Galveston Nearing Deal On Oasis Class Ship, New Terminal!

On 10/27/2018 at 5:17 PM, cameron7763 said:

Oh goodness no. Baby steps haha. Might need to start with a Voyger class ship now that I think about it. Maybe have Liberty replace Adventure and send the Adventure to LA 

Adventure was already shown on a Facebook group to be staying in NJ all through 2020, looks like it may be covering some of the summer itineraries that Anthem has been doing up until now while the latter is sailing out of Southampton. They also use Adventure to service those CA/NE itineraries that go all the way to Quebec, and I'm not sure the difference in size / draft between Voyager and Freedom class is small enough to allow a Freedom class to do those sailings.

There was some speculation on another thread here that Liberty might go to NJ after an Oasis class arrives in Galveston, but from the context of still having two ships covering NJ departures.

From what I am hearing from local threads is the Liberty will leave Galveston in 2020 to be replaced by the Symphony of the Seas... Again nothing officially confirmed yet, just what I am hearing. As of right now, I would consider this only a rumor, but it does make sense if you look at the Oasis moving to Miami in late 2019 after drydock. Looks to me that Oasis may replace Symphony until the Oasis 5 arrives in 2021.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:54 AM, twangster said:

A fifth Oasis ship in Florida is too much capacity so in that sense they need to find another Oasis class home port once OA 5 comes along.  Any bets what they do with Liberty?  

Most likely Florida...Reason being most of the amenities of the ship are intended for warmer climates.

I believe RCCL will deliver an Oasis-class ship to Galveston before the new RCCL terminal is completed which may cause a bit of an issue because Carnival uses terminal 2 on Saturdays...Hinz the reason for Liberty Leaving. Once the 3rd terminal is completed I suspect another freedom class ship will arrive to take over the Saturday departure itineraries with an Oasis-class ship leaving on Sundays.

• 5 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Texas cruiser said:

I do agree that RCCL needs to spice things up a bit. I have heard the reason for the smaller class like Enchantment and the Vision are there not just for the 4 and 5-day cruises, but eventually Cuba. I hope that RCCL will do some Bahamian cruises, but they don't want to take away the revenue from Florida ports. Also, regarding the third terminal announcement... Word is that the announcement will be made when they release the 2020-2021 deployments which happen in late November or December.

I'm 100% with twangster  on this topic.  Cheapest 7 nt  Royal cruises for a reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TERMINAL 3 UPDATE: Here is an update on the Galveston Terminal 3 project. This was posted in the Galveston daily News today.

Royal Caribbean and the Port of Galveston signed a memorandum of understanding in December. The port of Galveston trustees approved the deal in January. However, a final lease agreement has not been signed due to unspecified leadership changes at Royal Caribbean.

A Royal Caribbean spokesperson confirms that nothing has changed with their intentions to construct a new,  state-of-the-art, cruise terminal in Galveston, and plans are continuing to move forward. Royal Caribbean has already sent survey crews and divers to inspect the condition of the new terminal site.

The Port Board of Trustees  unanimously approved the spending of $300,000 to begin engineering work to collect physical data of the site, and for pavement work at another location to allow relocating of facilities from the Terminal 3 site to a new location.  This move expresses confidence by the Port of Galveston that the deal will be finalized soon. 

Passenger fees were increased from $8.30 to $15 per passenger on January 1 of this year. That has generated over $500,000 in new income for the port so far this year. That will help fund the Port’s cost for the new work going into Terminal 3.

15 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Passenger fees were increased from $8.30 to $15 per passenger on January 1 of this year.

Ouch!  Hefty increase.  

On the surface it may seem like "Oh so what?  If spending $2,000 on a cruise who cares about a 90% increase in port fees"  but wow. 

Looks like the City of Galveston has found it's cash cow.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Texas cruiser said:

I have heard Galveston is getting not just an Oasis class ship, but also an Icon class. Anyone hearing the same?

Only rumors.

Icon class will be powered by LNG and requires special refueling facilities that can provide LNG in bulk to a ship.  So far no port in North America has this capability.  Carnival also has plans to build LNG ships.  Initially Port Canaveral is known to be thinking about or working on LNG fuel facilities but there is local opposition from residents who fear it may be unsafe and blow up.  Local fire departments seem to support the concept.  Since Carnival also has an interest in LNG it would be logical for the Port of Galveston to evaluate LNG fueling capabilities.  

If we hear that Galveston is exploring the concept of LNG fuel capabilities that would be a pre-cursor to the possibility that Icon class MIGHT come to Galveston.  No LNG on the Port roadmap is a sure bet that Icon class is NOT coming to Galveston.

1 hour ago, OrlandoC said:

Mardi Gras sails out of Canaveral next year so the port needs to be setup for LNG by then. 

New York as well so Galveston will have some other ports as reference. 

One would think given the industry in Texas that LNG wouldn't be a hard sell to invest in.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Only rumors.

Icon class will be powered by LNG and requires special refueling facilities that can provide LNG in bulk to a ship.  So far no port in North America has this capability.  Carnival also has plans to build LNG ships.  Initially Port Canaveral is known to be thinking about or working on LNG fuel facilities but there is local opposition from residents who fear it may be unsafe and blow up.  Local fire departments seem to support the concept.  Since Carnival also has an interest in LNG it would be logical for the Port of Galveston to evaluate LNG fueling capabilities.  

If we hear that Galveston is exploring the concept of LNG fuel capabilities that would be a pre-cursor to the possibility that Icon class MIGHT come to Galveston.  No LNG on the Port roadmap is a sure bet that Icon class is NOT coming to Galveston.

Galveston is already LNG capable with an LNG plant located just south of Galveston in Freeport. Also they are in the process of building a plant in Texas City. Port Canaveral gets their LNG from out of state. "BA" Bermello Ajamil & Partners the company that has been hired to build the new terminal states the following in their brochure: https://www.bermelloajamil.com/flipbooks/MaritimePublication2019/36-37/index.html

19 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

Galveston is already LNG capable with an LNG plant located just south of Galveston in Freeport. Also they are in the process of building a plant in Texas City. Port Canaveral gets their LNG from out of state. "BA" Bermello Ajamil & Partners the company that has been hired to build the new terminal states the following in their brochure: https://www.bermelloajamil.com/flipbooks/MaritimePublication2019/36-37/index.html

Port Canaveral resorted to Georgia when local residents freaked out at the idea of LNG storage near them.  Naturally the residents of Texas and the coast are much more friendly to oil and gas.  

• 2 weeks later...

On LOS right now. Talked to NextCruise this afternoon and the agent said Oasis is coming to Galveston, just not sure when. I said, yes that the rumor was when the new terminal was finished that an Oasis class was coming. I said I heard Allure was coming and the agent said, no, it will be the Oasis. The agent said RCL hasn’t advertised it yet because they are waiting on the terminal to be closer to being finished. Exciting if that’s what actually happens. Of course, things could change tomorrow. 

On 5/31/2019 at 2:28 AM, twangster said:

Ouch!  Hefty increase.  

On the surface it may seem like "Oh so what?  If spending $2,000 on a cruise who cares about a 90% increase in port fees"  but wow. 

Looks like the City of Galveston has found it's cash cow.

I be gladly pay this very this small fee for a new state of the art terminal. Remember on a $2,000 cruise this is only a 0.3% increase. 

7 hours ago, kadmgs said:

On LOS right now. Talked to NextCruise this afternoon and the agent said Oasis is coming to Galveston, just not sure when. I said, yes that the rumor was when the new terminal was finished that an Oasis class was coming. I said I heard Allure was coming and the agent said, no, it will be the Oasis. The agent said RCL hasn’t advertised it yet because they are waiting on the terminal to be closer to being finished. Exciting if that’s what actually happens. Of course, things could change tomorrow. 

I'll be on Oasis soon after her AMP later this year.  I suspect the new changes are going to make her the Queen of the Seas again.  Oasis in TX would be pretty epic.