Coastal Kitchen

mworkman

1 hour ago, bellemiche said:

We were in a junior suite two weeks ago on the Allure. We had to make our reservations once we were onboard. The first night we just showed up to eat, and then made our reservations for the remaining nights. 

JS rooms can't pre-book CK, except on (allegedly) Anthem. I say "(allegedly)" because so far, I've had CK show up twice with my JS booking in the cruise planner, and neither time have I been able to make my reservations. I can select the people, but then when I'm supposed to select the time the system says it's "not available at this time slot".

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

I can see it now, but just can't get in ?...Maybe i'm not knocking hard enough.. ? Hopefully as the dates get closer, i can book something. We're at 180 days out now for this cruise.

Coastal Kitchen.png

I'l do you one better, @mworkman. I didn't realize that "select all at once" option was even there, just chose it and selected my wife and I, and then went to see what showed for Night 1, Night 2, etc.... and every dining option, paid or not, says "no reservations are available for this restaurant within this meal period" for every single night! ?

We sailed on the Oasis last month and went to the CK about 2pm on the first day to get reservations.  We put in a request for 6 every night and got it.  Since we stayed in a loft suite for the first time,  Rm 1756,  we were a hop, skip and a jump from the front door of the CK.  This was good and bad.  The good part was we obviously didnt have far to walk.  The bad part was by about the 3rd night we didnt walk but did a waddle (is that a real word?) to the dining room.  Do to some show times we showed up at 5:30 and were seated right away.  We were able to get a window seat just about every time and depending on the direction of the ship whether the big blister in the sky was shining in your face.  It seemed like there was always some part of the CK that had the blinds down to block the sun.  Maybe a later seating time you wouldn't have to fight the sun.   I'm not sure the food was any better than the MDR but it was a different selection.  They still had lobster night which I took advantage of.

• 1 month later...

We're going to be in a Junior Suite on the Symphony of the Seas in May. I understand that, once on the ship, we can request a reservation for the Coastal Kitchen for dinner. Here are my questions: What makes the Coastal Kitchen so desirable? Is there an extra charge for eating there? Thanks!

@kontraxed, your understanding is correct -- since you have a JS booking, you can only make your reservations once on board, and then only if there is actually anything available on the day you want to dine there. The "full suite" (Grand Suite and above) guests all have the ability to make their reservations for CK online, through the Cruise Planner, ahead of sail date; as such, there's a chance (albeit small) that CK could be booked solid on the night(s) you want to dine there.

In addition, JS guests can only dine in CK for dinner; "full suite" guests can eat in CK for all meals if they want.

23 minutes ago, kontraxed said:

What makes the Coastal Kitchen so desirable? Is there an extra charge for eating there?

There is no extra charge to dine at CK, and the restaurant is for suite guests only. It's basically a specialty dining restaurant exclusive to suite guests, as an included perk of having booked a suite.

The menu is by all accounts a lot better than the main dining room, with the food quality and service described as at the level of any of the paid specialty dining venues. So as long as you like cali-med fusion style cuisine, its a nice bonus for having spent the extra money to live the "suite life".

I'm hoping to try it for the first time on my upcoming October sailing on Anthem, as I'm also in a JS. Will be sure to note my impressions of it when I post my live blog for the sailing!

The menu in CK is comparable to the specialty restaurants on board. The quality and presentation of the food is far greater than MDR and because they have their own kitchen and cook by order, your food is more fresh. Like @JLMoran stated already, the menu is better as well as far as food choices go. For an idea of what you can expect, check out blogs by myself or @bellemiche. We have menus posted from CK and food pics. The menu is pretty standard across the fleet now. 

The other benefits of CK, especially on ships Iike Symphony, is the spectacular view. You cannot beat the view while dining up on Deck 17. Simply beautiful. And also because CK is a smaller venue, the service is also better, from what I have experienced. 

If you have access to it, take advantage of it. Don't let the opportunity go to waste. 

Here are links to live blogs with CK menus and food pics:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/8867-oasis-of-the-seas-july-29-august-5/

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5780-anthem-of-the-seas-march-9-17-2018/