Early or late seating

Julie

Trying to decide if we should take early or late seating for dinner in MDR.  We are cruising on Allure in November and I have a 12 year old daughter.  Late seems too late for us but I am worried the first seating will cut into our port time. Any advice?

Early seating is fine. It won't cut into your port time, especially on Allure. I think the LATEST set sail time is 4 or 4:30. And you'd board well-before set sail time. Early is the way to go. Then you have the entire evening to enjoy activities. Rather than that awkward time between all-aboard and late-seating.

• 4 weeks later...

We opt for late seating also. This time (we just got home yesterday) our table-mates ordered two starters and sometimes two entrees. We had the best waiter, and he didn't mind accommodating us at all.

I almost always order multiple entrees and appetizers.  I love trying different foods and cruising is a big part of that

• 7 years later...

I'm fascinated by all the responses.  Obviously, it's why Royal give everyone a choice.  For the reasons already stated, my wife and I almost always prefer late dining (but we don't travel with kids).  And this is in spite of almost never eating late at home.  If we are ready early, there's always the Windjammer (but not since the restart) or we grab a snack at Sorentos or Cafe Promenade to hold us over.

On 8/6/2013 at 2:53 PM, JayBird said:

Late seating for us.  I feel like there is too much going on in port or on the ship around 5:00 or 6:00 and I dont want to miss out

We’re the opposite! We choose early searing or if not available do My Time and pick the earliest time each day, generally around 5:30 PM.  With the late seating we feel like we loose time in the evenings and basically eat then head to bed. With the early seating, we get to wander around and people watch.

• 8 months later...

This will be our first cruise with the kids. We did the my time dining and booked for 7:00pm each night. I figured that should give us time to have a bit of chill time and wind down after a port day. Kids are 9 & 11 so not super young. They can handle staying up late on vacation. 

15 hours ago, Joanna990 said:

In a week I am going on my first cruise, but I can already say, absolutely late dining. It's fascinating for me this division in early and late, because 7-8 o'clock in Italy is the normal time for dinner.

12 hours ago, Micheleyd said:

This will be our first cruise with the kids. We did the my time dining and booked for 7:00pm each night. I figured that should give us time to have a bit of chill time and wind down after a port day. Kids are 9 & 11 so not super young. They can handle staying up late on vacation. 

Part of my assessment on dining preferences has been show times as well.  Early seating allows more flexibility to see shows as, in general,  the first show starts between 7-8pm and second is generally 9-930 pm.  Late seating generally limits you to only one feasible show time.