Queen of Cancelling Cruises and BOY am I paying for it!!!!!

I feel like the queen of cancelling cruises lately.  Ugh.  But I have questions, and I was hoping this group could help me with.  Let me try and make this LONG story short:

Cancelled a cruise last January.  We were in a suite so we lost $100/pp and received $450 in Cruise Credits.  Those cruise credits "supposedly" said I had to cruise by 2/3/19 BUT I booked another cruise for July, 2019 and Royal accepted them and put them towards our cruise balance.

Well, we are now having to cancel the July, 2019 cruise.  Please don't ask why...it's depressing.  Anyways, again another one of those awesome Non-Refundable Grand Suites...so we lose money again ($100/pp) but we will get another $450 in Cruise Credits.  Here are my questions:

• Can I ask for my other cruise credit back as well?  The one I applied to the cruise balance?  So essentially, receiving $900 in Cruise Credits back from Royal?

• I have an upcoming cruise in 60 days (that I am NOT canceling).  Can I use my Cruise Credit toward that cruise even if we've paid the cruise in full already?  Would they give me my cruise credit as On-Board Credit?  P.S. I realize I can only use my Cruise Credit, not the entire $900.

• OOOOOOOOOOOOOR...should I wait to cancel the cruise so my Future Credit lasts longer?  Final payment on the July, 2019 cruise isn't due until April 1, 2019.  Should I cancel in March so I have a year to use all the Cruise Credit received?

P.P.S. I had no idea "Cancelling" could be spelled also with only 1 "L".  Ha!  You learn something new every day!

Thank you in advance for the help!! 

Love, 
Cruise Cancelling Almost-Expert

Oh Lindsay I feel your pain! Although my issue isn't with RC (yet), it's with that other cruise line that parties too much but supposedly have great burgers.  I can't answer your questions, but I have $400 hanging around that I have to book that other cruise line by March 2019 or lose it.  Did you book all of these through RC or a TA? If it's a TA I would let them fight your battles.  If through RC, good luck! What you say makes sense to me, however one never knows depending on who you get on the phone!   I wish you luck and please let us know how this plays out.  I have 2 future RC cruises myself in the infamous Grand Suite Non-Refundable so I also have interest in your outcome! 

• Can I ask for my other cruise credit back as well?  The one I applied to the cruise balance?  So essentially, receiving $900 in Cruise Credits back from Royal?

When you booked and they accepted the $450 FCC and applied it to this cruise, did they also require and charge an additional $450 deposit?

If the FCC satisfied the deposit requirement I wouldn't think you could double dip on it. 

If you had to pay a separate deposit then you *might* have a shot but in doing so they will likely see the original 2/3/19 date for the 1st FCC and reinstate them with that requirement, if they allow it to be re-issued at all.

• I have an upcoming cruise in 60 days (that I am NOT canceling).  Can I use my Cruise Credit toward that cruise even if we've paid the cruise in full already?  Would they give me my cruise credit as On-Board Credit?  P.S. I realize I can only use my Cruise Credit, not the entire $900

Unlikely with only 60 days remaining.  It's past final payment due date so I going out on a limb and guessing you won't be able to do this.  Prior to final payment due date (90 days) you might have be able to do so.

• OOOOOOOOOOOOOR...should I wait to cancel the cruise so my Future Credit lasts longer?  Final payment on the July, 2019 cruise isn't due until April 1, 2019.  Should I cancel in March so I have a year to use all the Cruise Credit received?

Interesting question.  Was the 1st FCC expiring date 2/3/19 based on cruise date or date you cancelled the 1st cruise?  The websites references the "issue" date:

Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date.

@Lindsay I don't have an exact answer but I do have a situation that mirrors yours in a way...

Originally, I booked Anthem for 2 staterooms and ended up going to one.  The cancellation of one room ended up with a $150FCC for my daughter.  We then took this $150FCC and applied to a booking on Indy for March 2019.  In January, I stumbled across a cruise for March 2019 that I would rather go on over Indy so I cancelled that one and re-applied the FCC to the new March 2019 sailing on Harmony.  Well, two months later, we ran into KSF for that Harmony sailing.  The terms of the FCC is that it must be applied to guest who is paying a cruise fare.  With KSF, they technically are not, so the $150FCC is now lost again.  It expires this October.  I just booked a cruise on Mariner at the end of May.  I called Royal back (because I still have the original FCC in my possession) and explained the situation to them and they allowed me to use it on our Mariner sailing coming up.  They just asked for the number on and they were able to track the history of it.

Hope that helps.

18 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Did you book all of these through RC or a TA? If it's a TA I would let them fight your battles.  

I have 2 future RC cruises myself in the infamous Grand Suite Non-Refundable so I also have interest in your outcome! 

No TA, I do all booking/cancelling on my own.  I now FINALLY see the advantages of a TA.  I really don't want to deal with this stuff!  Ugh.

Yes, I will definitely let you know how this plays out.  

18 hours ago, twangster said:

When you booked and they accepted the $450 FCC and applied it to this cruise, did they also require and charge an additional $450 deposit?

If the FCC satisfied the deposit requirement I wouldn't think you could double dip on it. 

If you had to pay a separate deposit then you *might* have a shot but in doing so they will likely see the original 2/3/19 date for the 1st FCC and reinstate them with that requirement, if they allow it to be re-issued at all.

Unlikely with only 60 days remaining.  It's past final payment due date so I going out on a limb and guessing you won't be able to do this.  Prior to final payment due date (90 days) you might have be able to do so.

Interesting question.  Was the 1st FCC expiring date 2/3/19 based on cruise date or date you cancelled the 1st cruise?  The websites references the "issue" date:

Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date.

Regarding your question about the $450 FCC Royal accepted...I had already paid the $750 deposit for the cruise long ago and they just applied the $450 FCC to the balance of the cruise.  

The 1st FCC of $450 that Royal applied to my July, 2019 cruise expired in 2/3/19 because that is when I cancelled the cruise.  That is when the FCC was "issued". 

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Lindsay I don't have an exact answer but I do have a situation that mirrors yours in a way...

Originally, I booked Anthem for 2 staterooms and ended up going to one.  The cancellation of one room ended up with a $150FCC for my daughter.  We then took this $150FCC and applied to a booking on Indy for March 2019.  In January, I stumbled across a cruise for March 2019 that I would rather go on over Indy so I cancelled that one and re-applied the FCC to the new March 2019 sailing on Harmony.  Well, two months later, we ran into KSF for that Harmony sailing.  The terms of the FCC is that it must be applied to guest who is paying a cruise fare.  With KSF, they technically are not, so the $150FCC is now lost again.  It expires this October.  I just booked a cruise on Mariner at the end of May.  I called Royal back (because I still have the original FCC in my possession) and explained the situation to them and they allowed me to use it on our Mariner sailing coming up.  They just asked for the number on and they were able to track the history of it.

Hope that helps.

What is KSF?

Just now, Lindsay said:

Regarding your question about the $450 FCC Royal accepted...I had already paid the $750 deposit for the cruise long ago and they just applied the $450 FCC to the balance of the cruise.  

The 1st FCC of $450 that Royal applied to my July, 2019 cruise expired in 2/3/19 because that is when I cancelled the cruise.  That is when the FCC was "issued".

I'd say then you have an argument to have the original FCC re-issued, but it will likely retain it's 2/3/19 expiration date. 

Given the timing and issue date for FCC's you are likely best to cancel the new cruise around the 100 day mark (just before final payment due date).

Just now, Lindsay said:

What is KSF?

Kids Sail Free - occasional promo that they run.

3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Just now, twangster said:

I'd say then you have an argument to have the original FCC re-issued, but it will likely retain it's 2/3/19 expiration date. 

This was exactly the case with mine.  The FCC came off the balance.  I still had to pay the $250pp deposit for everyone.