Miami / Ft. Lauderdale

bomle

Hello fellow cruisers

My boyfriend and I are going on a 7 day caribbean cruise with Allure of the seas in September, and we have 1 week before departure to spend in Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area.  

We were wondering if we could get any suggestions about things to do or must sees? It is our first time in the area and actually also in Florida. We have rented a car so anything within driving distance is possible. 

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated! 

In Fort Lauderdale, there is a really good Mexican-style restaurant named La Bamba that both @Lovetocruise2002 and I really enjoyed on our separate trips. It's located in the same mall on 17th Street that has the Publix, right next door to the Embassy Suites. Really good food and awesome margaritas. For some reason Google Maps doesn't show it there, and the restaurant's web site says it's a different location in FLL, so hopefully they haven't moved since I went there in April.

That same mall is also a stop on the Beach Line trolley bus, so you could hop on that and for $3 each, ride all day to the nearby beaches, Galleria Mall, and other places along the route, or change trolley lines and see some other parts of Fort Lauderdale. Could be a good way to spend a day in the area.

29 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

In Fort Lauderdale, there is a really good Mexican-style restaurant named La Bamba that both @Lovetocruise2002 and I really enjoyed on our separate trips. It's located in the same mall on 17th Street that has the Publix, right next door to the Embassy Suites. Really good food and awesome margaritas. For some reason Google Maps doesn't show it there, and the restaurant's web site says it's a different location in FLL, so hopefully they haven't moved since I went there in April.

That same mall is also a stop on the Beach Line trolley bus, so you could hop on that and for $3 each, ride all day to the nearby beaches, Galleria Mall, and other places along the route, or change trolley lines and see some other parts of Fort Lauderdale. Could be a good way to spend a day in the area.

They actually have two locations in FLL.  One is on North Federal Hwy. (I've never been to that one) and the other, the one next to Publix, is on Cordova Rd., even though you can see it off 17th St.  Here it is on Google Maps.  And yes, love that place.  Great food, margaritas, and fried ice cream!!!

1705858819_Screenshot(26).thumb.png.db203842c20774b1e800b59ee21efbcf.png

I went to grad school at U of Miami and lived in South Beach for all my adult life until coming back home to NJ recently, so ask any questions. What types of activities do you enjoy? Miami has a great opera and you can wear one of your outfits from formal night. In that same complex, they have the ballet, symphony and shows. There are some great restaurants and bars, can do happy hour in Brickell. South Beach is full of things to do and see. Walk down Ocean Dr, just to see it, but do not shop or dine there. The prices are even more astronomical than regular South Beach high prices. Do Lincoln Rd which is a pedestrian mall full of boutiques stores and restaurants, art galleries, hooka bars, symphony, lounges, theater and more. Plenty of clubs. Please note that attire does matter for most venues. Have some authentic Cuban cuisine, go to Little Havana, Versailles (in Miami, it is pronounced in Spanish, Ver-sign-yes), the Gables. Visiting the Everglades is cool. You can take a tour bus to Key West for the day or stray overnight. 

Thanks for all the great advice it is highly appreciated! 

We have decided to go to Key West. We found a glass bottom boat in Key Largo that we might give a shot on our way down. We will also go on an everglades tour.

Overall we are sure it is gonna be a fantastic trip, only thing we are not looking forward to is the 10 hour flight from Denmark ?