pass ports

I have always heard just the opposite - that you should NEVER take your p'ports off the ship. We never do.

The only situation where you would need to have your p'port would be if you are leaving the cruise and going somewhere else. If you are left behind (do not get back to the ship on time) then you will be SOL but I have heard that someone from the ship will actually go into your safe and retrieve your p'port and bring it to you on shore if the ship hasn't actually left the pier yet...so there must be circumstances under which you can "miss the boat" when it's still in port....kinda like not getting to the gate on time at the airport but you can still see your plane sitting at the gate...

I think the risk of losing your p'port on shore (or having it stolen) far outweighs the risk of missing the boat. BTW if you book an excursion with RCCL then you are guaranteed that the ship will not sail without you...so when I know that my excursion is distant from the boat (e.g., Mayan ruins, etc.) I always book through the cruise line even if it costs a little more.

If you leave your passports on the ship, you lose out on the very reason to have them.

The most likely scenario where you would benefit from the passport is if you are off the ship and get injured or somehow detained and miss the ship.  With a passport, you can leave the country you are in immediately and fly home or meet up with the ship.  But if your passport is back in your stateroom, it does you no good.

To that point, I always bring my passport with me when we go off the ship on an excursion.  I'll stash them somewhere, just like I do with my wallet.  

Just my advice :)

In Europe, I'm planning on bringing my passport. In the Caribbean, I never do as I'm usually doing an excursion where carrying the passport would likely destroy it or subject it to theft. I've also heard that security will check the safe and leave passports with the port agent if they leave without you.

First couple of cruises we used to carry them ashore. As Matt says the main reason for having them is to get home if something goes wrong.

However, they are a pain to carry as most shore excursions we do seem to involve immersing ourselves in the Caribbean, at this point we leave them on board. We do carry our Passport cards as ID ashore since those are wallet size and plastic not paper, but they are not useful for traveling home since they don't cover air travel.

Seems like the cards being usable for air travel would be the logical solution but the government doesn't do logic so that's out.

Waaytooo, I agree, but it apparently is common on some Asian itineraries according to an interview I was listening to over the weekend.  I'm guessing it's an immigration thing and the government screen the passports prior to clearing the ship.

Ok thanks. I never have taken mine off ship but then I read someone that said you must! I was hoping that was not the case now. What a pain. I know when we travel to Europe -the hotels will keep your passport at the office until you check out. I just make photo copies and put them in my luggage. I certainly did not want to keep up with those. Thanks for the advice!

Totally agree with Matt - take it with you while out in town, leave a copy in your cabin

When in Europe, I take copies of my passports all the time - and also take a picture of it

with my smart phone (in case it gets lost)  =this way I have a copy right on my phone

which you can also use to get VAT taxes back at many stores if you spend like I do.

I always have a copy of my passport on a micro USB that slips easily into my wallet and other necessary documents for emergencies. I never take my passport off the ship. New Zealand is strict with photo ID but they accept drivers licence.. All passports were collected by the ship prior to entering Bali (Indonesia) so you cant take it off the ship in port anyways.

TuffnTiny USB

I always have a copy of my passport on a micro USB that slips easily into my wallet and other necessary documents for emergencies. I never take my passport off the ship. New Zealand is strict with photo ID but they accept drivers licence.. All passports were collected by the ship prior to entering Bali (Indonesia) so you cant take it off the ship in port anyways.

TuffnTiny USB

I'm curious what would a scan of your passport do for you exactly?  Not trying to disparage your strategy, just curious what your thought process is on it :)

The same thing as a photo copy does, its just a copy.. Basically the USB is for emergency use.. If I get run over by a car they can access the USB and get contact, health, passport information if I am unable to give it myself.