Midnight Buffet

Paml514

Its been over 15 years since our last cruise and I realize alot has changed.  We are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas in August and  while I know there will be plenty of food,  I was curious to know if they still have the midnight buffet. Hoping someone can let m know...thanks!

Hi Pam,

We've been cruising with Royal since 2007 and have not been on any of their cruise ships that had a midnight buffet. Haven't been on the Harmony, yet, but I doubt if they have one. I'm sure some of the recent Harmony cruisers will chime in here. :27_sunglasses:

I was on the Harmony this past February, no "midnight buffet". However on the Mariner earlier this month and they did have "Late Night Snacks" in the Windjammer buffet from 10:30p-12:30p - consisting of burgers, fries, fried chicken, sides, some desserts. Only 1 small section...not the typical entire offering. I guess...YMMV or in this case, YSMV - your ship may vary.

Been a loooong time since we had a midnight buffet on a ship. I may have forgotten something but the midnight buffet warped into a chocolate buffet on one cruise and then kind of a late night roving waiters carrying trays of finger food. I’ve been on a couple of ships that set up late night buffets on the pool deck for special event party nights. 

IMHO --- I really don't see the need for one anymore since there are food places that are open past midnight ...... for example, Park Cafe.  To me, that IS my Midnight Buffet of Burgers, Wings & Pizza ...... Back in the day of just the MDR and the Windjammer, I totally understand why a midnight buffet would be a good thing, but with so many dining options today that go late into the night, not necessary.

20 hours ago, Paml514 said:

Thanks all. It was less about needing food, and more about another element that made cruising (ice sculptures, crazy desserts) a special experience. Was hoping to share it with my kids so glad I didn't "talk it up" to them.

A lot of the old school cruising activities are no longer used by RC, like the Midnight buffet.

The one and only Ice Sculpture I've seen on a cruise was on my first cruise on Majesty Of The Seas back in 2001.

The cruise experience now  is a little different from then, but even without those activities you will enjoy sharing the experience with your kids.

22 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

The cruise experience now  is a little different from then, but even without those activities you will enjoy sharing the experience with your kids.

Agreed.  Adjusted for inflation over the years cruising rates still make them a great way to vacation.

There are trends across many cruise lines and for the most part we see the same or similar changes being made across the industry. 

Also be aware there is a service fee for most room service orders now.  The menu is much better but there is a per-order service charge.  I can't fault them for this as I used to see gobs of wasted food lining the halls because, why not?, it's 'free'.  The small fee charged now makes people think twice about ordering room service and you don't see the waste you used to.   

23 hours ago, Paml514 said:

Thanks all. It was less about needing food, and more about another element that made cruising (ice sculptures, crazy desserts) a special experience. Was hoping to share it with my kids so glad I didn't "talk it up" to them.

You're going to find that ALOT has changed since you cruised last!!! A lot les pampering, a lot less included in the cruise experience and ALOT of extras to pay for if you want to enjoy them......

Not saying you wont enjoy it...but a lot has changed with the cruise industry in 15 years for sure. My first cruise was less than 10 years ago and a lot has changed even in that short time.