Restricted items

Balsam

Hi All,

First time cruiser, booked on Voyager from Singapore to Hong Kong in March 2019.

Will probably have a few questions that I can't find answers to, but the first one concerns items that are not permitted to be taken on board.

I usually carry a Leatherman tool with me whenever I travel (Obviously not in carry on for air travel), but I can't see if this is permitted on the ship? i see some places where it states "blades and scissors under 4" long are permitted", but others where it only mentions "scissors with blades under 4" long".

Does anyone know if I can take it onboard?

If not, is there a simple way to just hand it (and any other non-permitted items) over to security at embarkation, then collect on disembarking?

Cheers,

Alan

2 hours ago, Balsam said:

If not, is there a simple way to just hand it (and any other non-permitted items) over to security at embarkation, then collect on disembarking?

Yes, they will confiscate it at check in and then when you get off the ship at the end of the cruise, there will be table of confiscated items you can get it from.

3 hours ago, Balsam said:

Unless your trip includes some additional non-cruise portion where you will want to have the tool with you, it would be simplest to just leave the multi-tool at home.

Thanks for the responses folks.

The cruise is at the end of a nearly month long trip, so I would prefer to have it with me for the journey.

Is collecting items on disembarkation a pain?

Are tools like this, which only has a blade about the same size as a swiss army knife, permitted on board at all?

On my last RCL cruise they confiscated an extension chord I use for my CPAP machine. I've had the same chord (not a power strip) on all my previous cruises but now they're enforcing the rules more. What I found is that when I was trying to disembark at the end of the cruise, the line to pick up your confiscated items was long and moved very slowly. You could easily add 20-30 minutes to your disembark time. Just a consideration.

8 hours ago, kontraxed said:

On my last RCL cruise they confiscated an extension chord I use for my CPAP machine. I've had the same chord (not a power strip) on all my previous cruises but now they're enforcing the rules more. What I found is that when I was trying to disembark at the end of the cruise, the line to pick up your confiscated items was long and moved very slowly. You could easily add 20-30 minutes to your disembark time. Just a consideration.

Was the extension cord for the CPAP confiscated from your carry on or the bags that get brought to your room later? I'm wondering if this makes a difference...

27 minutes ago, kontraxed said:

I had it in my luggage like I always did before. I had to go to the naughty room to get my suitcase.

Thanks, this is good to know. I'll be going on a cruise next year with my mom who has a CPAP machine too so I'll make sure to tell her to put it and her cord she has for it in her carry on. Crossing my fingers that they are a bit laxer about those bags. From the stuff Matt and others have said on here and the podcast, it sounds like they are more willing to look the other way for certain things in carry ons vs. bags that end up in the naughty room. 

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

Thanks, this is good to know. I'll be going on a cruise next year with my mom who has a CPAP machine too so I'll make sure to tell her to put it and her cord she has for it in her carry on. Crossing my fingers that they are a bit laxer about those bags. From the stuff Matt and others have said on here and the podcast, it sounds like they are more willing to look the other way for certain things in carry ons vs. bags that end up in the naughty room. 

The power cord for a CPAP should not ever be banned.  That would be a violation of the ADA.  ( I think medical equipment is covered by the ADA or possibly a similar law)

A common extension cord to use with your CPAP can and has been confiscated upon boarding but Royal will supply you with an extension cord for medical use upon request.  They will also supply distilled water free of charge for use in medical equipment.  Ask your travel agent to note it on your reservation or ask your cabin attendant on day one.  If they failed to leave one in your cabin simply call housekeeping on your cabin phone. 

Power outlets near the bed? Is that standard for your level cabin, or was it a medical request?

We were on Mariner last week in a standard balcony room. We are fortunate not to need electricity for a CPAP or anything more medically necessary, but we did need some power and there were two 110-volt outlets on the desk, and that's all. Nothing by the bed or in the bathroom.

There was also one European outlet on the desk, but I  didn't bring any adapters, so I don't know if it actually had any power.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, spiralqueen said:

You actually don't need to take an extension cord with you. Just fill out the RCCL Special Needs form and an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water will be delivered to your stateroom on Day 1. If is is not waiting for you when you get to your room, just notify your stateroom attendant and it will delivered while you are at dinner.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Needs Form.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 6:29 AM, SPS said:

You actually don't need to take an extension cord with you. Just fill out the RCCL Special Needs form and an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water will be delievered to your stateroom on Day 1. If is is not waiting for you when you get to your room, just notify your stateroom attendant and it will delivered while you are at dinner.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Needs Form.jpg

Omg thank you so much for this! It didn’t even occur to me that a CPAP machine would be something to fill out this form for. I just submitted it and let my mom know about the power cord and distilled water and she was pleasantly surprised to hear about it. This is why I love this forum!