. There are some other later flight but they are much more expensive.

I'm flying back to Canada so options are a bit limited. 

I will of course use the self disembark system to get off the ship as early as possible but I dont want to put on to much stress on myself after a great cruise ! 

Thanks in advance for your answer. 

I think you are pushing it. I never schedule a flight before noon when disembarking from PE. Another reason for that (for me) is b/c I use RCCL's valet bags service and they will not allow you to have a flight b4 noon with this program. I LOVE the valets bags program. If it were me, I would schedule a later flight.

Thats a tough one. I guess it depends on how soon you can get off the ship, how long it takes to get to airport, and where you have to do customs, there or at home.

It may make your disembarking frantic, if you got a later flight you can have a big breakfest and coffee before leaving the ship with no worries.

You'd definitely need to do express disembark.  If you're willing to carry off your own luggage and line up about 15 minutes early, it's doable from what I've heard/read.  However, I wouldn't do it myself.  I'm also in the "not before noon" camp as you never know if there will be delays due to fog, port issues, immigration/customs issues, etc.  I've been on several cruises were disembarkation was delayed for nearly an hour because people didn't show up when called over the PA to meet with immigration officials before the ship was cleared.

Not sure if you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami, so can't comment on transfer time, however I always carry my own luggage off and think you would be off in plenty of time. I've booked later flights and always regretted waiting around. Last Oct. we were off the freedom in port canaveral by 0700. Yes, it's an early morning, with a little stress, but I enjoy having the added time at home to unpack before restarting my work week.

I always do self-carry off, but I wouldn't choose a flight before 11am. I know those are the cheaper ones back to Canada always, but not worth the risk/rush in my mind.

Boarding is probably at 10:15.....you need time to check in and clear security etc which means you don't want to be there any later than 9ish to be safe.

If you have a hired ride waiting for you maybe but I would be a little stressed out cutting it that close!

I had a 10:25AM flight from FLL off the Allure and we had no problem getting to the airport on time.  Allure docks very early and you can self disembark very early.  As I recall we got off the ship about 6:30AM - 6:45AM and we were thru customs, to the airport and through security well before 8AM.  Sure there is always the chance that there me be a delay in arrival but based on my experience, as well as several others on other message boards, you should have no problem making your flight. 

The advantage is very short lines at Customs and no wait for taxi's.  They are lined up waiting for people to get off the ship.

If it were another ship besides the Allure of Oasis, or you are going out of MIA then I wouldn't do it, otherwise I would have no problem booking an early flight again.

Thank you very much for your answers everybody, though your answers vary a lot.

Forgot to mentioned, yes, we're flying out of Fort Lauderdale.

I can see that some of you would never book before noon and some other are confortable with it.  

I can tell you that I agree that I might be putting to much stress on myself by choosing a early flight. And things can go wrong at any time on disembarkation day. 

Thank you very much for your answers everybody, though your answers vary a lot.

Forgot to mentioned, yes, we're flying out of Fort Lauderdale.

I can see that some of you would never book before noon and some other are confortable with it.  

I can tell you that I agree that I might be putting to much stress on myself by choosing a early flight. And things can go wrong at any time on disembarkation day. 

As I said I would have no problem booking an early flight from FLL if I was on the Allure or Oasis but you must decide what level of stress you can deal with.  So many feel less stress by planning for that <1% event.  I always have travel insurance when I'm cruising and the trip home is certainly less critical than the trip there in my mind.

Michel - When I worked full time, vacations were limited due to work responsibilities.  Thus, schedules were of the essence and I had to book close flights  - with a young family in tow.  And it was stressful.   In retirement/self-employment, my options are much more open.  Personally, I'd rather pay extra for a later flight than have to hustle around and worry about missing it.  Especially flying back to Canada from the Gulf.  If you don't have work responsibilities that require you to be back at a certain time, it's a no-brainer.  You are on vacation.  Enjoy it.

Michel - When I worked full time, vacations were limited due to work responsibilities.  Thus, schedules were of the essence and I had to book close flights  - with a young family in tow.  And it was stressful.   In retirement/self-employment, my options are much more open.  Personally, I'd rather pay extra for a later flight than have to hustle around and worry about missing it.  Especially flying back to Canada from the Gulf.  If you don't have work responsibilities that require you to be back at a certain time, it's a no-brainer.  You are on vacation.  Enjoy it.

Thanks !!

I love your way of seiing things ! Indeed, I don't have to rush to work the next monday. 

I always do self-carry off, but I wouldn't choose a flight before 11am. I know those are the cheaper ones back to Canada always, but not worth the risk/rush in my mind.

Boarding is probably at 10:15.....you need time to check in and clear security etc which means you don't want to be there any later than 9ish to be safe.

If you have a hired ride waiting for you maybe but I would be a little stressed out cutting it that close!

Thanks !!

No hired ride waiting for me there, only a strait taxi, so...

Coming from someone who also travels back to Eastern Canada. I think I'm gonna check for a later flight. 

Thanks for your reply monctonguy !

No worries. I always fly back the same day, but look for flights around noon or later. I know between the boat being on sechedule, getting off early, no delays in getting to the airport and then hoping for no long lines through security there are a lot of things that can happen that are out of your control.

This is probably more true for my travels through Orlando as the airport is at least a 45 min drive from the port, and I have seen an hour wait to get through security once at the airport. But out of FLL, TPA, MIA its not nearly as far to worry about.

Your probably ok..but for an extra $50 or whatever the difference is I would book a later flight. If the difference is much more than that, consider staying a night at a hotel and catching a early flight out the next morning. Sometimes that is the cheapest option for us Canadians trying to fly home!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

No worries. I always fly back the same day, but look for flights around noon or later. I know between the boat being on sechedule, getting off early, no delays in getting to the airport and then hoping for no long lines through security there are a lot of things that can happen that are out of your control.

This is probably more true for my travels through Orlando as the airport is at least a 45 min drive from the port, and I have seen an hour wait to get through security once at the airport. But out of FLL, TPA, MIA its not nearly as far to worry about.

Your probably ok..but for an extra $50 or whatever the difference is I would book a later flight. If the difference is much more than that, consider staying a night at a hotel and catching a early flight out the next morning. Sometimes that is the cheapest option for us Canadians trying to fly home!

Screw it, I'm going for it.

Just re-did our flights last night, leaving at 10:30. I think we can do it, was a short cab ride to airport last time. If it's true the Allure tends to get people off early then we should be good.

Stupid Air Canada canceled our flights so we had to redo everything. Got our 10:30 direct flight on points and got a awesome deal from WestJet heading to Lauderdale, arive at 9am. We paid 384 CAD taxes and fees in for a direct flight for 2 of us, surprised to see direct flights from Halifax for under 200.

I know your cruising the day after us in feb, not sure if WestJet's prices compare to yours. I wish prices were always this good.

I couldn't believe the deal I  found for airfare out of Halifax for my cruise out of San Juan...it was about $330 return USD......amazing.....that's crazy to think about $165 each way in USD.....never seen that in 15 years of travels!!

Glad I waited to book as previously flights were over $600 USD return and higher out of Moncton.

I couldn't believe the deal I  found for airfare out of Halifax for my cruise out of San Juan...it was about $330 return USD......amazing.....that's crazy to think about $165 each way in USD.....never seen that in 15 years of travels!!

Glad I waited to book as previously flights were over $600 USD return and higher out of Moncton.

Good for you my friend ! Hey were leaving soon ! If your in Fort Lauderdale saturday night (jan 9)  and want to grab a beer somewhere, and want to learn more about Quebec... just reply to this message, or text me @ 819-212-5484. I have a rental car, so can meet anywere. I travel with my girlfriend Lynda. 

Have a safe cruise ! 

Michel

That's a really great deal. We paid 585 when we went last year, and I thought that was a good deal.

It's funny because San Juan is so far away but costs the same as flying to Toronto or Boston. Iv noticed many Americans complain about the cost of flying to San Juan, it's not so bad for us, concidering.

Best of luck.

Hey Michel....we don't get to our hotel till about 10pm on Sat night....staying at the Ramada Fort Lauderdale....if you're anywhere around there we could try and meet up for a beer...my gf is from Edmundston and speaks French so we would have no problems chatting...haha

Yeah Jerel...it was an amazing deal..anything under $600 CAD is good sad to say....I have come across a deal once or twice for just under $500 our of Halifax....but this was amazing....I was on the fence about cancelling my cruise if the flights weren't going to come down from almost $1000 originally.

• 2 weeks later...