Who else gets Post Cruise Depression?

Joe01

Am I the only person who suffers from PCD? It seems to be hitting me worse this year and I've only been back in Scotland for 3 days. 

It's more frustrating since I have no idea when I will next set sail on a Royal ship. I'm lucky that I get to go each year, but equally jealous of those here who can cruise several times a year. 

Any tips for curing it? :4_joy:

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I always make sure I have the next one to look forward to and start researching for it. 

That's probably what makes it worse for me this year. I've had an idea of what I've wanted to do for the past few years (and did end up doing them), not a clue for next year. If only Navigator, Independence and Mariner did better itineraries...

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

That's probably what makes it worse for me this year. I've had an idea of what I've wanted to do for the past few years (and did end up doing them), not a clue for next year. If only Navigator, Independence and Mariner did better itineraries...

Some of us accept an imperfect cruise whether it be ship, itinerary, time of year or crew. 

I'd rather be on a cruise that isn't perfect than to be at home in my far from perfect home office.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some of us accept an imperfect cruise weather it be ship, itinerary, time of year or crew. 

I'd rather be on a cruise that isn't perfect than to be at home in my far from perfect home office.

Coming from the UK, 3/4 nighters won't work. I would be happy to do Independence from Southampton, but try and convince my group.

I'm also unhappy that they pulled Nav from the UK when they decide to refurb her, and replace her with Explorer, who will also be in need of a refurb. Nav and Mariner have been on the 'to-sail' list for a while, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Just now, Joe01 said:

Coming from the UK, 3/4 nighters won't work. I would be happy to do Independence from Southampton, but try and convince my group.

Exactly why I do B2B or S2S.  I have 4-5 hours of flight time to reach Florida.  Granted that is less that from the UK but airfare isn't so cheap domestically within the US either.

In September I'm sailing 3 ships that are all short cruises but leaving from different Florida ports right after one another.  Coming off Symphony TA I'm sliding over to Serenade since I'll "be in the neighborhood".  In December it's a Brilliance B2B with a slice Navigator for dessert.  In January a shorty on Indy before returning to Brilliance for the 2019 SuperBowl Group Cruise.

If I'm ponying up for airfare, I might as well find another ship to cruise on before flying home.

I'm curious.  What does you group dislike about Southampton?  The itinerary or the embarkation port?

Easy solution though, cruise solo.  It's easier to satisfy a party of one ? 

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Exactly why I do B2B or S2S.  I have 4-5 hours of flight time to reach Florida.  Granted that is less that from the UK but airfare isn't so cheap domestically within the US either.

In September I'm sailing 3 ships that are all short cruises but leaving from different Florida ports right after one another.  Coming off Symphony TA I'm sliding over to Serenade since I'll "be in the neighborhood".  In December it's a Brilliance B2B with a slice Navigator for dessert.  In January a shorty on Indy before returning to Brilliance for the 2019 SuperBowl Group Cruise.

If I'm ponying up for airfare, I might as well find another ship to cruise on before flying home.

I'm curious.  What does you group dislike about Southampton?  The itinerary or the embarkation port?

Easy solution though, cruise solo.  It's easier to satisfy a party of one ? 

For Southampton - it's the demographic. They feel it is full of tacky Brits or 'chavs' as Brits would call them. I don't mind it personally, but they seemed to hate it and to my dismay, never shut their mouths about it when given the opportunity. I plan to cruise solo in 2020 and will hopefully get back to my first love Indy then, but we have a special celebration in 2019 so I'm stuck with them again for next year.

I did B2B on Harmony and Symphony, but those were 14 nights in total. I don't want to do 3 turnaround days to get 2 weeks (which is what I say is needed to justify flying to Florida from Scotland). 1 was enough on HM & SY.

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Scotland

Perhaps this is the cause for your depression? :3_grin: Just kidding....

I agree with Twangster's and  Lovetocruise's comments above. Here's a cool website that I find very consoling, read about it on this message board: http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can view other ports that Royal visits. If you have an ad-blocker be sure to disable it for the different ports you view otherwise you will be blocked. I find watching Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) on Sunday afternoon very entertaining. Click on the microphone and VHF tabs at the top and listen to what's going on. Be sure to check out Juneau, Alaska. The topography is incredible! About half way down click the "Show maritime traffic map & twitter feed". There you will see the port, ships and port area. Below the map click the "Expand map & hide twitter feed" to get rid of the crap on the right side of the map. Enjoy, hope this helps you with your PCD! :27_sunglasses:

Just now, rjac said:

Perhaps this is the cause for your depression? :3_grin: Just kidding....

I agree with Twangster's and  Lovetocruise's comments above. Here's a cool website that I find very consoling, read about it on this message board: http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can view other ports that Royal visits. If you have an ad-blocker be sure to disable it for the different ports you view otherwise you will be blocked. I find watching Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) on Sunday afternoon very entertaining. Click on the microphone and VHF tabs at the top and listen to what's going on. Be sure to check out Juneau, Alaska. The topography is incredible! About half way down click the "Show maritime traffic map & twitter feed". There you will see the port, ships and port area. Below the map click the "Expand map & hide twitter feed" to get rid of the crap on the right side of the map. Enjoy, hope this helps you with your PCD! :27_sunglasses:

TBH, you are probably right regarding Scotland!

Thanks for the link.

3 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I guess planning my next cruise is the best cure? There is just no Royal offering for July 2019 that works.

I know I am repeating myself but I'm going to say it one more time...look into the Seaside/Seaview. Reviews have improved significantly since they first sailed, they cater to Europeans, they are most like OA class ships.

Like @twangster said, a cruise does not have to be perfect. Most are better than sitting at home. I love Royal but I am sailing the Seaside in 3 days because we were in the exact same situation for this July. With Symphony still in Europe, there was not a RC ship that appealed to us.  Sometimes you have to broaden your horizons and let go of some hang ups and you might be pleasantly surprised. ?

4 hours ago, twangster said:

In September I'm sailing 3 ships that are all short cruises but leaving from different Florida ports right after one another.  Coming off Symphony TA I'm sliding over to Serenade since I'll "be in the neighborhood".  

You're getting on the Serenade the day I'm getting off!  I'm bringing her down to you from Boston on the repo.  Port meet-up!!! Our flight isn't until 1 - we can do this! 

1 minute ago, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

You're getting on the Serenade the day I'm getting off!  I'm bringing her down to you from Boston on the repo.  Port meet-up!!! Our flight isn't until 1 - we can do this! 

I'll likely be hung over from a last night with BigSoberRon on Symphony but we can try!  I was just going to use Lyft from Miami to Port Everglades getting off Symphony at my leisure since there is no point getting to Serenade too early.  I might need to find a laundromat though.  

4 hours ago, Joe01 said:

For Southampton - it's the demographic. They feel it is full of tacky Brits or 'chavs' as Brits would call them. I don't mind it personally, but they seemed to hate it and to my dismay, never shut their mouths about it when given the opportunity. I plan to cruise solo in 2020 and will hopefully get back to my first love Indy then, but we have a special celebration in 2019 so I'm stuck with them again for next year.

I did B2B on Harmony and Symphony, but those were 14 nights in total. I don't want to do 3 turnaround days to get 2 weeks (which is what I say is needed to justify flying to Florida from Scotland). 1 was enough on HM & SY.

Chavs?  Oh no.  I'm sailing out of Southampton in August and I never expected that.  Is it because RCCL is considered a step down from Cunard?  

2 hours ago, cruise-y said:

Chavs?  Oh no.  I'm sailing out of Southampton in August and I never expected that.  Is it because RCCL is considered a step down from Cunard?  

I wouldnt worry about it, doesnt matter where you go in the world there will be some idiots, be it brit, american or from outer mongolia

4 hours ago, cruise-y said:

I don't think it will be much of a problem. Just don't expect a sunbed! It just wasn't their cup of tea. 

Probably thinking of Symphony again for 2019 and then I can finally do Independence as a solo cruiser in 2020. Alaska will need to wait until a Voyager or Freedom Class goes there (not expecting Oasis any time soon).

15 hours ago, twangster said:

I'll likely be hung over from a last night with BigSoberRon on Symphony but we can try!  I was just going to use Lyft from Miami to Port Everglades getting off Symphony at my leisure since there is no point getting to Serenade too early.  I might need to find a laundromat though.  

I forgot you are coming into Miami.  I'll probably be gone by the time you get up to me, bummer.