Med. Symphony B2B - July 24th to August 12th

CraftyCat05

8 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

Glad you enjoyed it!

I thought it was great! The crowd was really high energy, definitely more so than the balloon party last week, but different kinds things huh? I think it definitely appeals to the younger generation, saw lots of kids/teens and young adults dancing and knowing the music more than other themed party nights. The cruise director staff really makes or breaks it, and the staff on this cruise definitely made it. 

Thought it was definitely more elaborate than the other years themed nights, with the other stage, (don’t remember that on Allure, but was probably there) and the car thing. 

What did you think when you saw it a few weeks back? Same thoughts or different.

Now, if you have no idea what me and Joe are talking about, watch the party replays on my periscope! @CraftyCat05 

Also did some sail always recently, go check them out!

I wasn't alive in the 80's and also knew most of the songs. It is a good balance as it is 'hip' and high-energy enough for a young demographic, but equally retro enough for a middle aged demographic. Maybe not for the oldies though. 

Definitely had a lot of production. The cameos from PacMan alongside the number from the Hairspray professional dancers (who are insanely talented) just add that little bit extra. The Staff certainly did a great job getting people involved and it seemed the same on your scope. Some guests were shy and didn't dance on my cruise. More active on the 2nd than 1st week. Overall, it is a job well done. I just worry that this party won't be good when Michele is replaced in Sept (won't say any more to avoid going off-topic).

On AL, it was the 70's. Great show but time to do something else. I think the 80's is a good replacement. I liked the 90's on HM as well, but some curmudgeons made complaints when she arrived in the USA so they didn't transfer it to other ships. It didn't have as much production, but the idea and songs were there.

@CraftyCat05--great job with the blog and scoping--thanks and happy you are feeling better, Carson.

Question for you and/or @Joe01 : When on Adventure of the Seas the 70's Show was presented from a bridge that spans the width of the Royal Promenade. As crowded as it was, everyone could see (although you had to look up). It did not appear that Symphony has a bridge like that (or the show wasn't done from there if there is one). How high was the stage---you obviously had a decent viewpoint, but was it really possible for everyone to see? How long before the show did you get there to secure your spot? Curious minds want to know!

3 minutes ago, Skid said:

@CraftyCat05Question for you and/or @Joe01 : When on Adventure of the Seas the 70's Show was presented from bridge that spans the width of the Royal Promenade. As crowded as it was, everyone could see (although you had to look up). It did not appear that Symphony has a bridge like that (or the show wasn't done from there if there is one). How high was the stage---you obviously had a decent viewpoint, but was it really possible for everyone to see? How long before the show did you get there to secure your spot? Curious minds want to know!

Oasis Class don't have the same Promenade design as Adventure as it is nearly twice as wide. Oasis and Allure have a bridge which is usually folded up but comes out for 70's night (doesn't span the width though) however HM & SY don't. They put a stage (about 2ft high, just enough to see the performers from a distance) in the middle of the Promenade between the handbags store and Cafe Promenade alongside using the stage directly above the Royal Caribbean merchandise store. 

Not everyone will be able to see, but if you are in the Aft half of the Promenade, you should see. The stage above the merchandise store is angled appropriately that you can see what is happening. I got there early, but I think you can stroll in just as it begins. Busy but still plenty of space.

11 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Oasis and Allure have a bridge which is usually folded up but comes out for 70's night (doesn't span the width though) however HM & SY don't. 

Just realized that there isn't that bridge anymore... That was a nice addition in the 70s, because I felt the higher stage on top of the shop (?) could be hard to see when you are in the back of the party.

11 hours ago, Skid said:

How long before the show did you get there to secure your spot?

To get my first vantage point that was ok looking at the main stage was just a little pushing, but couldn't get to where I was for the second scope. They did a long train conga line that took out most of the people around that lower floor stage, which I took advantage of. That took about 15 minutes to get to and stayed there for the rest of the party.

Also, happy 6th page of the blog lol.

Marseille Highlight

We stayed on the ship and just enjoyed the many features and activities SY offers. 

First was sleeping in! Had to get up early yesterday, so nice to just sleep. Once up, we all went to Coastal Kitchen for the beloved Baja Eggs, which is southern scrambled eggs with salsa, tomatoes, avocado, and peppers. Got three of those! Food was good as always, made to order and fresh ingredients. 

We then went to trivia... with Jamsey! The most flamboyant trivia host. It was animated Disney trivia, and we won with a whopping eight points! We got some Royal Caribbean keychains and a Symphony Inaugural luggage tag. We only were against one other group, and they only got four points. Were better! (still boasting about our win after our horrible trivia games last week)

We then enjoyed the suite only sun deck and the water slides. I especially enjoyed those. The blue was definitely the most thrilling, but the green one comes in a close second. Yellow one is ok, and can do if you want a shorter line. Also went into the beach pool for a little bit to cool off from the hot French sun! 

After some pool time, we relaxed a bit more and then got cleaned up to go to the suite sail away party on the helipad! I did a periscope of some of it if you are interested on what it is; but be warned! It was very windy in the front so it may sound pretty bad. @CraftyCat05 for Periscope

We then rushed to a complimentary dinner at Jamie's Italian, paid for by Gianluca (pronounced John Luca) for having to miss the complimentary lunch at Jamie's for consecutive cruisers. Sagrada Familla was more important than free lunch that day! 

The food was good, and in my opinion better than what I had last week when we went to Jamie's. I got the Tagliatelle Bolognese for my main, and it was good! Got the Tiramisu for dessert, and was pretty liquidy, which I don't really like in my desserts. Also got the rice ball things that I forget the name of to start, and they were to die for. Definitely would recommend Jamie's, especially if the dinner is free ?

After that was seeing 1977 again: you can see my review of it from last week.

Then was the 80s party! I talked about it with Joe, and gave my review in that post with him. You can also view it on my periscope.

These definitely are much easier to write. Hope you enjoyed!

Chao Chao!

6 hours ago, CraftyCat05 said:

Wow, you guys are right, doing a blog about the trip certainly does have its perks! I’ve been invited today (sea day) to go up to the navigation bridge for a tour and for pictures! Except a full post about that and the people that made this happen!

OK @Matt...that's it!  I'm putting up my Royal Caribbean Blog magnet next cruise.  Enough of this incognito stuff!  Hubby always says it is a more true experience to see what service is like even if they don't know you're blogging but I want some freebies ?

Hopefully, it doesn't get stolen lol......

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

OK @Matt...that's it!  I'm putting up my Royal Caribbean Blog magnet next cruise.  Enough of this incognito stuff!  Hubby always says it is a more true experience to see what service is like even if they don't know you're blogging but I want some freebies ?

Hopefully, it doesn't get stolen lol......

How does one go about getting a Royal Caribbean Blog magnet?  Do I have to ask Kat to make me one?  Or am I too low of an Insider? 

15 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Hope you are having a safe journey home and the PCD isn't too bad.

PCD is fine atm, but this journey has been a crapper. I’m currently updating you from Charlotte, and not home. The flight to CLT got in the air on time, but had to divert back to Barcelona 1 hr in right as we were about to hit open water (not literally ?) because a mechanical issue wouldn’t allow us to fly over the pond. We went back, got the ok from maintenance to fly, and then got back into the air after about 1 hour and 30 minutes on the ground. We of course missed our connection, and the rebooking and hotel situation was a  n i g h t m a r e. Line for passport control was long as all of the long haul international was arriving around then. We then went though the mess of a system and line to get rebooked and get a hotel for the night. That took 1:30. We then waited for the hotel shuttle for 45 minutes - 1 hour before saying screw it and just got a cab because it was midnight. We then checked in to what looked like to be a ok hotel to stay in for the night, but boy was I wrong.

While the room itself was fine, it didn’t look like it had been even half cleaned: no vacuum, old towels still in the bathroom, sheets didn’t looked changed in ages, etc. The hotel was built in the 70s it looks, and I don’t think the bathroom has ever been refurbished since then. It had mold and hair in the corner, the tub had black marks on it, the grout in the tub/shower area was all yellow, and the door doesn’t even properly lock! While that isn’t a major problem, it surely is a problem. The sheets and towels look like they haven’t been thrown away and renewed since the 70s either. 

I honestly wouldn’t even want a homeless person staying here, it’s that bad. I honestly thought about moving to another hotel close to the airport, but it was 1am and just wasn’t going to be worth it. 

This hotel operator should be ashamed of they call a hotel. Wyndham (it’s a Ramada) should bulldoze this place and put a actually not crap hotel brand on this actually sizable plot of land. I have never stayed in something so bad, that the hotel might actually be a health hazard. This is definitely a major downgrade from suite 7254.

In other fun, my hotel is right next door to a strip club and is located in a really sketchy part of town. Thank god this room door locks, but I bet you could kick it down if you tried. 

What’s been your worst accommodation you’ve ever stayed in? 

I also plan to periscope this room later when it’s a reasonable time.

Chao Chao for now.

8 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

PCD is fine atm, but this journey has been a crapper. I’m currently updating you from Charlotte, and not home. The flight to CLT got in the air on time, but had to divert back to Barcelona 1 hr in right as we were about to hit open water (not literally ?) because a mechanical issue wouldn’t allow us to fly over the pond. We went back, got the ok from maintenance to fly, and then got back into the air after about 1 hour and 30 minutes on the ground. We of course missed our connection, and the rebooking and hotel situation was a  n i g h t m a r e. Line for passport control was long as all of the long haul international was arriving around then. We then went though the mess of a system and line to get rebooked and get a hotel for the night. That took 1:30. We then waited for the hotel shuttle for 45 minutes - 1 hour before saying screw it and just got a cab because it was midnight. We then checked in to what looked like to be a ok hotel to stay in for the night, but boy was I wrong.

While the room itself was fine, it didn’t look like it had been even half cleaned: no vacuum, old towels still in the bathroom, sheets didn’t looked changed in ages, etc. The hotel was built in the 70s it looks, and I don’t think the bathroom has ever been refurbished since then. It had mold and hair in the corner, the tub had black marks on it, the grout in the tub/shower area was all yellow, and the door doesn’t even properly lock! While that isn’t a major problem, it surely is a problem. The sheets and towels look like they haven’t been thrown away and renewed since the 70s either. 

I honestly wouldn’t even want a homeless person staying here, it’s that bad. I honestly thought about moving to another hotel close to the airport, but it was 1am and just wasn’t going to be worth it. 

This hotel operator should be ashamed of they call a hotel. Wyndham (it’s a Ramada) should bulldoze this place and put a actually not crap hotel brand on this actually sizable plot of land. I have never stayed in something so bad, that the hotel might actually be a health hazard. This is definitely a major downgrade from suite 7254.

In other fun, my hotel is right next door to a strip club and is located in a really sketchy part of town. Thank god this room door locks, but I bet you could kick it down if you tried. 

What’s been your worst accommodation you’ve ever stayed in? 

I also plan to periscope this room later when it’s a reasonable time.

Chao Chao for now.

Have you spoken to anyone about that hotel? If it's a safety hazard, then they need to know ASAP. 

To answer your question, I've never stayed at somewhere as filthy as that place, but my worst was the Hilton in Dundee because I slept on the floor.

Sorry about the flight delays (we had a 5 hour delay 2 years ago), but fingers crossed you get home soon!

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Have you spoken to anyone about that hotel? If it's a safety hazard, then they need to know ASAP. 

To answer your question, I've never stayed at somewhere as filthy as that place, but my worst was the Hilton in Dundee because I slept on the floor.

Sorry about the flight delays (we had a 5 hour delay 2 years ago), but fingers crossed you get home soon!

There are some things that are really gross, but it’s not a full on health hazard, just feels like it. I don’t see any black mold, just lots of mildew and stains.

Floor? That’s bad. I may have done that because of the sheets, but the carpet is worse, so I just ruffed it out. 

5 hours?!?! That’s horrible. I had a 2 hour delay one time, and I thought that was bad. 

Thanks for the wishes!

• 9 months later...
On 8/7/2018 at 6:56 PM, Joe01 said:

Oasis Class don't have the same Promenade design as Adventure as it is nearly twice as wide. Oasis and Allure have a bridge which is usually folded up but comes out for 70's night (doesn't span the width though) however HM & SY don't. They put a stage (about 2ft high, just enough to see the performers from a distance) in the middle of the Promenade between the handbags store and Cafe Promenade alongside using the stage directly above the Royal Caribbean merchandise store. 

Not everyone will be able to see, but if you are in the Aft half of the Promenade, you should see. The stage above the merchandise store is angled appropriately that you can see what is happening. I got there early, but I think you can stroll in just as it begins. Busy but still plenty of space.

Tip from our cruise on Symphony last week....We went to the Schooner Bar on Deck 6 (Promenade is on Deck 5) about an hour before the 80's party and got a small table and seats directly overlooking the stage. It was perfect.

image.thumb.jpeg.ce7179f7e351a298c68efafe096ab4c9.jpeg

Just now, Skid said:

Tip from our cruise on Symphony last week....We went to the Schooner Bar on Deck 6 (Promenade is on Deck 5) about an hour before the 80's party and got a small table and seats directly overlooking the stage. It was perfect.

image.thumb.jpeg.ce7179f7e351a298c68efafe096ab4c9.jpeg

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good place to watch the party. How did you find the 80's night on your cruise?

Just now, Joe01 said:

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good place to watch the party. How did you find the 80's night on your cruise?

Staff had a lot of energy. It was a good show. The blond girl in the white jacket (blurry) is Katy the AM. She did a great job. It was fun for all. I must say, though, that between the bridge over the promenade and the spectacular entertainment staff, we did enjoy the 70's show on Adventure more.