Our Navigator March 10, 2019 is Sold Out. Should I Worry?

I like checking our cruise periodically on Royal's site to see price changes etc. Seems like our particular cruise, Navigator of the Seas March 10-15 of 2019 is sold out.

Should I be worried about it being packed? I've only sailed on one RCL cruise before this one (Brilliance), so not sure what to expect.

On the good side, it will probably mean more people for myself and my twin 15 year old girls to meet.

Don't be surprised if it opens back up.  With 200+ days people will cancel reservations, other people will book them, more people cancel, etc.  

Until final payment due date lots of people make changes. 

No need to worry, most cruises sail full regardless when they first start to sell out.

Current indicators point to dry dock completing in early February.

Dry docks and refurbs are well planned out to the minute.  Odds are that another ship is scheduled to arrive for some other sort of work at that facility right after Navigator.  It would be very unusual for them to extend a dry dock as it is happening.  Possible but highly unlikely.  In fact I bet the contractors doing the work would face stiff penalties for missing the due date.  Missing by weeks is unheard of.  

Oops..my bad.  I had the wrong ship in mind.

However, like @twangster said, that week in spring break in Ontario, Texas, and parts of Florida (according to people in my FB group for my own March 10 sailing).  Combine that with Kids Sail Free (that sail date qualifies) all that makes it a popular sailing.  So, in answer to your original question, yes, it will probably be packed.  But many ships sail full these days.....

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cruises on either side are still available so I'm guessing it's spring break and being a 5 night cruise it is popular with families since it will be cheaper than a 7 night cruise on another ship that week.

That's why we chose it. ? Never been to Miami, and my girls' Spring Break.

Just now, alamode123 said:

Oh now I'm pissed. What do I do with the non-refundable airline tickets?

If you booked with a travel agent, have them contact RC about getting some kind of dispensation for that.

If you booked directly, call up and ask for money towards the change fees.

22 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

I'm just SOOOO pissed right now

I feel how pissed you are. I would be too.  Does any of the alternatives that Matt lists work at all for you?  Please try to get a hold of them ASAP or your TA ASAP, as others will be rushing to get that perfect room too. I feel terrible for you, this sucks big time.

Screw Royal. I absolutely hate them.

If I just say screw it, Im out over $2000 US on flights. I cant do another week because its March break, so the first half of the email is worthless. I get a whole $100 to book a new cruise which are booked solid. The only semi equivalent room is out of Ft Lauderdale at $950 more US, and its half the size of the corner large panoramic room we had, on a ship my girls dont want to be on.

8 months out. March break. $100 credit. Could they do any less?

Screw you Royal.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

How about a 6 night on Adventure?  Prices were decent for that sailing about a month ago.  I haven't looked since.  It leaves the same day (on the 10th) but out of FLL.

Thats the one thats $950 US more than I paid. Thats about $1400 more Canadian.

18 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

Thats the one thats $950 US more than I paid. Thats about $1400 more Canadian.

Did you price out the one on Indy that I mentioned above?  We were booked on that one (but I have cancelled it) and it was a good price for 5 nights.  It leaves a day earlier though.  Not sure if that works for you.

Something similar happened to me. RCCL cancelled a cruise to change itineraries. We had two balcony cabins. My son was unable to go another time. Our offer was also $100. OBC if we rebooked within a few weeks. This all transpired during Thanksgiving- Christmas season We are Diamond C&A members  

Several calls later, we rebooked; paid more for outside not balcony cabins and no OBC. 

We felt screwed! 

We ended up

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Did you price out the one on Indy that I mentioned above?  We were booked on that one (but I have cancelled it) and it was a good price for 5 nights.  It leaves a day earlier though.  Not sure if that works for you.

Independance leaves Saturday, the of oour flight in, but we dont get in until 4, and its other cruise is Thursday to Sunday. Our return flight is saturday.

6 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

they will give me $400 per guest, which will pay for the flight change charge. Problem is, it's March break. The costs of the actual flights have almost doubled since I booked.

I know its a lot to process and deal with in a few hours.  I hope it works out for you and your family.

Are you working with a travel agent?  This is an example where someone who is used to working through these situations and has dealt with the before can be an invaluable resource.  If you are able to find another cruise you may be able to transfer that booking to an agent.  

MEI Travel who sponsors this site has this kind of experience.  They may not be able to assist with the original booking if its more than 60 days since you booked but you can consider them for the rebooked cruise. 

10 hours ago, alamode123 said:

yes, I'm with MEI. I'm looking over my options, but unless they wow me with customer service, I'm NEVER booking with Royal again. You don't screw over a ship full of customers for a few extra dollars.

I agree with your opinion, and I might feel the same. One point though......have you priced these chartered sailings. They are sometimes 2 or 3 times what you or I would pay for a regular cruise. We check these chartered prices sometimes if it sounds like something that might be fun. As of yet, the saying goes "not enough sugar for a dime".

RCI ,however, must see it as enough extra profit to justify pissing off a bunch of people. Sounds like business 101 in the US.

11 minutes ago, L454S said:

I agree with your opinion, and I might feel the same. One point though......have you priced these chartered sailings. They are sometimes 2 or 3 times what you or I would pay for a regular cruise. We check these chartered prices sometimes if it sounds like something that might be fun. As of yet, the saying goes "not enough sugar for a dime".

RCI ,however, must see it as enough extra profit to justify pissing off a bunch of people. Sounds like business 101 in the US.

At this point I can't find the chartered cruise on this date.  It may be that company hasn't announced it yet or it could be a private charter for a corporate event that won't be made available to the public (or maybe I just haven't found it).  Most theme cruises are announced more than 8 months away so they can be marketed successfully resulting in a full ship.   

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/full-cruise-ship-charters.html

13 hours ago, alamode123 said:

yes, I'm with MEI. I'm looking over my options, but unless they wow me with customer service, I'm NEVER booking with Royal again. You don't screw over a ship full of customers for a few extra dollars.

That's what Royal does and is doing......we all know they push for max profit....eliminate and downgrade perks, charge more for everything else......this is just another example on a large scale of what happens when a company becomes so big and successful....they don't care about the customers or clients that got them there.

If this ever happens to me with Royal, I would very quickly look at changing cruise companies and loyalties!

15 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

That's what Royal does and is doing......we all know they push for max profit....eliminate and downgrade perks, charge more for everything else......this is just another example on a large scale of what happens when a company becomes so big and successful....they don't care about the customers or clients that got them there.

If this ever happens to me with Royal, I would very quickly look at changing cruise companies and loyalties!

Royal will never, ever, EVER get a dime from me as long as I live, and everyone I know will be told this horror story.

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, cj34f said:

Anyone know who charted the ship in March??  We had the next cruise and had to stand line for hours because these assholes partied all night and would not get up and get off the ship!

I looked it up and it was basically a party group. It was called the Dream Weekend Cruise - I went to their webpage on my work computer and now wish I had not. There was a lot of skin showing in the photos from their events. Curious parties have been warned!