CocoCay Shallow Snorkeling

MuttMama

Good evening!

I was wondering if there was any shallow snorkeling on CocoCay?  Can we see animal life if we go in the water waist deep?  We don't mind swimming, but we aren't strong swimmers and would like to snorkel where we can still touch the ground.  I especially would like to be able to touch the ground if my vertigo acts up.  

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard Mutt! I have not been to CocoCay but I am an avid scuba diver and snorkeler. In order to see underwater marine life you have to find underwater structure, ie, a reef (natural or man made), grass covered sandbar, etc. Snorkeling off of a beach in waist to chest high water is similar to walking in a desert...and what will you see there? A lot of sand and no life. :27_sunglasses:

Close to shore the water won't be clear anyway because of all the people stirring up the bottom as they move around.  I found you had to get a few yards past the bulk of the people to actually see the bottom.  In general the snorkeling area is deeper than you can stand but not by a lot.  Of course, if you try to go down and push off the bottom, you'll disturb the plants and reefs you're trying to see.  There may be some areas around the perimeter of the snorkeling where you can stand on a more rocky surface but I'm not sure what the views will be like.  There are floating platforms in a few places where you can rest or hang onto the ladders and look around.