Cococay in March

CocoCay up to today has used just one end of the island.  The middle of the island and the majority of it is service area or unused.  Looking at the plans, much of the the existing CocoCay guest areas will remain the same, even long term. 

The Perfect Day expansion takes place on mostly unused areas of the island except where old meets new.

Eventually they will need to blend the old and the new.  For example, years from now it will have a large beach area for guests that just want to lay by the ocean.  That will remain the existing beach area.  

I expect what will happen with existing cabanas is that they will remain where they are.  New overwater cabanas will be built along the unused shore North of the new pier.  Once those cabanas are ready and taking guests they might do something with the existing cabanas or they might not.  I do not see them eliminating existing cabanas before new cabanas are available. 

As you know Royal follows the money and they won't do anything to kill a revenue source with nothing else to replace that money.

If new features are ready, you bet they'll make them available to book such as the balloon.  I expect the existing beach and snorkel area will largely remain the same, even in the long term.  

Once upon a time Labadee didn't have a pier and it has morphed over the years.  CocoCay will evolve as well.  

10 hours ago, alamode123 said:

Thanks. As I've never been there, I had no idea what to expect. So with the cabanas, we get a private place to eat or something? they were only $30 more than the bungalows, so I figured why not.

Here's a spotlight feature by @Matt on the cabanas as they are right now. Not sure how perfect day will change that.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/08/21/spotted-waterfront-cabanas-cococay

11 hours ago, alamode123 said:

Thanks. As I've never been there, I had no idea what to expect. So with the cabanas, we get a private place to eat or something? they were only $30 more than the bungalows, so I figured why not.

There is an attendant that will call for a trolley (golf cart) to bring you to the outdoor bbq.

13 hours ago, alamode123 said:

So with the cabanas, we get a private place to eat or something? they were only $30 more than the bungalows, so I figured why not.

1 hour ago, jurrjurr said:

There is an attendant that will call for a trolley (golf cart) to bring you to the outdoor bbq.

This. And, don't feel obliged to eat at the actual bbq place; when we had our cabana in Labadee, we asked the cart driver if he could stay close by and take us back to the cabana with our food, and he said no problem. It was a bit of a sight, as we all had two plates (one with burgers / salads / sides, other with dessert item), and we're trying to keep things from falling or spilling as the golf cart bounced a bit along the trails. But totally worth it, especially when we got back and were able to ask our attendant for another round of cokes and Labadoozies!

I bet being able to do that will help with your twin 15-year-olds, too! A little pampering can go a heck of a long way!

16 hours ago, alamode123 said:

The dock will be ready by then and the helium balloon. What's going on with cabanas (I rented one) and other amenities? Won't half the place be off limits due to construction?

Keep in mind that's an estimate and if the dock is any indication, those guestimates of when things will be ready is subject to change.  It is really hard to know at this time what will and what will not be open on your cruise.  I'd keep your expectations low, for now.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Keep in mind that's an estimate and if the dock is any indication, those guestimates of when things will be ready is subject to change.  It is really hard to know at this time what will and what will not be open on your cruise.  I'd keep your expectations low, for now.

Expecting anything on time in the Caribbean is a silly thing to do.