Alaska Gold Rush Highlights SK62

KJ1231

We were on the Radiance of the Seas 6/22-6/29 and while in Skagway we had signed up for the Alaska Gold Rush Highlights. We paid $208 each for this excursion.

The description:

Discover Skagway’s rich gold mining history along the scenic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, viewing historic landmarks, panning for gold, and savoring a scrumptious buffet. Travel via vintage rail car, passing picturesque vestiges of the Klondike Gold Rush. Meet vivacious pioneer characters at Alaska 360 Dredge Town, where you’ll engage in gold panning. Relish a tasty menu of salmon and barbecue ribs while relaxing at Taiya Inlet’s Pure Gold Buffet. SK62

In actuality:

The "tasty" menu was moved to Alaska 360 Dredge Town and there was no salmon! The gold panning was a cheesy deal where they give you a pan with sand, stone and 8-10 flakes of gold in it. Dip it in water a few times to get rid of all but the gold, $9-$10 worth. Heard as high as $12. Anyway, of everything we did on the cruise this was our least favorite. I would not recommend any excursions that include Alaska 360 Dredge Town. And I hate saying that because the young people that staff the place are great....

I had heard of similar comments with respect to panning for gold excursions at any Alaskan port. 

Ironic as I think about it.  The original gold rush in 1897 was largely over-blown, over-hyped and over-stated with very few winners but a whole lot of people who were misled and lost everything.  Alaska excursions involving gold in some cases continue to maintain that phenomena 120 years later.

18 hours ago, twangster said:

I had heard of similar comments with respect to panning for gold excursions at any Alaskan port. 

Ironic as I think about it.  The original gold rush in 1897 was largely over-blown, over-hyped and over-stated with very few winners but a whole lot of people who were misled and lost everything.  Alaska excursions involving gold in some cases continue to maintain that phenomena 120 years later.

@twangster You are very correct. A lot of people (and horses) lost their lives in (still) the much hyped gold rush. Sutter's Mill, anyone? Here today, gone tomorrow (except to tour operators). 

On 7/10/2018 at 3:00 PM, twangster said:

And don't forget all the people who got rich selling pans, shovels, pickaxes, and camping supplies!