Food access times at port and ship

Hi everyone!  Thanks for letting me join!  I am planning/ hoping to go on my first cruise in August. If I read correctly, I believe I can check-in as early as 9 on the port and board as early as 1:00. Is there access of food for me to buy for lunch at the port or on the ship?  If not, when will the restaurants open on the ship?

Welcome to the message boards!

Check in at the cruise terminal usually opens at 10am, depending on the port.  For many US based cruises that target a 4pm to 4:30pm sail away they often board around 11am and occasionally if you are lucky as early or even before 10:30am.  US Customs controls this, it's out of the ship's hands.  Sometimes there are other routine inspections or maintenance that can delay boarding but 11am is an average time to start boarding.  They'll start with consecutive cruisers, wedding parties, suite guests and then frequent cruisers who get to board before less frequent cruisers. 

Food access on the ship usually starts somewhere around 11 to 11:30am depending on the ship.  Most cruise terminals do not have food or beverages for purchase.  There is usually a water fountain or water station with paper cups available in the terminal waiting area.

Cabins are typically available from 1pm to 2:30pm depending on ship and port.  

Which ship and where are you sailing from?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Welcome to the message boards!

Check in at the cruise terminal usually opens at 10am, depending on the port.  For many US based cruises that target a 4pm to 4:30pm sail away they often board around 11am and occasionally if you are lucky as early or even before 10:30am.  US Customs controls this, it's out of the ship's hands.  Sometimes there are other routine inspections or maintenance that can delay boarding but 11am is an average time to start boarding.  They'll start with consecutive cruisers, wedding parties, suite guests and then frequent cruisers who get to board before less frequent cruisers. 

Food access on the ship usually starts somewhere around 11 to 11:30am depending on the ship.  Most cruise terminals do not have food or beverages for purchase.  There is usually a water fountain or water station with paper cups available in the terminal waiting area.

Cabins are typically available from 1pm to 2:30pm depending on ship and port.  

Which ship and where are you sailing from?

Either Enchantment of the Seas or Mariner of the Seas. Most likely Enchantment. Any thoughts or tips?

Port Canaveral (Enchantment) is different than the Port of Miami (Mariner).  More so in how you get to the port rather than the experience once you walk into the terminal.  Are you a FL resident and driving?

Enchantment is smaller than Mariner and will board faster.  Miami traffic is Miami traffic, not a lot anyone can do but sit in traffic depending where you are coming from and what time you are heading to the port.  It's not that bad but something to consider when planning your arrival to the port.

Since you are new to cruising, have you researched the ships?  While both are excellent ships, they offer very different experiences on board.  Mariner just completed a refreshment and since she is a larger ship there are more activities on board.   Mariner received some very new and exciting venues and on-board activities.  Other ships in the fleet will be getting some of these new refreshments in the years to come however Enchantment being smaller than Mariner won't be able to be refreshed in the same way.  

Make sure you research each ship on the Royal website before choosing which ship to cruise on.  I have cruises booked on both ships.    in fact in September I walk of Mariner and drive up the coast to board Enchantment the same day.    I look forward to both equally but I know both ships and have researched both well so my expectations have been set for both ships knowing they will be different experiences.

14 hours ago, New to Cruising Brandi said:

I believe I can check-in as early as 9

9am would be early and likely result in waiting around for the terminal to open. I'd recommend 10am just to minimize waiting outside the terminal, but still being among the first to check in.

15 hours ago, New to Cruising Brandi said:

board as early as 1:00

If you check in around 10am or so, you will be onboard well before 1pm.  The exact time will vary, but I'd expect to be on the ship in the 11:00am hour.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Port Canaveral (Enchantment) is different than the Port of Miami (Mariner).  More so in how you get to the port rather than the experience once you walk into the terminal.  Are you a FL resident and driving?

Enchantment is smaller than Mariner and will board faster.  Miami traffic is Miami traffic, not a lot anyone can do but sit in traffic depending where you are coming from and what time you are heading to the port.  It's not that bad but something to consider when planning your arrival to the port.

Since you are new to cruising, have you researched the ships?  While both are excellent ships, they offer very different experiences on board.  Mariner just completed a refreshment and since she is a larger ship there are more activities on board.   Mariner received some very new and exciting venues and on-board activities.  Other ships in the fleet will be getting some of these new refreshments in the years to come however Enchantment being smaller than Mariner won't be able to be refreshed in the same way.  

Make sure you research each ship on the Royal website before choosing which ship to cruise on.  I have cruises booked on both ships.    in fact in September I walk of Mariner and drive up the coast to board Enchantment the same day.    I look forward to both equally but I know both ships and have researched both well so my expectations have been set for both ships knowing they will be different experiences.

Thanks for all of the information. I’m flying in, so that is why my travel agent is pushing Enchantment since it won’t be as difficult to get to from the airport.  She also highly suggested Southwest Airlines so that I can have one free luggage and I don’t get charged for cancellation and instead use my credit for a different time. It will just be me and my husband, so we really don’t need or care for the extreme physically active features such as water slides. I am concerned about live entertainment. My brochure says no broadway musicals on either, yet the website says they do. So much to think about. Thanks for all of the info. Each of these posts are great!

11 minutes ago, New to Cruising Brandi said:

I’m flying in, so that is why my travel agent is pushing Enchantment since it won’t be as difficult to get to from the airport.  She also highly suggested Southwest Airlines so that I can have one free luggage and I don’t get charged for cancellation and instead use my credit for a different time. It will just be me and my husband, so we really don’t need or care for the extreme physically active features such as water slides. I am concerned about live entertainment. My brochure says no broadway musicals on either, yet the website says they do. So much to think about. Thanks for all of the info. Each of these posts are great!

I'm in Colorado so I fly to all cruises.  

Southwest flies to Ft Lauderdale (airport code FLL) and to Orlando (airport code MCO).  

FLL airport to the Port of Miami is 28 miles.

MCO airport to Port Canaveral is 45 miles.

While I find Port Canaveral to be slightly less convenient to get from airport to ship, I wouldn't let that play a major role in the decision making process.  I would place the emphasis on the itineraries and the ships.  How you get to the ship is small technicality compared to the ports of call and the ship itself.   

It is probably too late now but one thing you might consider in the future is to fly in the day before the cruise.  There are many hotels around the port cities that cater to the cruise crowd.  

Since there are so many things that can go wrong with flights being canceled etc it would be wise to be there a day early so as not to take a chance on being late to the port.  The cruise ship will not wait for you if you dont make the sail away time (usually 4pm-5pm) and you have to be on the ship an hour or two before sail away.

I live in Fl and drive to the ports,  we still get a hotel room the night before the cruise.  A good example happened on Tues when I went to Lake City to meet someone.  On the way back just before I got back to Tallahassee there was a large accident on the interstate.  It backed up traffic for 5 hrs.  That could happen on our way to a cruise and something like that could cause us to miss the ship.

Not trying to scare you but you need to keep that in mind for any future cruises.

51 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm in Colorado so I fly to all cruises.  

Southwest flies to Ft Lauderdale (airport code FLL) and to Orlando (airport code MCO).  

FLL airport to the Port of Miami is 28 miles.

MCO airport to Port Canaveral is 45 miles.

While I find Port Canaveral to be slightly less convenient to get from airport to ship, I wouldn't let that play a major role in the decision making process.  I would place the emphasis on the itineraries and the ships.  How you get to the ship is small technicality compared to the ports of call and the ship itself.   

In my experience, if you do a one-way rental at Port Canaveral, it is vastly more convenient than doing Port Miami despite the greater distance. This isn't to say that getting to Port Miami is difficult. It's not if you use a cab or rideshare from FLL.

• Port Canaveral -- quick, easy, convenient car rental drop off with shuttle to port -- less traffic -- less hectic at the port -- Enchantment is a wonderful ship with the coolest pool bar in the fleet, The Oasis. She is smaller, but feels like a big ship considering she is stretched from the other Vision class ships so that you have the longest pool deck I have seen on a RC ship.
  • Port Miami -- not too bad, it's a little hectic in the port area compared to other ports I've sailed from, and it's WAY more scenic. Mariner -- recently refurbished...I sailed on her sister, Navigator and have to say that this is my sweet spot class of ships so far.

The entertainment on both ships will be pretty much the same type pf shows. You need to book Oasis Class, Anthem of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas if you are stuck on seeing a Broadway show.

With one exception, I flew in the day before my cruises and will continue to do this.

On 7/26/2018 at 9:33 AM, MikeK said:

It is probably too late now but one thing you might consider in the future is to fly in the day before the cruise.  There are many hotels around the port cities that cater to the cruise crowd.  

Since there are so many things that can go wrong with flights being canceled etc it would be wise to be there a day early so as not to take a chance on being late to the port.  The cruise ship will not wait for you if you dont make the sail away time (usually 4pm-5pm) and you have to be on the ship an hour or two before sail away.

Don't wait to make the b4 cruise day reservations. It can be really frustration to find a room. Ask me how I know - Galveston - Liberty of the Seas. We got lucky and found a room in the Tremont near cruise day. I guess some folks cancel.