Bad breakfast habit onboard

bcarney

I must confess to having a bad breakfast habit on board. Take a small pile of corned beef hash, and smother it in country gravy. Yes, it looks as terrible as it sounds, but tastes great to me!

Sometimes I include a side of smoked salmon.

Gosh I'm glad I got that off my chest. :)

Looking forward to having this breakfast again in just under 200 days!

Where are you sailing to and which ship? I'm down to 36 days on the Oasis to Eastern Caribbean (first cruise ever).

New England & Canada 5 Oct -- it's with a RCI competitor so I choose not to talk about line or ship on the RCI Blog, Back with RCI 12 May 2014 on Serenade -- Spain, France, Italy, etal , can't wait. I know you'll love your 1st cruise -- enjoy

Okay, this might be an Australian slang term but what is "streaky bacon"? :)

Hi Matt, probably the easiest way to do this is a little copying and pasting from Wikipedia...

Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. It is usually made from side and back cuts of pork, except in the United States, where it is almost always prepared from pork belly (typically referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style" outside of the US and Canada). Side bacon, or streaky bacon, comes from pork belly. It is very fatty with long layers of fat running parallel to the rind. This is the most common form of bacon in the United States.

So, pretty much, what Americans just call bacon, we refer to as streaky bacon (because there are lots of other types of bacon over here). I like the streaky (ie. fatty) stuff because it has the best flavour, even though it's not really very healthy for you. :)

• 3 years later...

I must confess to having a bad breakfast habit on board. Take a small pile of corned beef hash, and smother it in country gravy. Yes, it looks as terrible as it sounds, but tastes great to me!

I just found this old post. Wow, bcarney!  That sounds like a heart attack on a plate. Not judging, just commenting!

Hey Carney,

I know you like your 

Hey Carney,

I know you like your curry also. We were on the Serenade a few weeks ago and had dinner in the Windjammer. They had chicken curry and also goat curry as well as many other great looking selections. I have never had curry before so I took the plunge. The chicken was ok but the goat was incredible. Great flavor, great spice with just a hint of heat on the end. I didn't finish the chicken and went back a coupe of times for the goat. I'll be looking for the curry dishes next year on the Allure. Thanks for the tip!!

I know you like your curry also. We were on the Serenade a few weeks ago and had dinner in the Windjammer. They had chicken curry and also goat curry as well as many other great looking selections. I have never had curry before so I took the plunge. The chicken was ok but the goat was incredible. Great flavor, great spice with just a hint of heat on the end. I didn't finish the chicken and went back a coupe of times for the goat. I'll be looking for the curry dishes next year on the Allure. Thanks for the tip!!

You are very welcome! Goat curry is one of my favorites as well! If you have a chance go to a Caribbean restaurant and try their spin on the dish.

You are very welcome! Goat curry is one of my favorites as well! If you have a chance go to a Caribbean restaurant and try their spin on the dish.

Hey Carney,

I know you like your 

Hey Carney,

That sounds fantastic! I love curry! I hope they have that On Serenade in Oct when we're on her!

I just wish the hash had more crisp to it... But I eat bad the whole cruise but I do work out almost every day so I guess I'm good...

Hubs ate the corned beef hash every single morning, and now he won't be able to get it for another year! Poor thing. I hate it, so it isn't something we eat around here much!

That's interesting.  I've never been on a Royal cruise that didn't have grits !  I would have been devastated !  

:wacko:

Same hear even when sailing the Baltics from Sweden and the Norway/Iceland from Great Britain.

I think it sounds delicious...but I would want to add a couple poached eggs....or just top it with eggs benedict....

How timely! I just boarded Rhapsody today and I'm looking forward to starting my day with this tomorrow!

I had it seven straight days in a row.  On the last morning my family and I were wearing matching T-shirts, and one gentleman came up to my wife and asked her what I put on the corned beef hash because it looked good!

On 9/21/2013 at 4:53 PM, bcarney said:

Would that be "canned" corned beef hash?  Or something akin to home fries with big chunks of brisket and sauteed onions and even some green pepper?

If it's the canned variety, I'd just indulge that at home.  

"I want a cold can of corned beef hash and pot of black coffee" - The Chief in the diner scene from "Freakazoid"

Guest toodle68
On 4/5/2017 at 8:46 PM, DocLC said:

Same hear even when sailing the Baltics from Sweden and the Norway/Iceland from Great Britain.

I am sure Grits are in high demand on that cruise..  said no one ever..  :3_grin:

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:47 AM, toodle68 said:

I am sure Grits are in high demand on that cruise..  said no one ever..  :3_grin:

I love grits! I guess on that cruise though, you had to settle for bangers and mash, or toad in a hole, or bubble and squeak, or even spotted ...never mind about that one. :10_wink:

On 4/13/2017 at 4:53 PM, BillHoo said:

Would that be "canned" corned beef hash?  Or something akin to home fries with big chunks of brisket and sauteed onions and even some green pepper?

If it's the canned variety, I'd just indulge that at home.  

Canned, with green peppers added as an addition.  But it was a good quality canned hash, as far as canned hashes go.