Hi,

First cruise in 4 weeks time with young kids (5 and 8).

Does anyone know if it is possible on the newly refurbished Independence to connect my kids games console to the in-room TV (Promenade View Interior)? Nintendo switch, HDMI required?

As much as I’m sure the cruise will have much entertainment, I don’t want my kids waking me up at o-crack sparrow in the morning and they’re sure to get bored of the cartoon channel during the 2 weeks. We’re also going to be cabin bound in the evening as we can’t exactly leave them to sleep while we hit the bars, so watching a downloaded movie from my iPad on the TV would be good. Obviously no point in me downloading oodles of content if my wife and I are going to be limited to watching on an iPad screen.

I have seen comments about some ships HDMI ports not being accessible and/or the remote not allowing TV input changes so bring a universal remote. Has anyone tried this on Independence since the refurb please or have any other experience to relay?

Thanks very much.

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

Does anyone know if it is possible on the newly refurbished Independence to connect my kids games console to the in-room TV (Promenade View Interior)? Nintendo switch, HDMI required?

As you have noted, the remotes don't have an input changer so you would have to bring a universal remote.  Moreover some new TVs have their inputs hidden/disabled.

In many suites, they have a DVD player of sorts that obviously requires an input change.  But in standard (non-suite) rooms I have not seen it.

On Indy before the dry dock the flat panel was a Samsung brand that I was able to manipulate using my Samsung remote from home.  I had to unplug a little RJ11 telephone type cable from the back of the flat panel.  This is a control cable that allows you to call up menus and do things like checking your onboard account.  With it plugged in I couldn't change the input.  

The panel itself was on a swivel mount that made it easy to access the back.  This was an interior cabin which should be pretty much the same as Promenade View minus the window to the promenade.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing they didn't replace perfectly good flat panels in the cabins during the refresh.