Internet, Wifi, Prices, Tips and Suggestions for iPad or iPhones

pffan

Howdy, going on the Navigator of the Seas on Sept 29, 2013 for 7 nights Eastern Mediterranean cruise.

I was wondering about internet access details.

I plan on having my iPad and my iPhone and would just like to use my iPad for a few minutes each day to upload/download email and maybe send a text message using the VONAGE MOBILE app.

I know that pricing is $0.65/minute or $35 for 60 minutes.

My wife will probably have her iPad with her also and would like to do the same.

Question:  Is WIFI available throughout the ship? (Cabins, Common Areas, Internet cafe)

Question: How is access controlled?  Would be nice if it were tied to a username/Cabin Number and you could use multiple devices on the single account.  ie: I connect for 2 mins with my iPad and download mail.  My wife connects for 2 mins with her iPad and downloads mail.  Then later in the day I check my email from my iPhone for 1 minute.  Total minutes used 5 mins.

Question: What is the suggested method for controlling access with your US based phone while the ship is out of the USA(including territories/islands, San Juan, St Thomas, etc)?  Would Normal iPad/iPhone settings be AIRPLANE MODE ON and then TURN WIFI ON when you want to connect and then TURN WIFI OFF when you are done?

Question: We have SPRINT and they charge $0.50 for outgoing text and $0.05 for incoming texts?  To use this would the proper way be to take the iPad/iPhone out of AIRPLANE MODE and then insure that SETTINGS->GENERAL->CELLULAR->Cellular DATA is "OFF".  This way your phone is active if a cell tower is available but won't be trying to use Cellular data to check email, surf the web, etc.

Any other Suggestions, Tips, Concerns?

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about internet access details.

Hi.

1. Yes. Wifi is available throughout the ship. It's stronger in some places than others.

2. Access is controlled. You purchase a package, and every time you'd like to log on using that package's minutes, you have to login with an account that you created at the time of purchase.

3. What you suggested of keeping Airplane Mode ON and toggling Wifi should work fine when outside the US.

4. That is correct. Just remember that a text message (SMS) is not the same as a picture message (MMS). So when you turn data off, you may not be able to send/receive picture messages. Also note that those Sprint prices apply when there is a tower available. At sea, you won't have any reception. On-shore, you likely will--in the Mediterranean anyway. 

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...