Water, Tea availability not at a meal

Leigh

It's been 18 years since I have been on a cruise and we have just booked on the Adventure.  Can you take basic included beverages from the windjammer to your room or around the ship?  My husband can't seem to not have a plastic glass or bottle of water with him every moment of the day.  Seems we used to go to the windjammer and get a glass of tea or water and have it.  

Thanks.

The Windjammer isn't open 24 hours, but Cafe Promenade is.  They offer complimentary water, coffee, tea, hot cocoa and snacks.  The beverages are all self serve, so your hubby can grab a new glass every time he walks by.  We were on Adventure in May, and did notice that in the late night hours the availability of drinks was limited.  For example, only one dispenser of water, coffee and often there was no decaf (which is what we wanted at 1am).

13 minutes ago, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

... and often there was no decaf (which is what we wanted at 1am).

It drives me crazy when I go into a convenience store at night and there isn't any decaf. I do understand the importance of caffeine for those who need to stay awake. But is there really a bigger market for decaf at 9 AM than at 9 PM?

(sorry for the rant, but its one of my pet peeves)

4 hours ago, Keeves said:

It drives me crazy when I go into a convenience store at night and there isn't any decaf. I do understand the importance of caffeine for those who need to stay awake. But is there really a bigger market for decaf at 9 AM than at 9 PM?

(sorry for the rant, but its one of my pet peeves)

Drives my husband nuts that he can't get decaf easily at night. It's normal to have to wait for a pour over in every coffee shop.  Really??? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

The Windjammer isn't open 24 hours, but Cafe Promenade is.  They offer complimentary water, coffee, tea, hot cocoa and snacks.  The beverages are all self serve, so your hubby can grab a new glass every time he walks by.  We were on Adventure in May, and did notice that in the late night hours the availability of drinks was limited.  For example, only one dispenser of water, coffee and often there was no decaf (which is what we wanted at 1am).

Can and should I bring my own reusable water bottles to fill up on water at the windjammer?

You don't have to, but you certainly can.  You have to use a cup to fill it though, as you can't put the water bottle directly under the spout.  We never seemed to have a problem with having enough water at night; we'd stop at Cafe Promenade on the way back to the room, each fill up a glass, and take it back with us. That was enough to last us till morning. But if you need a lot to drink over the late night, you certainly can bring something.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:36 PM, New to Cruising Brandi said:

Can and should I bring my own reusable water bottles to fill up on water at the windjammer?

If I'm not on the drink package, I will bring my own reusable water bottle.  Like @KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said you just need to use a clean cup to fill it up.  There are water stations at the pool bar and cafe promenade that I've used in addition to windjammer.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Stephanie said:

FYI - the water / drink stations have signs posted asking you not to use your own refillable bottles for sanitary purposes.  Which, quite frankly, makes zero sense to me since the drink package gives you a refillable bottle that you are required to use.  ?

The drink package cup supplied is designed to be used in Freestyle drink dispensers that require no contact between cup and machine, or by handing it to a bar tender who knows not to touch your cup against bar equipment.  If you use the supplied drink package cup at a water station, the same rule applies since it is your own personal cup at that point.  

It's modeled after a common public health department requirement, much like using a new plate every time you visit a buffet.  It prevent the transfer of germs from a used glass onto the equipment.  The water stations tend to require you push a glass against the machine to dispense water or ice.  

It always irks me when I see people violating this rule.  Like people not washing their hands in a bathroom or dropping buffet utensil handles directly into the food.  Nice way to contaminate the whole dish.  

19 hours ago, twangster said:

It always irks me when I see people violating this rule.  Like people not washing their hands in a bathroom or dropping buffet utensil handles directly into the food.  Nice way to contaminate the whole dish.  

wait what?   we're supposed to wash our hands after using the toilet??    ?   totally agree on all accounts.       Drink package cup is for freestyle only.      anything else is just ewwwwww

On 8/28/2018 at 1:44 PM, twangster said:

The drink package cup supplied is designed to be used in Freestyle drink dispensers that require no contact between cup and machine, or by handing it to a bar tender who knows not to touch your cup against bar equipment.  If you use the supplied drink package cup at a water station, the same rule applies since it is your own personal cup at that point.  

It's modeled after a common public health department requirement, much like using a new plate every time you visit a buffet.  It prevent the transfer of germs from a used glass onto the equipment.  The water stations tend to require you push a glass against the machine to dispense water or ice.  

@twangster, I totally get that.  I'm actually a total germ-a-phobe and love the hand washing stations & all the hand sanitizers everywhere.  It's just that I'm a water-only drinker (besides alcohol). 

I just wish I could fill my own water bottle up b/c I don't mind the tap water & definitely don't enjoy paying $2 / bottle for bottled water. 

Having said that - I actually did not know how the freestyle cups work since I have never bought the drink package since I don't drink soda.  I will no longer be annoyed by the rule. ?

It has always annoyed me when I am at a buffet and the staff tries to take my empty plate, forcing me to get a new one for more food. I've always felt it to be a waste of dishwashing resources, not to mention pretentious. (Dahling, we're not the kind of people who use dirty plates. / But it's MY dirty plate!) And this is especially annoying when they start to run out of clean plates.

I consider myself fairly health-conscious, but it never dawned on me that this is required by health regulations. And now that you've educated me, I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself. Thanks!!

5 hours ago, Stephanie said:

@twangster, I totally get that.  I'm actually a total germ-a-phobe and love the hand washing stations & all the hand sanitizers everywhere.  It's just that I'm a water-only drinker (besides alcohol). 

I just wish I could fill my own water bottle up b/c I don't mind the tap water & definitely don't enjoy paying $2 / bottle for bottled water. 

Having said that - I actually did not know how the freestyle cups work since I have never bought the drink package since I don't drink soda.  I will no longer be annoyed by the rule. ?

No worries, I drink the water station water a lot on cruises.  It's pretty easy to use one of their clean glasses to fill my personal water bottle, staff have never said anything or complained about dealing with my shortly used glass.

4 hours ago, Keeves said:

It has always annoyed me when I am at a buffet and the staff tries to take my empty plate, forcing me to get a new one for more food. I've always felt it to be a waste of dishwashing resources, not to mention pretentious. (Dahling, we're not the kind of people who use dirty plates. / But it's MY dirty plate!) And this is especially annoying when they start to run out of clean plates.

I consider myself fairly health-conscious, but it never dawned on me that this is required by health regulations. And now that you've educated me, I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself. Thanks!!

On a kitchen tour the chef once said "Do you know why we are so careful with food preparation?"  After a few dumb guesses on our part he replied... "Because there are over 5,000 guests and crew on board but the medical center downstairs only has four beds".

On a serious note, things like noro are a thing because of guests, not because of the ship.  While not washing as many plates would save money, it's not worth the cost of sick guests.  

Wash your hands, it's easy to do, you only have two...