Excursions

Well, final payment is today. That means we're getting close !! Yayyyy !!! So now I'm starting to think about excursions. I'm doing Western Caribbean itinerary, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth. Last year we did some Salsa thing in Cozumel, and swam with sting rays in Grand Cayman. This time I just want to put my feet in the sand and enjoy the Caribbean water. I've heard and seen plenty of tips about "just jump in a cab and tell him to take you to so & so beach". There's also the all inclusives you can shuttle to for the day, but those are $100ish PP. So what have ya'll done in these 3 ports for a simple inexpensive dip in the beautiful water ? Hints ? Tips ??

IIRC Falmouth has a pretty cheap beach excursion through the ship, nothing special just a pleasant beach, something around $20 pp ? Lost my wedding ring in the water there a few years ago.

At Cozumel there are many options, we have taken a taxi over to Chankanaab Park on a few occasions and enjoyed the beach there. From memory, $10 each way for the taxi (total not per person) and something like $25 pp entry fee. They have some nice palm huts on the beach that are free to use, waiters will run a tab, etc. They have the dolphin swim area and lots of other activities that seem to attract the crowds and the beach is usually quiet until later in the day.

Another one for Cozumel that is within walking distance of the pier. Park Royal is a resort that has lovely facilities for day guests. You will be able to see the big thatch roof of the resort from the ship. Go out the gates, turn left and walk less than 5 minutes. There is a kiosk on your left where you can pay. There is no need to cross the street and go all the way up to the resort lobby. I think we paid $40 pp for the day. Note that this price does NOT include drinks or food...just use of the beach, chairs, swimming pools and whatever other things they have there...floats, etc.

If you want to have a day pass for FREE you can bite the bullet and listen to their timeshare presentation. It wasn't bad. I told them up front that we were not going to buy and we're doing it only for the free day pass and they just went through the motions and pushed us through quickly. If you decide to do this, be sure you take ID and a credit card with you. They will not give you the presentation without both.

I've been to two inexpensive beaches in Cozumel:

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2010/07/21/excursion-focus-paradise-beach-cozumel

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2010/08/03/excursion-focus-playa-palancar

Both require a short cab ride, but they're essentially what you want: somewhere nice to put your feed in the sand and be able to swim.

We booked the Blue Hole and lunch. It is 75 pp thru Liberty. They have great reviews. In Grand Cayman we are doing Dexters for the stingray tour.  In Cozumel -we have emailed Cozumel Cruise excursions 7 times to get info....no response so we will look at other options for jeep tour/snorkle/beach time 

I'm enjoying this thread as I've been to Cozumel several times and will be there on the Liberty and Allure, so it's nice to find new things to do.  Was considering Mr. Sancho if anyone has any feedback.  I know it's highly rated on TripAdvisor.

I know longer see it as an excursion, but we once did a culinary excursion at Playa Mia.  It included a cooking lesson, plate decorating, and then you at the meal that you prepared.  Afterwards, you could enjoy the facilities and there was an open bar the entire day with wine served during the meal.