Should I avoid connecting rooms

Hello Steve,

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I have not been on the Mariner but I have been on other Royal ships with a connecting room. Never had a problem with noise from the connecting room. The one thing we don't like about a connecting room is where the door is located. There will be no small couch in the room because of the connecting door. There is usually a small upholstered chair. We now avoid connecting rooms. :27_sunglasses:

I was about to get a cabin with a connecting room because it was the only one available anywhere near the location of the ship I wanted. The RC trip planner let me know it was a connecting cabin, so although I really wanted that spot, I gave it up. I remember Matt writing that he couldn’t get a connecting room and so I figured there had to be other people out there who would need it, too. I do not know of a disadvantage for it, but perhaps ask for the change so that a family or group who may need it could have it. 

Just now, Adriana said:

I remember Matt writing that he couldn’t get a connecting room and so I figured there had to be other people out there who would need it, too.

That's right.  Someone had a connecting room booked and the connecting room next to it was free but refused to give it up.  Frankly, I was astonished at the idea that they'd want a connecting room if they weren't planning on taking advantage of the other room too.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

That's right.  Someone had a connecting room booked and the connecting room next to it was free but refused to give it up.  Frankly, I was astonished at the idea that they'd want a connecting room if they weren't planning on taking advantage of the other room too.

Holy Smokes! They knew someone needed it and would not give it up?! That is something! Trust me, I was not happy to give up the cabin that I wanted due to the location and lack of type of cabin and anywhere near midship, but I kept thinking of you and that some poor family would be separated, especially since the one next door was ADA. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I hope they ended up with very loud neighbors...

We had a connecting room for our recent Alaska cruise on The Radiance of the Seas. It was an oceanview room on deck 3 (3062). It had a small sofa and a king bed. Did not hear a sound from the other stateroom. The last day I knocked on the neighbors' door to thank you for being so quiet. It was a couple, no children. They said they didn't hear my loud snoring. I guess we were more fortunate than others that have had connecting rooms.

1 hour ago, stevendom57 said:

Here is my dilemma. My room is perfect otherwise. It is not near elevators or noisy places. There are only staterooms above and below. I am worried that if I move I will get a room that is noisier in other respects. What to do, what to do???

Being near an elevator is not a bad thing.  I wouldn't worry about it. 

On 7/27/2018 at 8:12 AM, stevendom57 said:

Here is my dilemma. My room is perfect otherwise. It is not near elevators or noisy places. There are only staterooms above and below. I am worried that if I move I will get a room that is noisier in other respects. What to do, what to do???

That is why I wanted the the cabin I had chosen that was a connecting room. It was the perfect location for me and the type I wanted. I have not heard too much about noise. I asked and was told that yes, typically families need them, thus I gave it up out of consideration. I did not want a family split up on my account. If you are mainly looking for your desired location and that is the most important thing to you, then you will prob be fine. Take earplugs.