ROTS Shore excursions Alaska southbound

Dennis M

Prices are much higher than cruise planner in some cases, in some cases the same.

I don't see an excursion at Hubbard.  In the cruise planner for an August Southbound they are offering an excursion to get up close to the glacier on an excursion boat.     Presumably the tour boat picks up from the ship directly like a tender and brings you over to the glacier, very close to it.  

Did you see this on your cruise?

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Prices are much higher than cruise planner in some cases, in some cases the same.

I don't see an excursion at Hubbard.  In the cruise planner for an August Southbound they are offering an excursion to get up close to the glacier on an excursion boat.     Presumably the tour boat picks up from the ship directly like a tender and brings you over to the glacier, very close to it.  

Did you see this on your cruise?

The ship went to Hubbard, but there was no excursion from the ship to get closer. We were close and it was a nice day. I didn't see any tender type boats leave to get closer. Some crew went to pick up some ice. 

hub bay7.jpg

hub bay15.jpg

Edited by Dennis M
correct word

2 hours ago, twangster said:

That was my experience last year on Celebrity Southbound.  I'm hoping this excursion doesn't cancel:

AK Excursions copy.jpeg

Times match the ship arrival to Hubbard and I'd love to get up close like this.

This is not showing up on our cruise planner for our southbound sailing. Hopefully, it will.

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

I got the email today.  My Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Explorer excursion has been cancelled ?

@twangster OH bummer! I'm sorry that happened. Was it tendering from ROTS to the glacier?

Is that excursion listed as Day 2 on the cruise planner? I have no excursions offered for that day. 

1 minute ago, Baked Alaska said:

@twangster OH bummer! I'm sorry that happened. Was it tendering from ROTS to the glacier?

Is that excursion listed as Day 2 on the cruise planner? I have no excursions offered for that day. 

Correct.  Day 2 excursion that would have to tender given the location.  That is what made it unique for this itinerary.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Correct.  Day 2 excursion that would have to tender given the location.  That is what made it unique for this itinerary.  

Just checked my planner again. Not offered. What are you doing in Skagway? We're leaning towards either the canoe to Davidson Glacier or the Sawtooth Hike. Was interested in the 9 hour glacier hike, but not the 9 hours of it. ?

Just now, Baked Alaska said:

Just checked my planner again. Not offered. What are you doing in Skagway? We're leaning towards either the canoe to Davidson Glacier or the Sawtooth Hike. Was interested in the 9 hour glacier hike, but not the 9 hours of it. ?

My current plan is to walk through town and eventually to the Gold Rush Cemetery and Reid Falls. 

Depending on weather there are other trails in the area.  It's a National Park.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

I'm not booking an excursion this time.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

My current plan is to walk through town and eventually to the Gold Rush Cemetery and Reid Falls. 

Depending on weather there are other trails in the area.  It's a National Park.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

I'm not booking an excursion this time.  

And a great opportunity to get another stamp for the NPS passport!! Woot!

On 7/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, Dennis M said:

We were the only ship in at the Hubbard Glacier the day we were there and stayed there for at least a couple of hours maybe longer. I heard that we had gotten closer that day than the captain had ever been.

We had a unique Hubbard Glacier experience in 2001. We were on the Radiance for inside passage and Hubbard Glacier and B2B 2 night to Victoria. Yes, we were in Skagway on 9/11. Very strange to be on the ship, far from home and basically no one could get off or on because no planes were flying. Anyway back to Hubbard, the captain seemed to shut down all the engines and we stayed there for a long time as we had “a moment of silence “ in the absolute quiet and solitude and majesty of the glacier. The only sound was glaciers calving. It was like being in the most holy cathedral on earth. 

14 hours ago, Mljstr said:

We had a unique Hubbard Glacier experience in 2001. We were on the Radiance for inside passage and Hubbard Glacier and B2B 2 night to Victoria. Yes, we were in Skagway on 9/11. Very strange to be on the ship, far from home and basically no one could get off or on because no planes were flying. Anyway back to Hubbard, the captain seemed to shut down all the engines and we stayed there for a long time as we had “a moment of silence “ in the absolute quiet and solitude and majesty of the glacier. The only sound was glaciers calving. It was like being in the most holy cathedral on earth. 

Yes, not to hijack the thread, but 9/11 was a most harrowing day. I watched tower 2 collapse from my office window. Certainly, I was luckier than a lot of other people. We still pray for the victims and their families.