Celebrity Introduces the new terminal 25 at Port Everglades

twangster

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/1115/a-revolutionary-new-terminal-for-a-revolutionary-new-ship/

“When designing the revolutionary Celebrity Edge, we knew we wanted to design a terminal that perfectly complemented the ship and matched its one-of-a-kind experience,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. “With cutting-edge technology, in service of a gorgeous design, T25 is that perfect new home. T25 also happens to be Celebrity’s first ever brand-designed cruise terminal, which not only represents a milestone for Celebrity, but also presented us with the opportunity to set yet another standard in design and create the perfect guest experience.”

Looks nice..but when I am taking a cruise..I want to get out of the terminal and onto the ship. I don't need fancy elevators and lounges snd roof top terraces.

A lot of money spent for something really not needed or wanted imho.

All these things represent big $$ they are spending which in turn rises the cost of cruising with them.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Looks nice..but when I am taking a cruise..I want to get out of the terminal and onto the ship. I don't need fancy elevators and lounges snd roof top terraces.

A lot of money spent for something really not needed or wanted imho.

All these things represent big $$ they are spending which in turn rises the cost of cruising with them.

Port Everglades is paying for the terminal.  

Celebrity is an upscale cruise line.  The Edge is advancing that concept compared to the rest of the Celebrity fleet with more areas dedicated to higher prices suites.  A terminal that provides an enhanced boarding experience including more terminal space dedicated to suite guests seems to be appropriate.  It sets the tone for the overall cruise experience. 

While a plain white box building might be cheaper to build, over the life of a terminal building (30+ years) the incremental cost to make it much nicer and architecturally interesting isn't that much spread over its life span. 

If cheap is what cruising should be, there is always Carnival to satisfy that segment of the cruise industry.  

Oh...ok..if its a free terminal go ahead.......lol

Who is paying Port Everglades to build it?.....I am sure someone is on the hook for it. All this for Celebrity which represents less than 10% of the port traffic now...

I didn't say cruising needs to be  cheap, please don't assume/insinuate that I was suggesting that...what I did say is that for me I don't need or care how fancy a terminal is....for any kinda transportation really. The nicer it is the more it costs the bigger rip off it will lead to.

2 other things stand out.....this one will be done before Royals in Miami..and I hadn't even heard of this.

Also even though this is built for Celebrity and built/designed for Celebrity..other crusie lines will use it when Celerbty isn't....interesting.

I recall seeing the old buildings being demolished when I cruised Freedom and Indy out of Port Everglades last fall and winter.  It was first announced middle of last year:

http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/post/port-to-invest-100m-plus-to-renovate-cruise-terminal-25-as-part-of-new-royal-caribbean-agreement/

Like terminal 18 that OA class ships use, RCCL will have "preferential berthing rights" to terminal 25.

I wonder if Royal will continue to use terminal 29 which suffers from being farther down the ICW and that means typically having to wait for other cruise lines to depart first.  Last year we got delayed when a Sheriff's boat hit a Holland American ship at berth in front of us.  We couldn't leave until they did.  If Royal can stop using T29 and use T25 when Edge isn't there that puts them in front of other cruise lines.  

"Currently, Port Everglades welcomes on average approximately 335,000 Celebrity guests annually, representing about nine percent of its overall passenger traffic. Once the new cruise terminal is completed, it is anticipated that Celebrity will generate nearly 500,000 travelers at Port Everglades – representing no less than 14 percent of the port's projected passenger traffic."

Source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/a-revolutionary-new-terminal-for-a-revolutionary-new-ship-300669884.html

8 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Me either, but I also appreciate being able to spend time waiting to board in a building that doesn't look like a repurposed cargo warehouse (which terminal 29 totally comes of as). I'm hoping some of this new design rubs off on other terminal buildings in lower-scale / less opulent ways. I see it the same as airport terminals that are being redesigned not just with better seating and better options for dining and getting a beverage, but also with some slightly better design and decor.

All so you feel just a little bit less like you're no better than the cargo getting tossed onto the plane. ?

I for one will be be happy to have the port put 29 back in mothballs I have sailed from there several times very inconvenient as a port person related to me when I asked him a question he said I don't know we rarely use this terminal and then there is the parking there is none at the terminal must use the central parking which gets busy very busy when freedom or indie is there so yea please as long as it is more conveniant