Santorini

LadyB

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 8:40 AM, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

Replying in hopes to bump this up and maybe someone will help you out.  Planning our first visit to Europe in 2020.  What ship are you on, and when are you sailing? 

We’re sailing in Jewel if the Seas, leaving Rome on September 27th for 9 night.  Thanks for the bump!

We did SO64 the Akrotiri ruins and Oia Village.  It was a 4 1/2 hour excursion but you only got an hour in Oia.  The ruins were an interesting site but no where near Pompeii.  When I go back, I am heading right to Oia. You want to go to Oia!  It is the village were all the famous pictures you see on Santorini are taken.  Fira is where you want to be at the end of the day to take the tram down and get the tender back to the ship.  

Santorini-5_sm.jpg

Oh my, racking my memory now...   We also visited Santorini on Splendour in 2015 and had a great day on Santorini with Kostas as our guide (do a search on TripAdvisor for more info).  He took us to Oia before the crowds arrived and we had a great time.  Be forewarned, the line for the tram back down to the tenders in Fira at the end of your excursion can get extremely long.  We chose to walk down the path dodging donkeys and donkey poop.  Consider it a part of the adventure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, cookingyo said:

We did SO64 the Akrotiri ruins and Oia Village.  It was a 4 1/2 hour excursion but you only got an hour in Oia.  The ruins were an interesting site but no where near Pompeii.  When I go back, I am heading right to Oia. You want to go to Oia!  It is the village were all the famous pictures you see on Santorini are taken.  Fira is where you want to be at the end of the day to take the tram down and get the tender back to the ship.  

Santorini-5_sm.jpg

Thank you so much!  We are doing Oia at 8:00am returning to the ship at 11:00am with the rest of the day by the pool!

On 8/7/2018 at 9:34 AM, carlosalonsor said:

As cookingyo says , that would be the best thing to do. Wander around Oia by yourself, then head up to Fira, wonder a little more and then take the tram down to the tender.

Perfect!!  This is exactly what we are planning on doing.  I guess I just needed confirmation we were doing the right thing!

On 8/6/2018 at 2:30 PM, cookingyo said:

Awesome to hear!  We will be in Santorini for the first time on a 12 day Greek med cruise.  There are so many places we are doing excursions that it's good to know we can just enjoy oia.  Does the tram run both ways?  Or is there a better way to get there? Or back?  Jane

• 3 years later...

Stay on the boat or do your own tour. We did the "best of Santorini tour" and it was poor imo. More time on the bus than at the sites. I. Aug, the town of Oia was unwalkable due to the crowds.it was a real disappointing experience. Also, the bus supplied was crap, old with sh!t air con and very load motor so we could not hear the guide. We don't usually complain about anything but for the price we were charged it has been a massive let down! 

For something relaxing, consider a visit to a black-sand beach.  We did that at Santorini in 2011, so I don't know if it is available.  There was a restaurant across the street, a convenience store/gift shop, and plenty of covered lounges.  The Royal excursion provided bus transportation to and from the beach and dropped us off at Fira.  The guide on the bus provided a nice narrative, instructions for the tram down to the tender port, etc.  Again, this was relaxing rather than exciting.  It was not crowded at all (and this was July).