CocoCay Stop cancelled and replaced with Miami

Vision of the Seas

December 29,2018 sailing out of New Orleans

Was scheduled for January 1 at CocoCay, January 2 at Nassau, and January 3 at Key West...

Just got e-mail from RCCL stating CocoCay stop in cancelled due to construction and is being replaced with a wonderful stop in Miami...

Our relaxing beach day is gone... I'm sure the Miami excursions with be wonderful and the tour guides will be completely sober at 8am on New Year's Day...

Any other affected sailings at this point???

So far other ships such as Anthem, Grandeur, Enchantment and Mariner are retaining their January and February calls on CocoCay.  This appears to impact only Vision and only January and February.  Vision's 1/26/19 and 3/2/19 itineraries have not dropped CocoCay.

They've updated the booking engine this morning to reflect the change. 

916066385_VisionMimaicalls7-12-18.thumb.jpeg.3beefa6aebb9e995a15804307857002b.jpeg

Emails went out last night at midnight.

Dear ,

We look forward to welcoming your clients' aboard their January 5th, 2019 Vision of the Seas cruise. Before they embark on an amazing adventure we wanted you to share an itinerary update with them.

While we are transforming our private destination, CocoCay, into Perfect Day at CocoCay, we have experienced a minor delay. As a result, we've had to replace their visit to CocoCay with the beautiful Miami, Florida.

It's important to us that every moment of their vacation is extraordinary and we're sorry for the change. However, Miami is packed full with great activities and shopping opportunities. Enjoy the Frost Museum for a thrilling educational experience. Or lounge on world-renowned beaches. Otherwise, if your clients are more into exploring nature, the Everglades offer the only subtropical preserve in North America! Whatever they do, there's an activity for everyone.

For your convenience, their updated itinerary is outlined below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sat

New Orleans, Louisiana

4:30 PM

Sun

Cruising

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Miami, Florida

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Wed

Nassau, Bahamas

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

Thu

Key West, Florida

10:00 AM

7:00 PM

Fri

Cruising

Sat

New Orleans, Louisiana

7:00 AM

Any pre-paid shore excursions scheduled for CocoCay will be refunded to their original form of payment. Within the next 2 business days, they will receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of their refund details. Then they will be able to book new excursions for Miami online via our Cruise Planner at http://bit.ly/RCCruisePlanner.

We thank you for your understanding. We can't wait to welcome your clients' onboard the beautiful Vision of the Seas soon.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Brand

2 minutes ago, Scatmanjack said:

So they are screwing the people only on the smallest ship??? Nice...

I noted that as well.  Perhaps more ships will be diverted in the coming days.  If altering just Vision allows them to launch Perfect Day on time, they must be on the verge of just completing it on time such that a few uninterrupted days of construction will do it.  I wouldn't be surprised if more ships divert as more construction delays occur - it's the islands, there are always delays.  Look at the CocoCay pier, it's already six months behind schedule.

Throw in a glancing blow from a hurricane in the coming months and there will be more delays leading to more ships dropping CocoCay.  (in my opinion)

Sounds like they are bringing in some of the really large items that will require the pier to dock and unload.  Assuming they have to close it for a day to do so then it makes some sense that they are cancelling the smallest ship so as to affect the smallest number of passengers.

Not that I wouldn't be as angry as anybody at this.  However I will give them credit that they did this before the final payment date.

2 minutes ago, NS8VN said:

Not that I wouldn't be as angry as anybody at this.  However I will give them credit that they did this before the final payment date.

In these days where non-refundable fares are king, that is little consolation but you are correct, at least they are giving us lots of notice. 

As more delays happen and they begin cancelling other ships on much shorter notice next year those folks will probably be worse off compared to us.

I just checked my itinerary for the Grandeur Dec 13, 2018 sailing, and CoCo Kay is still on but Freeport was dropped and an overnight in Orlando was added.  I guess I will have to stay tuned in to future developments,  Orlando wouldn't be my choice for an overnight but that just means more ship time.

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

My two cents here...it may not be much of a loss to miss Coco Cay as the renovations go on.  Even now, according to a scope from yesterday, many parts of the island are sectioned off and unusable.  Imagine as time goes on....

Well... on a previous visit I never ventured to the undeveloped part of the island and had no plans to do so on future visits so for me that's a moot point.  I have six five cruises booked with stops in CocoCay.  Three of those are in 2018 including a stop there in a few weeks. 

I am in total agreement with other comments I've read on this subject.  I would rather circle around out in the ocean and have a great sea day than pull into Miami for the day.  While I completely understand why these changes are occurring (and I won't be surprised to hear of more just like them) I would not want a stop in Miami.  I have 2 trips on Anthem B2B that include Coco Cay in Feb. 19 so I won't be surprised if this delay/rescheduling pushes back into those as well.  These kinds of inconveniences are bound to happen.  I just hope that it is all done when I go BACK to Coco Cay in Feb 2020 on my Star Class cruise.  I hope it's all done by then.

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am in total agreement with other comments I've read on this subject.  I would rather circle around out in the ocean and have a great sea day than pull into Miami for the day.  While I completely understand why these changes are occurring (and I won't be surprised to hear of more just like them) I would not want a stop in Miami.  I have 2 trips on Anthem B2B that include Coco Cay in Feb. 19 so I won't be surprised if this delay/rescheduling pushes back into those as well.  These kinds of inconveniences are bound to happen.  I just hope that it is all done when I go BACK to Coco Cay in Feb 2020 on my Star Class cruise.  I hope it's all done by then.

Yeah, stopping in Miami is a no-go for me.  Leaving from there is fine, but not stopping there.  I'm probably going to take the $100 NRDB hit and apply the remaining FCC to Alaska 2019.

I think a lot will hinge on hurricane seasons and any impacts from storms, even weak tropical storms that run through the Bahamas.  If they are on the bubble now and canceling just Vision to get it done, any storm activity of any strength will induce more delays that will impact more stops there.

By starting to offer Perfect Day excursion sales they've put themselves between a rock and a hard place.  They'd be better to just cancel all ships for January and February and  'Get Ur' Done".

I'm projecting a lot of PA announcements... "Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain.  Unfortunately due to the weather we will not make our call into CocoCay today".  (before and after the pier is complete).

16 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Interesting...I am considering a Grandeur 9 night sailing with a Coco Cay stop on 1/10. In the dummy booking, it said there was an itinerary change, but Coco Cay still appeared.

Jay, I don't see a Grandeur cruise on January 10.  There are 9 day cruises on the 3rd and the 24th and a 12 day cruise on Jan 12th but that one doesn't mention Coco Cay.  I wanted to look b/c I wanted to see what the itin change ribbon looked like.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Jay, I don't see a Grandeur cruise on January 10.  There are 9 day cruises on the 3rd and the 24th and a 12 day cruise on Jan 12th but that one doesn't mention Coco Cay.  I wanted to look b/c I wanted to see what the itin change ribbon looked like.

I think I was off a day...it looks like it's scheduled for 1/11...

image.thumb.png.27a3ebae1e4a001bb1185ee1d9383682.png