Ship Suggestions

In my 50's as well.  Where to start?  All ships?  Seriously I enjoy many different ships and the variety and differences between them. 

This is where a good travel agent can come in handy.  They know the right questions to ask and can guide you. 

Itinerary will play a big hand in this.  Do you like the idea of many sea days where you can relax and enjoy each other's company by a pool or with a good book on a lounger?  Are you seeking a port intensive cruise with lots of different places to explore together? 

Time of year will make a difference as well.  Peak times often include months when school is out and more families cruise.  Off-peak can mean fewer kids on board. 

Newer ships will have more whiz bang features like zip lines or bumper cars on board.  Those are fun without a doubt but ships a few years old that don't have all that stuff are great for relaxing. 

The larger ships including Freedom class have Broadway style shows on them.  The ships before those still have great entertainment but not full Broadway shows.  How important is entertainment in the evenings?

The core cruise experience across Royal Caribbean's fleet is similar and you can certainly have a relaxing cruise on any of them.  

I often recommend some of the newer ships to new cruisers simply because new cruisers may not be fully aware of everything a Royal Caribbean cruise can offer.  Relaxation is a big part of it, but did you know some ships have Broadway shows, zip lines, enrichment lectures, water slides, fine dining opportunities, jazz clubs, and more?

Odds are one or more of those items may have piqued your interest and that is something you would be interested in doing in addition to relaxing.

Here's a blog post that outlines itinerary recommendations for first time cruisers. I think it might be a good starting point for you: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/01/04/royal-caribbean-itinerary-recommendations-first-time-cruisers

Great advice from Twangster. 

We are in our early 70’s and don’t go for all the bells and whistles of the new ships unless we are traveling with our grandchildren. Personally  we love the Radiance Class ships having sailed on The Radiance, Serenade and booked on our third Jewel for 12 night Mediterranean. They're large enough but not overwhelming.

Maybe your TA can direct you to an itinerany on one of these beautiful ships from the early 2000’s. I know the Jewel has been refurbished. Not sure about the others  

Radiance class is a great class of ships. They have a wonderful lounge at the aft of the ship that allows for superb relaxation and views. I’m not sure where you want to sail out of but we have taken my parents and family on Brilliance out of Tampa during December. It’s usually a very quiet crowd and the weather is moderate. Another plus on Radiance and Freedom classes is that you can go on the Helipad at the front of the ship and they have benches. This allows for another opportunity to gaze at the sea and relax with the wind in your face. 

I have been on almost all the ships, from the smallest to the largest and have to say that the bigger ones offer a bunch of options and can keep you busy for a trip, while the small ones allow you to see the ship, find your favorite areas and relax. Either way, the pace of the cruise vacation is ultimately your decision and a Royal will cater to what ever you desire. 

YouTube and some members on here have great videos documenting the layout and venues on Royal ships, maybe that will help you. 

Good Luck!