Cruising out of Ft Lauderdale

ang73

We've booked out 6th cruise on Independence of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale in 161 days!  Yay!!  

We've only ever cruised out of Port Canaveral before so I want to get some info ahead of time about Ft Lauderdale.  We're going to be in Daytona for a few days before the cruise staying with family, then driving down to Ft Lauderdale the day of the cruise.

When I google Ft Lauderdale cruise port, info about Port Everglades comes up and also about Miami.  I'm assuming its Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale but wondered if someone could tell me for sure.  Just want to make sure I'm checking out the correct port.

Thanks!

Yes, the name of the port in Ft Lauderdale is Port Everglades.

The port is mixed use for cargo, tankers and cruise ships.  Port Everglades is a major fuel port where fuel is offloaded from tanker ships and stored in tanks from where it is distributed throughout South Florida.  Because of this security is stepped up from other cruise ports where you can just drive to the terminal.  You'll need to stop at a a security check point, show ID and they'll likely ask to look in your trunk so be prepared to pop it open.  It's not a big deal but catches some people off guard.

The port area is pretty big with a number of terminals spread out.  They have overhead signs indicating which ship is using which terminal but there is also a Port Everglades app that can be used to learn which terminal you will be using.  There are a couple of different entrances and one has to cross train tracks that can be slow when a slow moving train is using the tracks.  

For clarification, the port in Miami is called the "Port of Miami" or POM and is located on Dodge Island.  Distinctly different than PEV or Port Everglades ~28 miles or so up the coast in between Hollywood, FL and Fort Lauderdale.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:51 PM, twangster said:

Yes, the name of the port in Ft Lauderdale is Port Everglades.

The port is mixed use for cargo, tankers and cruise ships.  Port Everglades is a major fuel port where fuel is offloaded from tanker ships and stored in tanks from it is distributed throughout South Florida.  Because of this security is stepped up from other cruise ports where you can just drive to the terminal.  You'll need to stop at a a security check point, show ID and they'll likely ask to look in your trunk so be prepared to pop it open.  It's not a big deal but catches some people off guard.

The port area is pretty big with a number of terminals spread out.  They have overhead signs indicating which ship is using which terminal but there is also a Port Everglades app that can be used to learn which terminal you will be using.  There are a couple of different entrances and one has to cross train tracks that can be slow when a slow moving train is using the tracks.  

For clarification, the port in Miami is called the "Port of Miami" or POM and is located on Dodge Island.  Distinctly different than PEV or Port Everglades ~28 miles or so up the coast in between Hollywood, FL and Fort Lauderdale.

Ohh I'm very happy I read this because this never would have occurred to me about a security checkpoint. As you said, it's not a big deal, but it definitely would have thrown me.