Dining room attire for teens

Paml514

In the Caribbean on non-formal nights that will likely be fine.  They might get away with it on formal nights but then again...

'Formal' is more of a suggestion.  It's a hotly debated subject with some folks loving it and some folks hating it. 

Shorts on formal night however might be pushing your luck. 

I was on the Oasis for the June 17th sailing in a loft suite so we ate in the coastal kitchen every evening.  On formal night a couple in their 30s with young children were dressed in shorts and flip flops, they must have been star class because a genie was talking to them the whole meal.    I dont dress up anymore for formal night so i had on slacks and a button up shirt.  About 25% were in coats and ties, 50% in slacks and shirts and 25% in shorts.  Last year on the Oasis we ate in the MDR and formal night about 50% in coats and ties,  25% in slacks and 25% in shorts.  Basically dress how you feel the most comfortable and dont worry what the others are wearing.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, MikeK said:

I was on the Oasis for the June 17th sailing in a loft suite so we ate in the coastal kitchen every evening.  On formal night a couple in their 30s with young children were dressed in shorts and flip flops, they must have been star class because a genie was talking to them the whole meal.    I dont dress up anymore for formal night so i had on slacks and a button up shirt.  About 25% were in coats and ties, 50% in slacks and shirts and 25% in shorts.  Last year on the Oasis we ate in the MDR and formal night about 50% in coats and ties,  25% in slacks and 25% in shorts.  Basically dress how you feel the most comfortable and dont worry what the others are wearing.

For our Alaska sailing, we have the 5 night dining package. Regardless of where we eat, save Windjammer, we will be wearing jeans or Khakis. We will be doing a lot of fishing and as such, would rather pack for fishing excursion weather and not formal night. Weather boots and layered clothing will take a lot of room in our suit cases, already. I agree with @MikeK, "don't worry what the others are wearing." As long as your comfortable. Heck, you will probably not see these people the following week ever again, and really, will you remember what your fellow cruise passengers wore at lunch, let alone the day before? Don't worry, be happy. ?

Along those lines, twenty years ago we were on our second cruise-11 night Hawaii- and the ship was teeming with passengers much older than we were (50). Many had walkers or scooters or canes or assistants. On one of the formal nights   I was mortified I had forgotten my matching shoes and my husband made everything all right when he said, “ Don’t worry about it. Most of these people will be impressed you can walk unassisted.”  LOL