East or West?

I actually prefer the west especially if you're lucky enough to have Costa Maya on the itinerary. Of course, it will depend on what other stops you make

I am so tired of ST Thomas and St Maarten. Unless I am going jewelry shopping (St Thomas !!) I will usually choose the west.

I love Costa Maya but RCI rarely goes there anymore. I had heard some rumors about why that is, but I have never had anything confirmed by the cruise line (doubt they ever will).

My answer to this depends on what I've done most recently.  The truth is both are pretty comparable and there isn't much difference overall.  I can think of pros and cons for both but I think it's nice to mix it up as much as possible because either can "get old" if it's done too much.

Personally, I prefer East, especially if St. Martin is a stop.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Another bonus of the east is San Juan and St. Thomas are US territories so cell service is free for most providers, a plus if you need to check in with anyone mid cruise.  Also higher duty free allowances from St. Thomas if that is important to you.

• 3 months later...

I actually prefer the west especially if you're lucky enough to have Costa Maya on the itinerary. Of course, it will depend on what other stops you makeI am so tired of ST Thomas and St Maarten. Unless I am going jewelry shopping (St Thomas !!) I will usually choose the west.I love Costa Maya but RCI rarely goes there anymore. I had heard some rumors about why that is, but I have never had anything confirmed by the cruise line (doubt they ever will).

WAAAYTOOO, I would love your thoughts on Costa Maya, why you like it, how comfortable you feel walking in town, excursions you enjoy, etc. We will be there next month on Liberty's inaugural cruise from Galveston, but I think that is just a one-time opportunity. I'm thinking a Mayan Ruins tour would be the thing to do there but am looking for opinions.

WAAAYTOOO, I would love your thoughts on Costa Maya, why you like it, how comfortable you feel walking in town, excursions you enjoy, etc. We will be there next month on Liberty's inaugural cruise from Galveston, but I think that is just a one-time opportunity. I'm thinking a Mayan Ruins tour would be the thing to do there but am looking for opinions.

While you didn't ask my opinion, Steve, I will tell you that we truly enjoyed the ruins and that they were spectacular. When we're there on the Allure in 2017, we're going into town to do the resort Matt blogged about.

Steve I just love going into town and hanging out. It's about a 10 min cab ride into town. It's very small, all walkable, beautiful beach, $20 beach massage, hammocks, $1 Coronas, fresh lobster prepared on site, awesome guacamole ....just a wonderful, easy, fun day.

I also highly recommend the ruins. I guess it's Tulum ? I can never keep them straight. Might be Altun Ha. Doesn't matter...all very interesting.

I have always felt very safe. Many of the shop and bar owners are American. I once asked the owner of a bar (used to be Coco Loco owned by a guy from east LA but now is Krazy Lobster own by someone else) if they ever had trouble with drug cartels. He just laughed and said they would NEVER come there and if they tried, the locals would just "take care of it" with their machetes. Not sure if that made me feel safe or not, but I keep going back.

I have never taken an excursion (except for the ruins) b/c we just love hangin out on the beach but I'm sure anything on the water would be incredible. It's my favorite port next to Curaçao.

One piece of advice if you decide to go to the beach and get a massage. Do NOT let anyone arrange the massage for you. They double the price and take half for themselves. Just walk up to one of the tables where they are doing the massages and wrangle a price for yourself. It's always been $20.

Thanks WAAAYTOOO and DocLC! That's great info and it sounds like it will be a good port stop.

I'll have to wait a while to give you a Like: "

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

I didn't realize there was a limit, so I liked in your behalf. ;)

I realized for myself that it takes s couple of visits before you truly appreciate the port.

I didn't realize there was a limit, so I liked in your behalf. ;)

Wow ! Who knew ? A limit to how much joy you can spread. What's wrong with this picture ?

I guess I got carried away after returning from my cruise and catching up on the blog posts.  It looks like the clock has reset, so I'm back in business!

• 2 weeks later...

I take these things into account

1) my budget for trip

After that I look at

2) port I would leave from

3) will I need a flight & hotel (goes back to budget

4) then I look at time of year I want to travel that will give me a good idea what is offered

5) then I take into account where I want to go and where have we been. I have done most of western so eastern is our next adventure

I take these things into account

1) my budget for trip

After that I look at

2) port I would leave from

3) will I need a flight & hotel (goes back to budget

4) then I look at time of year I want to travel that will give me a good idea what is offered

5) then I take into account where I want to go and where have we been. I have done most of western so eastern is our next adventure

Great tip!