Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maartan

Jewelmarie53

I'm currently booked on Oasis of the seas Oct 28 - Nov 4. Our stops are nassau, st. Thomas and St. Maartan...what are the best shore excursions you have encountered in any of these ports. Trying to spread out what what we do each time. Which is the best place for snorkeling, just walking around or just hanging out on the beach. Any input is EXTREMELY appreciated...first time cruiser!!

If your ship is in St. Maarten from 8 until 5, and you're up for an all-day outing with both snorkeling and beach time, take a look at either Random Wind or Soualiga Destinations. Both are third-party excursions you'll have to book directly, but they both have a great reputation and rating on Trip Advisor. Random Wind got hammered when the hurricane blew threw, but IIRC they've restored the ship and are doing business again. I did Soualiga Destinations this past April and it was fantastic. Wrote a review of them, and you can see photos of the trip on the live(ish) blog I did:

Nassau:  we just did a self guided tour but I've heard good things about the British Hilton (from Matt and others)

St Thomas:  we did a Sea Lion Swim at Coral World (booked outside RCI, fairly pricey)  that was a lot of fun

St Maarten:  Ropes course at Loterie Farm was a blast.  This next visit will be an ATV tour of the island.  

15 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

In St Thomas you could take a ferry to St John. The beaches there are stunning. 

Beautiful at St John's! I just did the St John all inclusive excursion through Royal and felt it was a bit of a waste. A lot of traveling for about an hour and a half on the beach. In no way would I discourage anyone from going to St John's  - just if you do an excursion make sure you read the fine print. We did not and found later we somehow missed the part where they told us only a 1.5 hours on the beach  - and weren't thrilled.

21 hours ago, ellcee said:

Beautiful at St John's! I just did the St John all inclusive excursion through Royal and felt it was a bit of a waste. A lot of traveling for about an hour and a half on the beach. In no way would I discourage anyone from going to St John's  - just if you do an excursion make sure you read the fine print. We did not and found later we somehow missed the part where they told us only a 1.5 hours on the beach  - and weren't thrilled.

I agree, I believe is better if you take the ferry and explore without an excursion. 

Here is one of the beaches you could visit. I took this pic on my last trip to St John's. I was going to book the tour you took but it was sold out so I only book the ferry round trip. 

?

IMG_5766.jpg

Hey, we're on Oasis the week after you!  We've booked Soualiga Destinations for St Maarten.  For St Thomas, we decided on a third party foodie walking tour of Charlotte Amalie, a part history/part eating tour that lasts about 3 - 4 hours.  A close 2nd choice was the ferry to St. Johns. 

Not a fan of Nassau, so our plans are to visit the spa on that day.  

Are you traveling with a group or just a couple?  With a group, one option in Nassau is a private charter for snorkeling etc.  We have chartered Capt Carl Blades with Bahamas Boat tours and had good snorkeling, one site with Hawksbill turtles.  Expensive for just 2, but with a group of 4 - 6, is certainly doable at reasonable cost per person.  

14 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Have a great time! If you have Brett and Laura as your captain and first mate, tell them Joe (the guy who stayed in the boat and took pictures the whole time) said hi!

Will do; we're looking forward to the excursion.  Our first time to St Maarten.

13 hours ago, Floski said:

So are we!   Less than 13 weeks!!

Image result for excited gif

Hey!  That will be me at the Trellis bar just after boarding...

8 hours ago, rjac said:

Better be careful.....you act like that and they may not let you board the ship! :3_grin:

...tis but a twitch!

One of my biggest conundrums is where to have my first drink.  In Jan, it was the Champagne bar, because it was the 

first one we saw as we stepped onboard!   I like the Trellis bar, but I looooove the Solarium bar.  Regardless, it'll be early!

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

@Matt I wanted to ask you, if I remember correctly, this is just a walk from the pier? Is it close enough for my hubby to take his scooter that we will be renting or should be take a taxi?

It's really close by - you can see it from the ship! However, as far as the sidewalk quality from the pier to the Hilton I'm less sure about. There are some rougher patches IIRC.