Tips for Maya Cay and Belize City Tour

mobrien331

I am going on my first cruise next week on the Liberty of the Seas, going to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. In Roatan, I reserved a shore excursion to Maya Cay for myself and my 8 year old son. In Belize City, we will be doing the two hour bus tour with my husband and both sons (ages 8 and almost 3). I would like to hear from anyone who has taken these excursions to share your experiences and what I should expect. Thank you.

Are these tours through RC or on your own?

The key thing to be aware of with Belize is it is a tender port, and the tender rides tend to take a long time due to the distance you anchor off shore. If you book the excursion with RC, you will be fine with the tenders since they will prioritize you.

If you booked the tour on your own, you will need to hustle if you have to be somewhere by a certain time.

Several years back  my wife and I did the Belize bus tour (our first cruise as well)  and really enjoyed it.   At the time it was a bus tour and rum tasting but by the looks of it they've split that excursion into a few separate tours now.   That being said,  we really  enjoyed the tour through town.   The guide on the bus was very informative keeping things interesting along with being very funny also.   It was  interesting to hear about the history as we rode through town.    All things being said, I don't honestly know how much your kids would get out of it though.     At that age, they may enjoy the shorter 1 hour Calypso train tour through town more.   The fun of riding on a "train" and with it being shorter,  would be apt to hold their attention better possibly.    

Thanks. I thought about the Calypso tour, but thought I would get more out of this one. The one downside on this one is that we have to dress more conservative (I think there is a church tour that is part of this). My older son might be a little bored, but he is pretty laid back, and is a bit excited that by the end of the trip, he will have gone to more foreign countries than his uncle. I have been checking the weather reports and thunderstorms are predicted for the day we are supposed to be there, so if the weather is bad, I'm not sure if we will be able to have the tour.