Well hello there

Jerel

Hey everyone, new member reporting for duty.

From the city of Halifax, Canadian Atlantic coast (cruise port).

Me and my wife Jessica took our first cruise a couple of years ago and have been hooked since.

We have been going once a year, the Enchantment, the Adventure, and the Allure next Febuary.

They seem allot more fun and easy than our other vacations.

We spend allot of time researching RCCL and watching youtube videos, podcasts too ;).

Sometimes I think we book just so we'll have something to look forward to and dream about.

See ya around,

Jerel

Thanks everyone!

I think you will have a good time Steve. I cant help but recommend Peggys Cove, really amazing coastline with rolling rock hills. Got a few cool old forts too, Citadel hill is walking distance from ship. In Saint John the city market is a must. Also I cant say enough about the Bay of Fundy, there may be some excursions available from Saint John. It was on the short list for the new seven wonders of the world, truly amazing place. The highest tides in the world completely transform the coast every 6 hours.

Hey Montonguy, I was wondering if the were any Canadians here, looks like there is, and a Maritimer ta boot. 

I wish we could sail from here too, I think its possible to get off here though, I forget the details. We got the Anthem comming in next year, very tempting.

I think I am one of the only Canadians on this board. With the cost of flights to get to these cruises, no wonder!!..lol

Kills me when I see airfare and cruise prices in the US compared to what we have to pay here. I suppose out of Halifax you have a few more options but.

I got 2 cruises lined up and looking now for a Feb cruise. I hate winters here, hence my cruise obsession now!

I think I am one of the only Canadians on this board. With the cost of flights to get to these cruises, no wonder!!..lol

Kills me when I see airfare and cruise prices in the US compared to what we have to pay here. I suppose out of Halifax you have a few more options but.

I got 2 cruises lined up and looking now for a Feb cruise. I hate winters here, hence my cruise obsession now!

Is it practical to drive across the border and take a flight from the US?

I hear ya, last winter was the worst, iv never seen one like it. I made the mistake of cruising in January, got home just to see the start of the dumping. It wasnt much of a 'winter break'. Next year its going to be late February.

Prices can be crazy, you really have to keep a eye on deals. Me and my wife each have Aeroplan credit cards witch helps. Every year we earn enough points to get us atleast one trip anywhere in North America, just off of mainly gas and groceries. You end up paying around 300 in airport taxes and fees but still worth it, although you do have to book early to get a decent flight. Last year we didnt use them because we went out of San Juan, being off of mainland NA it cost too many points.

We found it very cheap to fly to San Juan, 585 total return each. I flew to Boston a few months before and it cost over 600, it still confuses me. Lots of cheap flights all the way to San Juan but Boston (a 12-14 hour drive max) costs more, same with Toronto.

It is easier for me in Halifax though, short drive to airport and we have many flights options.

Is it practical to drive across the border and take a flight from the US?

It can be, people do it. But for me time is a big factor. Taking time off of work can be hard, id have to add two more days onto my trip, and I HATE driving. Stepping on and off a plane is awesome, ill never take it for granted. Montonguy is closer to the border, if he doesnt mind the drive he may be able to make it work, but he'd have to factor in gas and time.

There is very little savings to be had out of Bangor, ME which is the closest for me. It usually ends up more with the hotel and gas. Once you get down as far as Portland or Boston, you tend to see some savings, but not enough to justify 2 extra days of travel and 2 more nights in a hotel.

We have no competition up here, high fuel prices and a low dollar so it really hurts right now.

Last winter was the same for me. Got back from a cruise end of Jan, and it snowed the next day and basically didn't stop here for 2 months.

I have never looked at trying to get flights to San Juan.....$585 is  a great deal. And I know that the cruises out of SanJuan are usually pretty good price and have some great itineraries!