Air2Sea questions

We booked a cruise, using a travel agent, departing from Southampton.  At her recommendation, we booked with Air2Sea.  Due to work and school schedules, we are unable to fly in the day before.  We are concerned because, due to an airline schedule change, a somewhat tight connection at JFK  for our flight to London has been reduced to just over an hour, if there are no delays.  Since we are flying out on a summer afternoon in the south, there is a real potential for thunderstorms.  My question is what happens if we miss our connection.  There are flights later that night; will they work to get us on one of those?  We do have travel insurance.  If we miss the connection,  do we contact the airline, the travel insurance company or Air2Sea?  If we can't get a later flight out that day,  my understanding is that Air2Sea will get us to the next port of call-not ideal but oh well.  In the meantime, do they put in a hotel?  Give us a per diem for meals (which we would have had as part of our cruise fare)? The first day is at sea, so we would miss the first couple of days.  Also we have paid for BOGO dining, but will miss the first two nights of the cruise.  Will RC reimburse us for that?  What about the first two days of the deluxe beverage package we will be unable to use?  

I have tried to change our flights, but the cost is astronomical.  I just want to know what my options are so that if the worst happens, I am prepared and can act swiftly.

Many thanks.

23 minutes ago, new to RC said:

due to an airline schedule change

This is the operative part of your discussion.  If the airline made a change to your schedule that has produced a sketchy connection, it is incumbent upon them to change to a schedule more accommodating to you.  This is a job for your TA.  I would insist that the TA take care of this for you.  Changing the flights to permit a reasonable connection should cost you neither time nor money.

There are usually conditions such as the flight must have changed greater than 90 minutes to have change fees waived.

A one hour connection in JFK is tight but doable.  It is technically a "legal" connection.  JFK tends to start any day okay but as each day progresses delays are more and more common at JFK.  I've sometimes had to connect domestically at JFK and I usually avoid late afternoon connections.

If you miss the connection, the airline will try to rebook you on a later flight flight but you may not get great seats or be able to sit together.  At the first sign of the connection at risk, contact Air2Sea. 

Air2Sea has more skin in the game because they may need to get you to the next port so they are motivated to find you an alternate.  Most airlines are hesitant to sign the ticket over to another carrier since they lose revenue.  For this reason American might tell you the best they can do is a flight the next day instead of trying to transfer you to United or Delta.  

Most importantly, the age old rule applies - if you don't like the answer you get, hang up and try a few more times and maybe you'll get someone who can help you.

A couple of hours ago I got a notice of a flight time change but it's minor and doesn't really change anything.  Here is the verbiage they sent me:

Dear Travel Partner/Guest:

As part of our commitment to ensuring a smooth and trouble free travel experience, we would like to inform you that Delta Air Lines has notified us of a change to your upcoming itinerary. This notification is sent when Delta Air Lines makes changes to its flight schedules or when the passenger makes any type of change to the reservation.

Please find below your new Air2Sea itinerary.

We are happy to work with you should you have concerns about the changes; however, Delta Air Lines may charge the guest fees or higher fares for alternatives other than what they have currently provided in the itinerary. Royal Caribbean International, is not responsible for the air schedule changes, cancellations, rerouting, seat assignment(s) or any disruptions of scheduled service.

@twangsterI would like to know how you get a notification from Air2Sea?  I have had two changes to my air schedule and haven’t heard a word from them. I find it out by regularly checking on the Delta website. The first was resolved and now I have another schedule change which leaves me with a doable but sketchy layover. This is exhausting!  

Just now, Mljstr said:

@twangsterI would like to know how you get a notification from Air2Sea?  I have had two changes to my air schedule and haven’t heard a word from them. I find it out by regularly checking on the Delta website. The first was resolved and now I have another schedule change which leaves me with a doable but sketchy layover. This is exhausting!  

Not sure, I didn't do anything extra during the booking.  In my case my flight departs and leaves a whole one minute earlier.

I talked to Air2Sea and asked about getting notifications of schedule changes (I have had 3 so far.) The rep said they send them out close to departure-a week ahead. That's useless if you need time to work through an issue. Also, he said since the time to get to flight is 30 minutes in Atlanta, then if I want to change flights there would be a charge. He never offered to even put in a request and give me a price to change. I called Delta who told me it has to be a 90 minute change and this one is only 40 minutes. Also they can't make any changes; I have to go back to RCCL. So tomorrow I will continue climbing the chain of command until I get an acceptable solution. 

34 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

I talked to Air2Sea and asked about getting notifications of schedule changes (I have had 3 so far.) The rep said they send them out close to departure-a week ahead. That's useless if you need time to work through an issue. Also, he said since the time to get to flight is 30 minutes in Atlanta, then if I want to change flights there would be a charge. He never offered to even put in a request and give me a price to change. I called Delta who told me it has to be a 90 minute change and this one is only 40 minutes. Also they can't make any changes; I have to go back to RCCL. So tomorrow I will continue climbing the chain of command until I get an acceptable solution. 

Let me make sure I understand.  Time between posted arrival and departure is 30 minutes?  What time do you land in ATL and what time does your connecting flight depart?

Sorry for the confusion. Our original flight was scheduled to leave at 1:30 and now leaves 2:11. We arrive in Atlanta Terminal B at 5:35 and depart for Rome Terminal E at 7:05. Most international flights board a hour before departure. Yes if all the stars align we can make the connection but we chose this flight with a comfortable 2 hour layover so we would not have to be stressed out. It’s been years since we were in ATL and I know it’s a zoo. The representative said we only need 30 minutes to make the connection so no changes without a fee as it would be voluntary. 

13 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Sorry for the confusion. Our original flight was scheduled to leave at 1:30 and now leaves 2:11. We arrive in Atlanta Terminal B at 5:35 and depart for Rome Terminal E at 7:05. Most international flights board a hour before departure. Yes if all the stars align we can make the connection but we chose this flight with a comfortable 2 hour layover so we would not have to be stressed out. It’s been years since we were in ATL and I know it’s a zoo. The representative said we only need 30 minutes to make the connection so no changes without a fee as it would be voluntary. 

ATL is a very easy airport to navigate.  There is a train that will swoosh you from B to E.

I'm a million miler on Delta, almost exclusively on domestic flights.  I've transited through ATL over 1,000 times and that is not an exaggeration.  After all, DELTA stands for Deliver Every Living Thing to Atlanta.   

You're connection is very doable, even relaxed.  More than once I've connected in ATL where they closed the airplane door right behind me as I boarded and my checked luggage still made it.  I've mis-connected in a number of airports and the only time i mis-connect in ATL is when my arriving plane is so delayed my connecting flight has already left.  

I've had connections like yours, and walked from A to E underground just to get some exercise between flights.  

1 hour ago, Mljstr said:

The representative said we only need 30 minutes to make the connection so no changes without a fee as it would be voluntary. 

This airline tactic is so lame, and they all do it.  I've heard it myself - even when I had an international connection 2 terminals away.  If your gates are right next to each other, than maybe 30 minutes is ok.  Otherwise, ha.  If you are at the back of the plane, it can take 15 minutes just to get off.   If you have a cheap ticket (Air2Sea) they will often pull this shenanigan so they can sell the seat they know you will miss for more $$$.  

7 minutes ago, cruise-y said:

This airline tactic is so lame, and they all do it.  I've heard it myself - even when I had an international connection 2 terminals away.  If your gates are right next to each other, than maybe 30 minutes is ok.  Otherwise, ha.  If you are at the back of the plane, it can take 15 minutes just to get off.   If you have a cheap ticket (Air2Sea) they will often pull this shenanigan so they can sell the seat they know you will miss for more $$$.   I hate to give this advice but it works.  If the airline changes your connection time to something ridiculous and claims you can still make it, tell them you are handicapped.  I actually had a broken foot in a boot so I wasn't fibbing, but it was the only way I got them to rebook me to a reasonable layover after THEY changed the flight.

With respect, claiming handicap when you aren't is like claiming military when you aren't.  It dilutes the perks for those than have earned it and not something I'll ever do despite having a child going through basic training in the service of our country as I write this.

While I partially agree some airlines can be lame in their tactics, it's not fair to paint Air2Sea with that brush using guilt by association.  

Air2Sea in my experience isn't a cheap way to book flights.  I use them for the limited protection they offer, having actually read the terms and conditions.

Hate airlines all you want, but lay blame where it belongs.  Airlines do not intentionally "pull shenanigans".  Stuff happens.  Everyone wants cheap seats and accepts the clauses that come with those cheap rates while booking until something happens.  No one, including the airlines desire to create chaos in our lives or their operational day.

Whooooa Nellie!!!!! Let's back up a little and get this thread back on track. I didn't mean to start a disagreement between members. We won't be claiming handicap status although we are in our 70's and schlepping through an unfamiliar airport with carry ons to catch an international flight with a borderline connection  might certainly tax our physical and mental capacities-just ask our children! ? I will however call another agent in Air2Sea to get a quote for changing flights from SAT to ATL earlier in the day since there are 5 nonstops earlier and we might be willing to pay (under protest) a change fee to increase our comfort level with the connection. We chose this original itinerary with the connections in mind recognizing our unfamiliarity with the airport.

@twangster I appreciate you have a lot of experience with the airport and obviously  get perks with your Million Miler status but I'm sure you recognize it is unsettling for the airline to make these changes which drive up our blood pressure higher than it already is. ? They chip away at the schedule making tweaks here and there and pretty soon you have nothing like your  original  schedule. They have made 3 changes so far-one minor 10 minute one, a flight cancellation and now this one. Right now I am not their biggest fan although the agent I spoke to yesterday tried to be helpful, was polite and answered my questions. I appreciate that.

I was dissatisfied with the Air2Sea agent (I had the call on speaker and my husband said he was an a______) who did nothing for us-not even offer to put in a request to find out how much a change would be. I will be calling back today because any changes have to be made by them. I know I paid a small fee for this service and I think they should do more than brush me off with a "you can make it" .

BTW we are already going into Rome a day early so I won't miss the ship but I could miss time in Rome, prepaid tour there and time to get acclimated. That would suck!

@Mljstr - In your case you now have 90 minutes between arrival and departure.  You were very smart to book a longer layover and now that is paying dividends since there have been changes and you still have a very generous amount of time to make your connection.

Keep in mind you don't have to be at the gate of your Rome flight 60 minutes before.  Not that I think it will happen, but arriving after boarding has started won't impact you.  You could stop, eat a quick bite, go to the restroom and still make it to your Rome flight with ample time to board.

Unlike domestic flights were everyone is competing for overhead bins space, on most international flights people have checked bags and fewer carry on items usually meaning ample overhead bin space for everyone's carry on.  

You are likely not getting anywhere with Air2Sea or the airline because 90 minutes between flights is more than enough time for anyone regardless of their age or abilities. 

As to why flight times have changed - Airlines set schedules far in advance but as day of travel approaches many things impact the day of a plane. 

In some cases the FAA grants and adjusts take-off and landing slots in a giant jigsaw puzzle trying to balance multiple airlines using both the originating and destination airport. 

In your case the change may have started hours earlier in a different city far away where your plane (ironically called 'ships' in the airline industry) had to have it's scheduled adjusted for any number of reasons.  That one small change impacts the next leg and the leg after that and the leg after that until it comes to the leg that you are on. 

It could be that an airport in California announces it is closing a runway for maintenance.  Your plane just happens to be there 6 hours before your flight.  Instead of the hour long ground time they thought they would have, now they have to land 10 minutes later and will spend 68 minutes on the ground because of that maintenance being introduced by the airport four states away.  That one change ripples through the various flights your plane is scheduled to fly that day until it comes to your turn to get on that plane.

On any given plane there are passengers connecting to a myriad of destinations.  Every change has ripple effects for the daily life cycle of any plane and the hundreds of passenger connections each day.

Rest assured it's not some conspiracy or shenanigan focused at you.  If you fly enough you see this sort of thing all the time, some times providing a longer layover, some times making it shorter.